Review: Foursevens Preon PenLight Olight P20 O'Pen (2xAAA, XP-G2)

What was really me? Imgur is being mean. I may have to start using Photobucket again. Ewww.

Darn I don’t see anything…….try another service?

Got my black O’Pen from Fasttech this morning (ordered before the price rose, and held on while they re-stocked with the problem fixed). It’s OK - nice beam, but I put it in my trouser pocket, clipped to the front, and went for a quick drive. Came home to find it very hot, on in full mode - don’t know how long for, but I’ll need to be careful with this. Certainly the last time I’ll put it in my pocket.

Oh no! Does the switch seem intermittent at all? Or is it easy to accidently turn on?

No, the switch is OK - just seems that it snagged when I got into the car. Just checked the battery voltage - I charged 4 eneloops a week or so ago in anticipation - all at 1.36v this morning. Now the ones I used in the O’Pen are at 1.26v.

Hopefully it will be OK in a jacket pocket, but I won’t be putting it in my trousers again. :slight_smile:

Very thorough! I like how you did it and the details you covered. All spot on, as the blue pen light I got for my wife is just as flawless and stunningly bright.

Trouser pocket carry? Really? I’d venture to say if you do that with ink pens you’ve got some ruined trousers! Let’s see, we bend to sit, bending creates compression, compression creates clicky engagement. Surprise! Light is on in pocket!

This is an elegant precision made instrument and it would seem obvious it needs to be treated as such. Carried in a shirt or jacket breast pocket is ideal. Lab coat or scrub pockets work quite well too.

Run times are, in use, perfectly satisfactory. When my wife uses it at work she uses it in short bursts and the Imedion AAA cells hold up just fine, surprisingly long lived in fact. Whether in the presence of patients, nurses or Dr.s the Foursevens Pen Light doesn’t fail to impress. It’s brightness, 3 modes, and the sleek pen like profile gets their attention every time. And my wife simply says “My husband loves me! :slight_smile: ” And she’s right. Wonder if she’d still feel that way if I’d given her the cheapest light I could find?

Lol, since the switch is a little scratchy (let's be honest hats off) if pushed at the very side, i thought that filling it with nano oil would solve the scratchiness. you know, under water, rubbing metal parts against each other ain't scratchy no more, so an oil bath should be even better.

i don't know what's going on, but now the switch has become really flickery.

maybe it has something to do with the oil? i am at loss.

nobody else has a flickery switch?

or does nobody mind? lol

No flicker issues, no nano oil. :stuck_out_tongue:

I should still be eligible for 10yrs FREE warranty service, maybe the nano oil evaporates over time and then the flickering wasn't my fault anymore H)

clever dino

kreisler. I usually have good luck getting dicky electrical contacts working with a very small amount off this squirted in wherever it can be. It is not much good for making horrible feeling switches feel good though. Good luck.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/CRC-5-56-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-400g.aspx?pid=1782&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc#Cross

thanks. i'll try WD-40. must be similar stuffz ;)

Do you have any compressed air? Try that first!

Carefully. Put it back together and watch it work smooth as butter. :slight_smile:

Isn’t a LBD a basic necessity for a woman? For those sexy nights? Hot nights when a gal wants to keep her cool? Date nights, when hopes and wishes are high? Then isn’t that a tactical ploy? So yes, yes it is!

Now available at DX too: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/21897

I recently acquired the Olight P20 from DX, black version. It is a better sample than the reviewed brown Foursevens sample but the fine differences may fall under sample variation and i cannot guarantee that it is fact that P20 is better than PenLight. There should be no difference. It is basically the same product from the same factory afaik. Therefore i will not emphasize what's better on my Olight sample.

There is another recent review effort by another Geman leviewer, please check out the op for its URL link: the top of my review contains a list of all known (textual) PenLight/P20 reviews in our community (not counting Russians or the China sorry dudes that's just me).

The O'Pen/PenLight is the only penlight i got but it is by far my favorite.

Could it be the anodizing? The black version is type III anodize (hard-anodize), the other colours are type II.

the black has a ~matte finish and feels less cheap, i would say so yes

Well based on the clearance group sale on this light it lasted 18 months. I suspect a short life due to high cost combined with minimal run time on High with alkaline batteries. Consumer level acceptable lights appear to me to need to have decent compatibility with alkaline batteries if they take battery sizes commonly available as alkalines. I personally have operated my O’Pen on Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries since day one for the improved run time.

Link to clearance sale on the Olight version.