Review: Lightmall's C12 UltraFire XM-L2

Reflectors and amps are just part of the story, resistance loses abound in pretty much all these lights so a C8 could have a better tailcap than the C12 and out do it by 100-200 lumens -- I've measured those kind of differences. Also, one could have a drop of grease, not even centered under the star, or one could have a bad re-flowed LED. 1 piece compared to 1 piece is not much of a sample with all the potential quality issues -- that's why well mod'ed lights are a much better basis for comparison.

Yeah, they’re great little lights. They remind me of little, but powerful bulldogs. I’m still amazed how closely it can challenge my HD2010. They do need to have a good go through to take care of the typical assembly line issues. Biggest issue I have seen in each one is the emitter not well seated. Big thermal sag if not corrected.

There are also big resistance points in the tail switch. It has a long spring in there under that brass looking cap. The spring is not soldered to the cap or the switch’s leg. Put a copper braid (don’t use Goot Wick) and solder the base of the spring to the switch leg and the top of the spring to the cap.

EDIT: Ha! I drafted my post and once I sent it, I saw Tom E’s post. Nice to see similar thinking.

Why not Goot Wick? I've been soaking mine in acetone, sometimes even a good bath in iso. alcohol to get rid of the flux so the thing doesn't harden up when the ends are soldered - seems to help.

Good point too about the seating of the LED/star, not to mention centering/focusing issues...

Great suggestion on getting the flux out of the braid. I will try that next time. Thank you Tom E.

For some reason, Goot Wick doesn’t wick up solder well for me. It seems that it don’t conduct heat well. Which, makes me concerned about it’s copper purity. It’s very easy to solder to springs because it doesn’t draw the solder much past the point of iron contact.

I’ve seen a couple mentions in threads that it doesn’t measure well in resistance tests, but they were not conclusions from rigorous testing. I admit that my basis for not recommending Goot Wick is not compelling, but it’s my best advice as this moment.

whoa, went up against 14 of your single 18650’s and blasted them all!
interesting… im assuming the kd c8 and the keygo’s ke5 is not one of the 14?

Correct I don’t have either of them. I even have a trustfire X8 that will run on one or two I didn’t count it in the 14 but it even beats it. Although I don’t think it would with a L2. One that came close was a TF-R2 it’s kind of like a C8 only the body is much heavier and the pill is different. (copy of a Dereelight DBS?)

Mine was put together by Pulsar it has a T6 and is 3amps or so. It is a hot light in this size but it got smoked by the C12, well not smoked but outthrown and outflooded so well yah maybe smoked is the right word. Another one not 18650 or on the list but in that range is the Fandy Fire Rook. Again it got smoked and the rook with fresh 14500’s is a nice very bright light.

I am very impressed and I hope everyone gets a good one. It kind of made up for the last light I got from lightmalls, it was a 6T6 and it was really put together cheap. I reviewed it and didn’t give it good scores at all. I changed the driver and it rocks now but I was really disappointing.

Then I heard everyone complaining about the U3 model C12 and was ticked. I was pretty well convinced I would not be ordering from them again until this light showed up. Also the lady from Lightmalls was nice enough to give me store credit to make up for the driver I had to buy for the last one so at least they were willing to step up and make it right. Although I would have preferred to have gotten a good driver to begin with.

need some beamshot pics… or it just another claimer :wink:

I really wish these C12s used C8 pills!!!

I definitely prefer the look of the C12, and in my (inexperienced) opinion, the light from an xml2 at a given current is going somewhere….so if the throw numbers are lower I’d actually WANT the C12…because I like floody lights.

But, since I have 8 C8/UFT20 pills (4 brass, 4 copper), I’ll be going with 2 x convoy C8s when I finally get into this form factor…since they’re cheap, use OP reflector, and can use my existing pills.

thrckt - just got 2 Convoy C8 hosts in and the threads don't match up with FT C8 brass or VOB copper pills - I tried, that was the plan because those Convoy C8 pills aren't that good (for 16mm stars, alum with not much mass...). Maybe they could be forced on? I compared the threads and over the same height, one had more threads than the other, so the spacing is off. Was hoping for a bit better quality on those hosts, but.

wow, glad I caught that post, thanks.

i’ve been planning on ordering them for a week but held off as I don’t have time to fiddle with them.

I guess the hunt it back on for a suitable host. Even though I’d prefer OP, I’d go with the xintd if it was black. quality is more important than price for me (for $20 vs $30 anyway :wink: )

Well... Got a XinTD but it's a different animal with the screw-in reflector, again, don't think it's compatible, though didn't try replacing the pill and reflector, maybe. I really like my LightMalls UF C8, but I also bought a TMART C8 with a full SS bezel for like $25 only to get the SS bezel and put it on my LightMalls C8! Yes, I'm a bit sick, too, maybe not as bad as you . Of course now that LM C8 has a copper pill ala VOB.

I’ve seen that, and considered it, though I’d bead blast the bezel :slight_smile:

The Convoy C8 (from my testing) has very good thermal management. Thermal sag over a 10 minute run was not far off from a copper SinkPad HD2010. I’m impressed by the performance.
It’s too bad the VOB copper pills will not fit.

i do like floody lights. go with a kd c8 instead of the convoy’s. i have both and the kd c8 is brighter, throws further, warmer tint, floodier, and biggger spill.

but the c8 and c12 have the same reflector?….i’m undecided :~
which is the best thrower?…i have a Ultrafire c8 but i want to buy one oh these two only if they are really better with this XM-L2

They supposedly have the same reflector. They look the same to me, but the beam from all my 12’s seem bigger (hot spot wise). I like it much better. Probably just my imagination.

anybody received C12 XM-L2 from lightmalls yet?

I have it ordered, and have the tracking #, but it’s still not working. These holidays kill me :(…

[quote=ohaya]
I had seen some posts about “disappointing” performance with the C12:

So is just the C12s from that one seller that are problematic, and the ones from lightsmall are good?

I have a couple of C8s, and have been interested in trying a C12, but had been avoiding them because of that thread.[/quote. Same here I am also always looking for brighter faster stronger but read some disappointing reviews of some C12s ill wait to see how this pans out but really appreciate your reviews and updates!
G

[quote=light junkie]

[quote=ohaya]
I had seen some posts about “disappointing” performance with the C12:

So is just the C12s from that one seller that are problematic, and the ones from lightsmall are good?

I have a couple of C8s, and have been interested in trying a C12, but had been avoiding them because of that thread.
[/quote. Same here I am also always looking for brighter faster stronger but read some disappointing reviews of some C12s ill wait to see how this pans out but really appreciate your reviews and updates!
G[/quote]

From what I understand Lightmalls had a problem with the U3 version of the C12. I think they got a bad batch of emitters. the XM-L2 U2 that I got from them is great. So far though nobody else has gotten theirs yet to confirm that all of them are good ones.