Review: L3 Illumination K40 Thrower (1 x XM-L U2 | 3 x 18650)

They are pretty dang close to me.

The hot spot on the K40 is a little smaller. More or maybe the same amount of throw than the TN 31 with less lux ?

Well so I noticed that the TN31 shot is a slightly off (closer to door than K40). I plan on retaking the shots as we painted the handrail white since the TN31 shots were taken and that makes a percpetion difference as well. In reality, the TN31 has the tighter hotspot.

Here's a quick side-by-side I just took @ ~1ft (ISO80, AWB, f/8 & 1/320 for left | 1/4000 for right):

K40 left | TN31 right in both pics.

As you can see, very very close.

Cheers,

Tim

Holy crap - that K40 is so bright, it turned the banister white !

That’s for sure.

hahahha J)

I want to hear more about the X40 triple U3 - get one to turboBB asap!! Haven't seen a U3 light on the market yet, gotta be coming soon.

Tim,

I just got done taking this one with the K40. I turned my shutter speed down to 1.2 sec because I thought 1.4 sec was slightly overexposing it. But it was taken on man exposure and f/4 ISO 400.

This should show guys what to expect outdoors at this distance which is very close for this light.

60yds

Sweet shot, you've gotten really good at these! It'll take me a while to get the outdoors shots so I (and I'm sure others as well) really appreciate the ones you've been providing.

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks Tim a well executed comparison,I think this is enough to buy it.Thanks for your input and great photography it makes buying these lights too easy.

I ordered one tonight, hope the fiance doesn’t kill me, lol.

You will be tickled.

I just got in from hunting and my K 40 was waiting ,now I need to match up 3 batteries to this thing.
I like the case and the holster is handy for a big light…kelly

I am going to hazard a guess and say it will look like the Thrunite TN30 :slight_smile:

If you look up Supbeam X40 the Supbeam website has what appears to be a CAD drawing of an X40. Specs state 3,280 lumens with a peak beam intensity of over 40k lux. IF this is true we are in for a treat. Jake, do you plan on supping up this supbeam as well. I don’t know how they are going to keep the heat down on this thing but it appears to be a monster and exactly what I’m looking for. I was looking at the the TK75, BTU (I think it’s called), and the TN30 for my Flood/Thrower. I have a good all around in my L2P and I also need a Black SkyRay King(I have a gold one but black would look sooo much better with these others) for all flood. Stick those four lights in a pelican and go camping. When will I be able to get the L3 Illumination X40?

By the way, I love my K40 and it exudes quality. Thanks for such great service and such a great light!

Now that I’m looking at it I think I need a little more throw than that. I will have to get this for my flood light and one of the others mentioned for an all flood/thrower.

Thanks very much! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

I retook the indoor shots to allow 1:1 comparo. Rather than reposting everything, I've updated my orginal comparo shots in reply #39.

Cheers,
Tim