[Review] Impressive & Compact Sofirn SC18

Thanks for the review. The light is well worth the discounted price. I find the switch too small and hate that it is lit while the main emitter is on but off when the main emitter is off. The tail does lego with the magnetic SC31 but it increases the overall length.

No lens. Plastic TIR. Convoy S2+ TIRs basically fit (about 1mm too tall so bezel doesn’t quite screw down all the way but it’s not noticeable). The stock led is larger than 3535, which is the opening for the Convoy TIRs I have, so an emitter swap was necessary but I was doing that anyway.

I got mine yesterday. Out of all the lights I have, this one has the best UI for me. It’s really close to perfect.

If I had to carry it in a pocket, maybe not, but I already use my ancient Fenix LD-01 for that…

I liked it! Your review is just an exact description of the product with strengths and few defects, I read all in one breath, thank you.

Great review.

Very handy feature set on the Compact Sofirn SC18…

the magnet lets it stand on the fridge, or hang under a shelf, and the button light makes it easy to find in the dark.

the price is a great deal, complete w battery for under $20

Thanks for the review. Anybody have a pic of the SC18 next to a Wowtac A6?

The a6 is about 1/4 ” shorter. Otherwise pretty close.

I have both the Wurkkos WK03 and the Sofirn SC18.

They are identical except for the silkscreened text on the head and the texture of the knurling on the body tube and tailcap. The SC18 has ring knurling, while the WK03 has diamond knurling.

Both feature the same emitter, heads, UI, switch, clip, etc. They are probably made at the same factory.

Overall, these are quite nice lights, especially the SC18 at the discounted price of under $20.

Well I might be the first disappointed buyer of the SC18. I just got my SC18 today and am a bit disappointed with the tint. It is the most cool white flashlight I have at the moment. I don’t mind pure white, but this is at least 6500K. I think advertised is 6500K, but mine might be a little higher. Maybe its just mine that is on the upper end of the tolerance range.

I have several Sofirn lights that fit into the 5000K to 6000K category and so maybe I’ve just gotten spoiled. But this one, I just can’t make myself like it with how cool the tint is. There is just too much blue in it for me. The price was good, but am trying to decide if I want to keep it. I don’t see myself using it even though I was looking for a very small 18650 light. I’ll let it sink in for a couple of days and maybe I’ll change my mind.

Is possible to open the head? I want to change the led…Thanks

Yes. It’s easy to remove the bezel and optic. It’s a bit fiddly because the pill doesn’t come out easily but I just left it in place and changed the LED.

2 Thanks

Thanks for your reply!
I didn’t respond to the question because I didn’t know the answer, but I’m glad someone did. :+1:

2 Thanks

Hmmmm. I have an SC18 and the bezel appears to be glued. It will NOT twist off with ease. I have not yet tried heating it as I am not sure I want to take the time to swap the emitter.

Also, the body tube will not unscrew from the head. Perhaps it is not supposed to come apart there. Peering down the tube from the tail the driver appears to be a press in fit maybe. The tail cap is the only part on mine that removes readily with a simple hand twist.

The head and body tube are 1 piece. The pill seems to be press fit into the head. I think you have to release some tabs /latches to get it out.

OK, thanks for the head-tube confirmation. My bezel doesn’t want to budge using rubber grips. I may get around to trying my hot air gun soon now that my curiosity has been piqued.

Its probably the same as with Sofirn sc32…Hot air gun was needed.But then the reward was coming,after installing lovely xhp50 led…Small pocket rocket…This will be the same operation):

A little heat worked to get the bezel off of my SC18. I don’t think you’ll have a problem with a hot air gun.

What is it about the SC18 that makes it such an endearing light? As has been mentioned, its tint is quite cold and blue, its regulation is atrocious, its switch is too sensitive and likely to turn on in a pocket if not locked out, its clip isn’t deep carry, and it’s moonlight is too high. Yet for some reason I’m still really loving it. It does have a great and simple UI, it is fairly small, and while most reviews state that its output is well below specs, mine seems to put out more than its numbers state. Maybe its flaws give it a personality. Maybe it’s because I paid less than $10. I’m interested to see how long the honeymoon period lasts.

I’ve recently replaced my Zebralight SC64W for the SC18. The Zebralight has a switch that is quite recessed and it still occasionally goes on when I have my keys in the same pocket. It seems that irregular shaped objects (like a keyset) is much more likely to turn a light on when in your pocket. I just give the end cap 1/8 of a turn counterclockwise. Problem solved.

1 Thank

Thanks for joining the gang, Mountainman7!