REVIEW IMALENT DX80 COMPLETE.

Yeah it’s a black box. I certainly prefer seeing the 8 pink 30Q cells that I can charge in something like the Gyrfalcon All-88, so I can monitor each discharged cell’s voltage (and justify buying the Gyrfalcon).

You know, I've not be around long in this forum, but I do have three L6's and now soon two Q8's. It seems everything BLF does to get something off the ground is well thought thru and well engineered. If something like this every materialized, I'm sure everyone will know one way or the other, the best of intentions would have been done to make it as solid and reliable as possible. Every time some one sees my L6 it's always oohs and aahs, so I'm a fan.

Usually BLF projects can take a year or more from start to finish. Imalent likes to rush things to market without proper testing. So on one hand they are usually the first to have something neat (touch screen LCDs, 16k lumen lights, 32k lumen lights), but a lot of times the rushed development means they break or don’t work well and have to be recalled and then redesigned.

I think DBCustom is planning on adding a copper shelf inside his blf GT and mounting four xhp70.2 emitters along with four C8 sized reflectors. That will probably put out somewhere between 25k and 30k lumens right there. Maybe we could redesign just the head of the GT to support multiple emitters and reuse the lower light engine and battery tubes? It’s an idea going around.

I would love to see an optional head for the BLF GT. Maybe something the with the head with the size of the tube with a powerful led setup or something that uses a driver for extreme run times.

There are already good designs out there to be copied. The Acebeam X65 comes to mind.

Instead of 5 xhp35 and 12k lumen, we could do 5 xhp70.2 for 25k to 30k lumens. Active cooling could be used as well. With The Miller gone, we don’t have anyone to spearhead these BLF projects.

You know, I forgot all about another light that’s already being developed that’s going to be competition for this Imalent dx80 light. It’s going to be the Astrolux MF 03. It’s got eight of the xhp70.2 and it also has a single xhp35 high with a deep reflector in the center to give it better throw. It even looks like Lexel would be able to build a two-in-one driver to operate both the 70.2 and have a boost driver to operate the xhp35.

I am sorry I didn’t read the part about driver being fried because of mechanical lockout. Did it totally fry or was it also a few LEDs not working?
I did do a few mechanical lockouts, and I did notice, that it flashes briefly when unlocking mechanically. Is that normal?

This was really a fried driver with sound and smoke. So I thought the light was completely dead. The some emitters or partial emitters not working is a different problem.
I have no idea if your flashing is normal, but I suspect it is. It’s feasible that this is part of the programming of the light to prevent it from going full power after mechanically locking and unlocking it. You can always contact Imalent about it to be sure.

i had the acebeam x80 , saw the dx80 and sold the AB , the dx is sick !!!

love it

So Gearbest is just exchanging it with return postage paid by them. No hassle at all. I am just hoping the next one I get is not another dud! Otherwise that Astrolux MF03 looks interesting:)

I purchased my DX80 from Gearbest too and from tracking, it should be here Friday. Do you have to pay to ship it to them and then they pay to ship it back to you? Please let us know when your new head arrives and how it works. I'm thinking of leaving my DX80 on 5000 lumens until it drains down, and keep doing that every few days to see if any faults show up. If not, then I think it's off to a good start.

They pay the return shipping and when they ship back. I will let you know once it arrives.

That's very decent of Gearbest, especially after I read some really bad stories about other sellers.

Indeed.

I got my dx80 in the mail today and what a solid chunk of metal, Wow. I inspected everything and it's all good, not even a scratch. Unscrewed the battery pack and checked voltage and it's at 15.1V so I'm just charging it now. I like that the rubber charging boot is thicker than normal and that it is replaceable. Had to get out my magnifying glass to confirm that for sure and there really is a micro allen screw sunken nice and tidy inside a washer that secures the upper part of the rubber flap to the head. So far so good. Now I just need to find somewhere to test it out tonight where it does not offend anyone.

congrats , that torch will blow your mind , i had the X80 and it pales in comparison to the DX80

Thanks When I first put it in turbo tonight, I had the same thrill as when I got my first motorbike when I was 12. This flashlight is something really special. The cooler tint is just beautifully clean, pure and crisp, I am so happy with this purchase. I now have L6's, Q8's and now this in my higher end collection and I love them all but not much can compare to the blinding light of the DX80 at the moment for pure thrills.

find a piece of black paper and try set it alight LOL ( ive done that )

i read something like - the DX80’s light if shone on the floor is 3 times brighter than the sun ( i may be slightly incorrect there )

Haha, not sure if I'm game to try that, but I know it can do it no problem. I knew it would have had to been bright just by reading all the reviews etc, but nothing prepares one enough for the first time using it. Brightness would be an understatement.

here are some of my pics but bad quality - taken from my old nokia 6680