Review: Manker U21 - Raising the bar for compact throwers

Yeah!
Groupbuy on NW please!

I think these 3 images are taken from the official Manker announcement. They partially look like renderings…
K.

for mine U21 I use this
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004324/1330400-authentic-niwalker-nylon-flashlight-holster

Kusie - You are correct about pics. I do not have a decent camera (they don't get returned :( ) so I often will use manufacturer pics and rendering except to show differences with other lights (which cannot be found on manufacturer's websites)

WlakIntoTheLight - I understand where you are coming from but rather than post negatives that are opinions that may not really be a negative I find that it is best to allow people to ask for possible differences or specifics they may be curious about (if the reviewer knows). In my profession I learned very that I can literally "pick" anything apart but what people are really interested in is what strong points are.

The Miller - Comparison is not always bad unless it gets to where it is condescending. For example, asking the OP what known differences are is more than ok and often helpful to readers (if the reviewer knows). My complaints start when a person posts a review (not just this review or even my reviews but also others) or something for sale and people start talking about why "this" or "it" should not get any attention or consideration or is unworthy. (FYI..that was stopped in "For Sale" threads)

I like my coffee Black and would never dream of ruining a good cup of coffee with the addition of anything but some souls do. That is ok because I am not drinking that ;)

I’d be up for a GB on this in NW as well. Looking at options for a decent thrower without paying silly money and this light is definitely an option. Just a bit pricey at the moment.

Yeah, or a NW group buy for the T01. I have the T01 in CW, but I’m not a fan of the tint. (Its tint is fine if you like CW, but I much prefer warmer tints.) Also, at $64, I think it’s probably overpriced by about $15, even for retail. A group buy should come in around $44 to make it interesting. The T01 is different enough from the floodier E11 that a GB might have enough interest.

Thanks for the size comparison as I own the Kronos SS, so it gives me some perspective on the length.
Will wait for the NW version, but I also agree with some members opinion that the light is a bit pricey, although the specs and the build quality are quite good from the reviews so far.

The build quality is truly good. Their focus is to build quality. To many the light may seem pricey but if an honest comparison is done then it becomes evident that it truly is not pricey.

Keep in mind that these are not marketed to the modders. Instead they are intended for those that need good "ready-to-go" lights "right out of the box", especially those that work with lights day in and day out such as mechanics, wrecker drivers, first responders, contractors, and even the outdoor sportsman.

I am not being a cheerleader like many may think it appears. To me a flashlight (or headlamp) is a tool....a fun tool but a tool just the same. The UI is very nice (to me), the ample power, great throw, AND lightweight. To further what I say, I get lucky and have many "test subjects" between work, family, and friends, where I can get a layman's opinion. For example, my parents love the inexpensive but controversial zoom light but they also truly like the U21's side switch and light weight. My friends that are in the towing business love the throw and the light weight. The other night my nephew wanted to borrow one of my lights and grabbed the U21 that was sitting next to an XHP70 light (my L6 has not arrived yet ) and when I asked him why he replied that he preferred to use the U21.

The point is that my praise (of this or any light/tool) is not from my opinion alone but rather the many observations I am fortunate to obtain.

Yes, I like the compact throwy Mankers. Great compliment to the floody Zebralights of similar size and cell use.

My only issues are:

1. Neutral white offering, please!

2. The UI is a little non-intuitive. For example, a long-press to turn off is different than every other light I own. It’s almost like they’re trying to force a mechanical reverse-clicky interface on to an electronic switch, but it just doesn’t quite work out.

3. While the programability of mode output is great, I wish the range of output you can choose from (for each mode) would be greater. It’s a minor quibble, but it should be an easy firmware fix for them.

4. The pocket clip isn’t much use, due to the large head. I think it needs to be redesigned, or just removed (which is what I do).

My Manker U21 arrived yesterday and I will be using this light along with my Fenix PD40 for my compact single cell flashlights. My everyday pocket light is a ZebraLight SC600 Mklll.

I do have a Convoy L6 on order for longer range use.

I do appreciate a concern about cost, but as a retired mechanic living on a moderate Union Pension the lights I have listed easily fit in my budget when adjusted for what I choose not to purchase.

The tools and things I use in my daily life must pass a threshold where cost is not the number one consideration.

Hey Sidecross......you need to do a review on that U21 :)

1 yes
2 my Uniquefire UF1401 needs looong press to turn on and long press to turn of
It took 2 times to get used to it, it’s nor that bad
And judging by the reviews this is not a shelf queen but gets used so the UI will be familiar in no time :wink:

Don’t hold your breath waiting for any review coming from me. :slight_smile:

Part of the reason I can purchase the flashlights I mention is because I did not purchase a smartphone or other needed electronics that many people have and would use to present any review on this forum or YouTube.

Fortunately there are already a very good number of people doing reviews, and I consider your reviews to be ‘top drawer’.

Well you are more than welcome to use any pics in this review and most definitely the manufacturer's site BUT more importantly is your opinion. There's plenty of pics around now so a review does not even need pics.

Just fyi, the U21 will out throw the L6 in distance. The L6 will put out more total light of course, and a wider hot spot - both are great quality lights though - can't go wrong with having both.

I measured 78 kcd (559 meters) on the L6 (https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/36959/1586), 127 kcd (712 meters) on the U21 (https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/40242).

Yeah, it’s not an issue if it’s your main light. Though, if I lend it to any non-flashaholic, good luck with them figuring out how to turn it off.

My issue is that my other lights with electronic switches, which I use often, are from Zebralight, Armytek, Sunwayman, etc. They all use a single short click to turn off the light. It’s just what I’m used to.

Looks like a fantastic little light, would be a great gift (thx to the USB charging) for anyone that can spare 5 minutes to learn the UI.

If there ever is a group buy for a NW version at ~ 20$ less, i’d sure be in for at least 2.

I’d be even more interested in a pocketable version with a smaller head with throw in the 60 - 80kcd .

Thank you, I like having the Manker U21 and Fenix PD40 lined up for me to choose a compact light; if I need a dedicated distance light I will use the Convoy L6.

I am a person of wealth to have such a ready to use choice. :slight_smile:

This is just my .02,i love the size ,out put and ui on this Manker and compared to the Acebeam k70 ,has a bunch more spill and usefull hot spot than the Acebeam pencil hot spot ,and to get this kind of throw a couple od years ago you would need some thing like the BTU shocker size.I have orderd a holster i hope that will fit this as i hope to take this on this year’s hinting trip.
I also agree with the OP i dont have the modding skills to get a light of this qaulity and output.

And as old Latin said,“De gustibus non est disputandum”.
You like it,you buy it.I do the same. :slight_smile: