Review: Jacob A60 XR-E thrower (1x18650) Pic Heavy

It’s a must have, for anyone.

I have 2!

And I’m gonna xpe2 one when I get my 10mm sinkpads!

Chris

arf :slight_smile: ok :wink:

Hey guys,

Happy New Year!

I wanna tell AuraBuy has begun the New Year Clearance for Jacob A60 now. Here it is.
For friends who still wanna get one more 0:)

BTW, all clearance products are displaying this page at our cost price.

Have a nice day!

Whats the best battery to use with this light?

I just bought this: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1210702

I still have my two. They are arguably the BEST batteries I’ve owned—and that after two hard years of use.

So, where are the images in this review !!!

I am trying to decide should I buy one while its 12$ and then replece the driver and led->dedomed XP-G2 R5…

Do it. Fantastic little super thrower.

Is there any holster for Jacob A60?

Anyone know the current best deal on the Jacob A60?

( Or other Sub $19. Pencil beam throwers with minimal spill)

Last time I know, Gearbest has it for $9.56 I think? Not sure about it now but you may send them an email/pm. They are a member here.

anybody know if the stock driver has low-voltage protection?

Almost certainly not. I don’t have one and the OP’s pics are gone. Do you have a shot of the driver?

I am not aware of any 6-leg modes IC which has LVP, so if that’s all the driver has (a 6-leg modes IC + a 3-leg or 8-leg FET) then I think it’s extremely safe to say that it has no LVP.

I’m going to throw an A60 into my shopping cart on my next order. I’d like to get as much out of this light as possible. I’m new to modding, so I figured it’s cheap enough to mess around with. After reading most of the posts on here regarding this light it looks like about the best thing you can do is convert it to direct drive. Is there anything else I can purchase that would improve upon this light? If not, then direct drive it is. Thanks.

A dedomed XP-E2 and direct drive will really turn it into a thrower.

Order placed on DX. I’m actually pretty excited to receive this light. One last question, what would be a decent battery just for this light? I’m going to place a separate order with MTN and figured I’d throw in a couple of batteries. I assume I do not need a high drain for this. Also, I thought I had read that an IMR unprotected works best for direct drive.

Hi there WillyD.

I'd take it easy on the battery if you are going direct drive with either the XR-E it comes with or an XP-E2. They handle themselves best below 2,5 A draw. An IMR battery fully charged will send them far over that. The emitter may not die from it but it will not put out as much light as it will at 2,5 (XP-E2) or 2,1 (XR-E) amps.

Other then that you should be golden. If you change the emitter for the XP-E2 then you may already know this but I normally file away the flat part of the reflector to make it focus better. Its a little tricky to get it to focus just right if you dont. Hell even when you do its a little tricky. But not impossible at all. Just take your time and look at the results, make only one change at a time and look at the result again. (One change at a time is the operative thing here or you might loose all track of what did what - Just ask me how I know :-p )

I'm pretty sure those current recommendations are for a copper star. I don't think I'd go that high on the stock Aluminium one.

I've done XP-E2 and XP-G2 on noctigon at 2.1A and 3A respectively in this light. I didn't dedome but am happy with the output. Braid the tail spring and driver spring.

The XP-G2 with the 3A Qlite is particularly good if I'm not hunting walls.

Dang….review images are hosed…

Forgot to comment about this light. Received mine a few weeks ago from DX. I’ve never been so disappointed before. Maybe I got a dud. From all the reviews here I guess I was expecting more. Brought it outside and tried to light up a neighbor’s shed that is 240 meters away that I typically use as my benchmark. Was surprised when it hardly put any light on it at all. I just don’t get it. There have been beamshots from this light showing what looks like a dime-sized hotspot burning a hole in a tree from such and such meters away. I have measure the distance of this shed using 2 different tools and both were right around 240m. My C8 totally lights this shed up. The C8 is running just under 4A with a dedomed XM-L2 and an AR lens, but I didn’t think it would outright kill the A60.

So, I dedomed the XRE and went DD, but it still didn’t come close to my C8. I then put in an XP-E2 and measured 2.1 at the tail which seemed to fall in line with everyone else. It was better, but still not what I had hoped. At this point I decided to sand down the bottom of the reflector and bring the emitter up inside a little more. I placed an MCPCB underneath to make up for the reflector loss and this is where it all went south as I forgot the reflector was plastic. The bottom cracked all over the place and the reflective coating pretty much cracked and peeled off.

Oh well…at least it was cheap. :bigsmile: I’m not aware of any replacement reflectors. Maybe I’ll see if I can fit a 50mm aspheric in it.