Review: Ganzo G706 Double blade folding knife

Thanks for the review and price reduction info.

I ordered one for the curious design, although I have no need for rope cutting, but my young ones do own a motorsailer. I'll pass the knife on to them, once I have fully savored the apparently great workmanship.

Beautiful pictures _the_, made me look up the camera you used.

Great review, The !

i own this knive and i love it. As some already said, it’s the oem for the Gerber Remix 2. I got mines from Exduct, but i’m pretty sure i saw it later on dx cheaper (but with exduct you know you’re actually getting the knife). Mines were completely flawless. The milling is really good, and they were the sharpest knives i ever got. This is a knife specially designed for climbers (you guys know the Petzl Spatha?). The big hole makes it perfect for the carabineers and the serrated blade is intended for rope cutting. Can be opened single hand, but not flicked, which is a plus in this kind of knives for me . Another plus is that even if you carry it attached to your backpack or harness, it doesn’t look like a knife (some people seem to think anybody with a knife is a serial killer). Grip is pretty good using the hole for the index finger and the pocket clip is good too, but at least in mines it is kinda tight so fabric might be damaged if used too often IMO. I gave one as a present to my father-in-law (a German enginneer) thinking he would complaint and find flaws…. it turned he loved it.
@Nightcrawl : forget about batoning or doing this kind of things with this knife. It is more like some kind of specific purpose knife. Blades are shorter and thinner than usual because larger blades would be really dangerous when climbing. Zollamt stopped mine, and when I went to get them the guy didn’t actually realize they were knives… not sure if Polizei would do the same though (single hand + locking blades).

great review, thanks.
are there any other websites like exduct with other chinese blades?

do ut hink this would get in australia ? i really like it :stuck_out_tongue:

Great review! Excellent looking knife…

Here is a thread about Dealers.

Many of the knives from Deal Extreme and other dealers look nice but are made of poor quality materials.

Ganzo, SRM (SanRenMu), Land, Enlan/Bee, Navy, Inron and a few others are good quality.

When you say razor sharp, what do you mean? Because I’ll get my knives razor sharp, tree topping hairs. But others, razor sharp means not dull. Just wondering what other peoples ideas on razor sharp is. In addition to being a member here, I was a pretty active member over at the keeping sharp section at knifeforums.

Sorry for using that unscientific expression. I'm not a knife expert by any means..

I just meant that it's significantly sharper (out of the box) than any of my other budget knives have been. For example EL01 was sharp, but this was much sharper. Capable of whittling hair or easily cutting hair from back of my hand.

Literally razor blade…

both knives i got were sharp as those disposable blades (x-acto type). If you check the awesome :wink: pictures The posted, you’ll see the blade is almost straight. You could literally shave with it (i wouldn’t, just in case).

Ordered two Ganzo G706. Apparently the quality varies a bit.

Knife #1: The non-serrated blade does not lock. The indentation/notch for the frame lock (I know it is listed as liner lock but I call it a frame lock :p) is not large enough, so the blade does not lock making the knife pretty much useless.

Knife #2: Opening one of the blades was not "smooth" and made a gritty sound. Tried applying some lube and opened/closed the blade a few dozen times but the sound was still there. After some trouble I managed to remove the ring keeping the blade in place and cleaned/lubricated the plastic washers and the blade. Noise is gone and opening the blade is much smoother. The other blade has some very minor blade play and a small (but annoying) scratch on the blade.

However both knives were (literally) razor sharp out of the box.

Just received mine, 10 days from ordering. :slight_smile:

The knife looks great and came already pretty sharp. One blade. however, would benefit from some ring nut tightening, which isn’t quite a straightforward operation, as it seems firmly loctited in place.

Any advice on how to turn the ring nut without marring it would be appreciated.

I just used needle-nose pliers on mine. There are some very minor scratches visible in the notches, but I managed to remove the ring without the pliers slipping so no larger scratches on the knife after opening/cleaning/tightening it.

Too much loctite for that in my case, I’m afraid.

I’ll make a dedicated tool. A cutout in a 3mm steel plate with the connecting points dremelled to fit should do it.

Now my son in law has the knife, ready to take it to the boat. No hurry, the beefy liner locks are quite effective at keeping the blades from wobbling.

Nice review, thanks! Sticky’d.

I had dismissed this knife earlier before I saw this review, largely due to the strange pivot and partially naked blades. Suddenly my wallet isn’t so safe anymore :slight_smile:

From what I read the 4116 steel is equivalent to 420C (unlike the 8Cr13Mov equivalent to 440C), so it won’t hold an edge as well; considering the size and blade length is wasn’t designed for heavy use anyway. Also somewhat concerned how the thickness will feel for pocket carry, but the novel design is increasingly appealing to me the more I look at the pictures.

i just saw that fasttech have this knife as well now $9,15 shipping included
i’m a bit tempted to order this knife, mostly because of the looks. i haven’t bought any knives earlier, so i’m not sure if this would be a good knife.

The Gerbers are made in the same factory.

Hi Oscar!

I saw it too in Fasttech, cheaper and with free shipping. I got two some months ago in Exduct, and, as stated before, both were flawless (though not everybody was as lucky). I’m very happy with it, it’s very small and i love the possibility of carrying attached to my backpack (or harness when climbing) with a carabiner, so it’s easy to reach. Same size as the SRM 763, just a little bit ticker. Steel looks good, and it’s so crazy sharpen that cuts ropes like butter, (disclaimer: i do want to stress how sharpen it is) so even if the edge retention is not superb, it’s gonna be a long time before re-sharpening. It is a very good knife for its intended purpose, but not an EDC for most users. A knife with a different look but, at least for me, much “tastier” than most tacticool knives around. And around for 8 Euro here in Europe for such a knife…. I can’t even get a basic Mora for that price!!! (again, not supposed to be a mora substitute).
Hope it helps

Be care Oscar, if you pay attention to the photos and the text of the web you can see that it isn’t a ganzo knife, instead it is a copy of gerber (it can be worst than the “ganzo copy”). The model of fasttech isn’t the ganzo g706, it is a copy from a “unknow brand”.

Do you think it’s possible it is actually some of those stock leftovers that somebody forgot in a box in the factory :wink: ? I mean, this knife is not that popular and maybe not worth to fake ( relatively elaborate). Since they carry other srm’s and ganzo’s it looks logical to me. And if you check again the pictures, you’ll see that the adjustment and machining are pretty neat but (thanks Fasttech for quality pics) it is freaking dirty (old overstock, QC rejects…) and the box had some tough times too.
My bet goes for real OEM item but with possible minor flaws