Review. LD30 one or two AA driver, 3 mode.

Do you think Simon made you that driver specially?
Can you compare a picture of the others to that one?

Or does he have a reliable source for a version that will behave that he can sell?

I’d sure like to know if it can work with 2xNiMH (2.4v)

This is what I bought on the 15.4 16. I cant vouch for the low voltage protection. They were 3 modes with memory and running two cells doubled the output. Cant remember exactly what that was though. All the rest I have bought were the same current at the led with either one or two cells.

My guess is that Simon or whoever he got it from deleted the LVP from the firmware for me, because I made an argument that is how it should be. That version might already have existed, but it took a while to come, so I don’t think he had it in stock. Anyway, I don’t think he did it just for me, I think he probably has that version in stock now. I called it a requirements problem.

Fritz, can you try that with one, and with two, 1.2v NiMH (eneloop) cells?

If it works, it’d be what I’ve been hoping for (to downgrade ‘last year’s’ 18650 lights to use 4/3AF NiMH, and give away)

I’m interested too!

As I remember, it did work well on one NiMH. It works well in the RC-A8 which is similar to 2x NiMH. Compared to a simpler driver I have in an RC-A8, it has a little less output but a lot less input, which would be good for a light to give away. It ramps up and down the current in surprising ways, like coming on bright in a low mode then dimming to the mode level.
I am not set up to test drivers, and this thing isn’t simple. My guess is that it will be better than anything else I have tried in most of these applications, and it isn’t too expensive to try.

Hm, that sounds like one of the problems I had with the LDCH drivers I’ve tried in the past.

I’m going to keep waiting for the driver RMM says he may sometime have instead.

I’ve just carried out a quick test on this driver purchased on the 5.4.16. It has a small spring on it which the pictures dont show. Its 3 mode with last mode memory.

On high the driver drove the led at 1 amp between 2.8 volts and 1.6 volts, input voltage to the driver where it stepped down to a moonlight low.

On high the driver drove the led .56 amp between 1.5 volts and 1.1 volts, input voltage to the driver where it stepped down to a moonlight low.

The led used in the testing was an XPG2 R5 3C on a Noctigon 16mm MCPCB mounted to a chunk of aluminium.