Review: KD C8 CREE XML T6 1000 Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650) SKU: S009844

Interesting, my batteries seem to be inferior, I will try to load test the batteries tomorrow.

Mine is 3.46A after about 30h of runtime ... Seems as if the Vf is bit lower now.

30h of runtime already? For how long did you used it at max without turning it off?

Looks like there's also a 3-mode version now (high, mid, strobe).

It may have changed since you read it... it now says "Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid > Fast Strobe" so...

I was thinking of my ideal multi-mode, and I think it would be a 5 mode... H/M/L/Moon & a beacon for the 5th mode... full blast for like 100ms, with about 2-3 seconds in between. I doubt that I'll ever see such a driver, even the spendy "programmable" ones.

I like your mode arrangement. Definitely in for the beacon mode! Always wanted but never found a way to get it. Apart for being a monkey and DIY (cheap ass irregular semi automatic beacon mode till i fall asleep).

Now I have tried with a Lishen 1865AF (2150mAh unprotected) cell and got a little more current (2,41A) so it seems my batteries can't deliver as much current as the black ones.

Sorry I didn’t get back to answer some unanswered questions. My email notifications to this thread stopped coming in for some unknown reason, even though I'm still subscribed to this thread. Strange.

I still love my Spiderfire P7. It has a more neutral tint, FANTASTIC FLOOD, very compact for its output, good heat sinking, and direct driven on high mode to get all it can out of a single 18650 without an expensive cc driver. As far as I can remember, this light has never not accompanied me during night rides on my bicycle.

I'm not sure your Spear Q5 would compete at only 1.0A since it needs more amperage to achieve maximum surface brightness. Also, the XML was not designed as a spotlight source and does not achieve the same surface brightness as a well driven XRE. Much is still unknown about the XML and what its true potential is. Dedoming the XML is said to almost double its LUX reading in a Mag Rebel reflector driven @4A with proper heat sinking.

I tried dedoming a XML and it didn't survive the assault. Not giving up, I have several more on order.

But, I suspect, like the SST series, dedoming it also halves the total lumens output. I suppose it depends on the balance between throw and spill you need. Not having ridden a bicycle in over 25 years, I wouldn't know.

With this T6 sample compared to the P7, the light output is definitely cooler with a more pronounced hotspot, and delivers more contrast with higher overall output and range. I don’t consider this a replacement for my P7 examples because the P7’s have a more uniform, warmer short-range flood with a less pronounced hotspot.

[quote=Don]

[quote=FlashPilot]

Also, the XML was not designed as a spotlight source and does not achieve the same surface brightness as a well driven XRE. Much is still unknown about the XML and what its true potential is. Dedoming the XML is said to almost double its LUX reading in a Mag Rebel reflector driven @4A with proper heat sinking.

I tried dedoming a XML and it didn't survive the assault. Not giving up, I have several more on order.

[/quote]

But, I suspect, like the SST series, dedoming it also halves the total lumens output. I suppose it depends on the balance between throw and spill you need. Not having ridden a bicycle in over 25 years, I wouldn't know.

[/quote]

I'm not sure that would be the case, and I sill haven't found anyone (other than Lambda) to quantify test results, although his only reported Lux and not lumens. http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=2395.0;all

The tint seems to get destroyed from the pics I've seen of dedomed SST's as well as a reduction in lumens. Not so sure about the dedomed XML. If I destroy one more XML trying to remove the dome, I might dremel the dome flat, polish with 3000 grit and then buff the lens with a rouge wheel to make it optically clear again. Its going to be a while before I get the chance to play again.

4*18650 in a row which is equal to about ~2.5h ... At the moment this is my favorit flashlight. I use it a lot ^^

Hi,

I received my C8 XM-L from KD.

I have 8 x 18650 (all http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-18650-3-7v-true-2400mah-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-20392 )
Batteries are from different deliveries!

Put in a full loaded 18650 and measure 2,66A @ high....tested four of my 18650, always measure 2,51A - 2,79A @ high.
Then put in the 5th and measure 3,23A @ high (WOW).

The 6th 18650 was strange ...i measure 3,31A and it climbs up fast to 3,68A, then light turns off. I can switch to Mid and it turns on again.
Turn it to high, the same: measure over 3,6A and light turns off.

I used this 18650 for a while in my MTE P7, now it runs fine in the C8, without turns off at high, i measure 3,16A.

Another 18650 runs fine @ 3,45A @ high.

All with THE SAME 18650 Trustfire Batteries!

For measure mA i use 2 very short/thick copper wires, with original leads i measure something like 1,38mA ;-)

(I have to buy a better multimeter/leads)

Brightness of this light is impressive, at high you should not shine on white things in your proximity^^

looks like the internal resistence of the batt. are playing tricks on you

I am curious how well it will do with an amr18650

Too late!

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3310/sunburn.png

Can you imagine how it looks here, with snow everywhere? :D

The ultimate "bad hair day", lolol.

BAH. I got mine today. Pulling 1.9 at the tailcap. Why dont I ever get a light thats driven the way its supposed too?I will try again with some cells that I know are freshly charged but still. I will also try measuring with a decent multimeter.

Still, it is impressively bright. Wow wee:) I guess I'll hope for the best when my manafont xm-l p60 drop in gets here!

Mizjif, how did it go with good freshly charged cells?

Still can't pull much over 1.9a :( My aurora ak-p7 can pull over 2a so I know my multimeter is not limiting at ~1.9a or anything.

Seeing as I am a newb still, what contacts and areas should I focus on cleaning to potentially get a bit more draw?

Edit: I was trying with 2 black w/ flames trustfires, 5 blue trustfires and 1 unprotected blue ultrafire.