Review: Fandyfire Rook (Cree XM-L T6 | 3 x AA or 3 x 14500)

O, and in that case I also used protected TrustFire 14500 cells …

I have read about the parasitic drain, but the wrote, that it isn’t really much. The same wrote a reviewer on CPF and I teste it for about 14 hours and lost only 0,03V (and it run for a few seconds), so the parasitic drain is less.

18sixfifty:
Could you please test this with your Rook: First you put in 3x 14500, use it a few seconds. Then put 3x AA inside and tell me, if it works without any problem.

I would be glad to try for you but I don’t have any AA batteries around.

My acquaintance had black shadow queen.
It had similar problem compare to yours.
His queen’s standby current was about 250mA.(it killed some 16340s)
He recived a replacement for that.
The new one wasted only 50uA in standby mode.
So I think your Rook has problem.
sorry for my bad english.

I wonder if eneloops can do 2-3A current… Then why have this lamp only 200lm at high? If XM-L get 2.6A, should be 800lm… Voltage is OK, 3.6v, current, too, so I don’t understand. Limit of the circuit?

The cells are in parallel configuration, so using eneloops will only give you 1.2V, not 3.6V.

Quick question. Is there a single reason why you would want to own this over a EA4? I only ask because it’s rated popular on Fasttech and some people seem to think it’s great. But it seems like it has quite a few drawbacks. I like the look but it seems like the EA4 does it all better for $10ish more.

I suppose it depends a lot on what batteries you prefer. I have a boatload of 14500’s and they are great in the rook. I actually really like the rook I have about 25 lights right now and it’s in the top three for ones that I actually use. It’s small yet it has a great beam, smooth flood nice throw too. I suppose if I had a bunch of eneloops around I might have gone for the EA4 instead. I don’t really see any drawbacks with this light. I guess it is supposed to have parasitic drain but I have had mine for a while and I don’t notice it. But then again I use it all the time. I suppose if I was going to set in on the shelf and not use it I would have to take the batteries out.

So basically the reason is: it’s the best value in a multi 14500 set-up, right? Because the EA4 is still a bit brighter. I mean I use a few 14500s, but it’s mainly for my sipiks that I use for work.

I got my Rook for 28 (26? Not sure now) wanna say it was before the EA4 came along…… definitely before fasttech sold it.

The current Rook & EA4 pricing would make me think hard about the EA4. When the EA4 was cheaper it would be a no brainer compared to current Rook price.

Still like my Rook though. I use it inside with eneloops.

Well for me that is the reason. Although I only paid $26 for mine so at that time it was half of what the EA4 would cost. Actually less because Fast tech didn’t have the EA4 then and other sites were more.

Given the two at today’s price and if I had good eneloops around I would probably go for the EA4.

Fair enough. I have the EA4 and love it, but when I browse Fasttech the Rook is always near the top of the list- and wondered if I was missing something. It makes way more sense if it’s around $25 though instead of the current price. Thanks for the quick responses.

can you remember if the led was on an 20mm or 16mm star

for those who worry about parasitic drain, this guy has a simple and neat solution.

just receive two of mine from WB.
the light is lack of consistent quality.

one is having AR coated lens, while the other one is having regular poor scratched glass lens.
the contact board also have signs of wear.

and have to agree, the thread is easy to be misrouted and damaged if turning the head in rush or heavy force.

Thanks just got this today. Was wondering what the difference was using 14500 vs AAs. -not anymore thx

Just a quick picture of my Rook with some of my other lights (EA4, Rook, SK68 clone, SC52, i3s). The Rook is the exact same size as the EA4.

I have been looking over and measuring my FF Rook, and i have determined there is just enough metal under the side “lands” that i can bore out the battery body to the size to hold a single 26650, or a single “C” size Alkaline, after machining out two spacers for the end cap and head area to lengthen it, to accept the longer 65mm Lithiums, and a modded base spring and forward contact plate. (This should give the Rook a better run time, and allow even a 18650 to work with a plastic side spacer.) also this will give me just enough room in the side of the battery tube to add a mini-clickie switch wired to the ground spring, to shut off the light and eliminate the parasitic drain when not in use.
Looks like i have a project mod here to do. :slight_smile:

I was reading older reviews, and I ran into this post, and noticed that Cone is at exactly 2000 posts.

I haven’t forgotten my promise, Joat. Nor did getting to 2000 go unnoticed by me. I will be giving one away. In the intervening two years, I gave the one I ordered away, so I’ve ordered another one and once I have it in my hands, there will be a GAW.

In the meantime, try to contain your excitement. :stuck_out_tongue: