Review: Fenix E01 - another review of classic

Nice post. Got the same light (same colour too) and carried with me wherever I go.

I bought one for my GF to keep on her key chain. 2 months later she had dropped it…
Good thing it was cheap.

Anyway, that one was also very purple, nothing like the beamshots in this review. If my memory serves me right it’s supposed to be quite purple, the Nichia led used is like that. I wouldn’t worry.

Don't hate on the kriesler 4000 other people thought the same thing .. it gets a 10 out of ten for toughness a Thrunite ti blows it away 30hrs on 3 lumens and the firefly version is 175 hrs ? It offers up a sweet tint to boot .. If they cleaned up the tint mess it might have some merit ..a purple light light to me ..is just unacceptable ...

I assume kriesler could probably find a eo1 on the cave floor from when a caveman used one in the Paleolithic era and dropped it because he thought the tint sucked and it was dimmer than a lit stick.

too funny :D

..well.. i should try a Thrunite Ti one day, just to make sure that it is not as likeable as my 8 units of e09.

*right now* my 1xAAA light on the table is E10 body (with perfectly working SS clicky) + ITP A3 head (and pocket clip) + Protected Gray Ultrafire 10440 (47.1mm long ones!!). beats da living cr*p out of the e01 ;)

And about ruggedness .. heat-shrink wrap does the trick.

Would love to see a pic of some heat shrink wrapped lights. That is a great idea that I wish I had thought of. On my larger lights like my UF-2100, I have used inner tube from a thin tire road bike and I get a rubberized light for free. Makes it more durable and grippy and warmer in the winter.

Here on my 1xAAA lights. The idea with party balloons makes it a perfect method.

Thanks very much! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

Thanks for the review. I had owned a Fenix E01 for a long time. Its resistant and reliable. But as far as I’m concerned its not enough for me. I have no use for a one mode ten lumen light. I need at least two modes and in comparison to other AAA Lights there are plenty other lights that do it better for the same price. Its a legend - true. But nothing more. For that reason I wouldn’t spend more than 6-7 $. Here in Germany the prize is ~16 $. Ridiculously high price.

And BLF informs me about superior lights at value prices. (ie Thrunite Ti)

Waiting for the Klarus Mi10 review :slight_smile:

If it had a better tint (and secondly pattern), I would have many more than I do now. Not the smallest, but a real work horse for it’s purpose. Once lubed and broken in, they have the best twisty action.

In case it helps someone, Chapstick lids make great diffusers for EO1’s.

These and the Gerber IU’s are all time classics in my book.

That’s good to know, thanks!

The tint on mine is a bit bothersome to me…I know it’s a $12 AAA light. I asked my dealer about it and was assured its normal and basically “brushed off”. So I thought I’d ask Fenix via email and was told after sending in photos that the engineers say “the beam of your light is normal”…and I could trade it via the dealer if it’s within their 15 days, which is a few days past. I now wish that I’d got a different AAA light on that order. There’s certainly others that are better around $15. I expected more out of Fenix from all I hear. Was going to get one of their head lamps and now rethinking it.

Yes, this for sure. I broke the lens on a Thrunite Ti in one week after dropping it in the driveway. Something I’ve done to my E01 50 times. The little thing keeps going and has found countless crayons under restaurant tables. It’s got its place no doubt - won’t be trading it off any time soon.

Have you tried the steel wool treatment on the led? It will get rid of the purple HOT SPOT and smooth the beam out to a “not as angry-intense purple spot on the wall”.

I felt like you when I first got my first of now 4 E01’s….but they are all tinted like that. It’s small enough to carry in a pocket and can save your butt when that time comes…and it will. I laughed when I read over at CPF about the guy who was sitting on the can in Starbucks and the lights went out….his little EDC saved his butt…LOL…and the tint really didn’t matter.

That is perfectly normal. E01 is known for bad tint (purple-ish). But other than that it’s a workhorse light, just works when you need it!

It’s still on my keychain, almost 2 years now. Still going strong.

for the additional input, guys. I know I just need to get over it…and I’ll definitely look into the steel wool treatment…I vaguely remember hearing something about it.

here it goes, so far web version: Klarus Mi10 flashlight review

I will create separate post here as well but have no time for it now - I’ll post more pics and will do some underwater tests :davie:

oh, and to not to forget – I’m working on Quark QPA / QP2A review and UltraFire TH-T60 and Maelstrom X10 to follow 8)

thank you too, I appreciate

I’ve got 2 E01s and both have nice white hotspot, but violet-ish corona, also the spill is more towards blue tint… but that’s something to expect on low-budget light

If you want perfect white tint, almost neutral and won’t mind spending extra, get Klarus Mi10 / X6 - became my fave’ EDC

Thanks for the great review! and welcome :slight_smile:

My Fenix E01 is acting weird :cry:
sometimes when i tighten the head up to have it powered on it starts to flicker and wont turn on. I need to keep unscrewing / screwing to have it working. I got it brand new couple of days ago from Amazon

Looking forward to your future reviews. Great pics in your Mi10 review.

Thanks!