Review: New "Solarstorm" 2S2P 8.4V "water resistant" 4 x 18650 battery case for bicycle lights

I just ordered one of these from GearBest, can you recommend a source for a good battery brand with high capacity?

You've already found it, haven't you? ;)

True for the first one I received a while back.
They’ve changed it since.
The second one I received a few days ago — as discussed at length in the Mountain Bike thread — is a new “A1” version in which the little button that switches the three blue “power level” indicators also switches power to the USB port.

Both “A” and “A1” versions will still slowly drain down the batteries — unless you do some surgery on the board — so still advsed to take the batteries out when putting the box on the shelf for a week or more.

Thanks for the review.
This parasitic drain is horrible. Not a pack to give to a non-flashaholic/non li-ion initiated. What is more annoying is the lack of decent budget battery packs. I’m regretting not purchasing the fenix pack at GB when it was made available at such a cheap price :frowning:

_
Hola Folks, I’m a bit of a blow-in as needs be….seems I registered a while ago but don’t do much……and am only regular on one other forum, so hang in there….

I found this while chasing up info after seeing the item listed on fleabay a while ago (different ‘while ago’ )….which I did purchase from another seller; maybe ‘best buys’…??

I’m not a tech-head, and freely admit FAR in advance that I know enough to be dangerous and a bit…

I’ve read this, re-read, and re-re-re-re-read so now have square eyes….so if I’m addressing things that are done and dusted, my apologies in advance…

I had hopes I could configure it as need be, ie; 3.7/4.2, 7.4/8.2, 14.8/16.8 (that may be somewhat dysfunctional?) for various functionality

So, a couple of questions and maybe answers…(not sure how to do “quotes”, but this is one )- from ledoman, with Bullets

” no cross connections in the bottom of the case
no connection from the bottom to the PCB
only Solarstorm type of connector (compatible somewhat with Magicshine, though)
no or bad water resistance (would need bit thicker o-ring)
no watter tight cover for USB connector
high standby current of 8.5mA ”
Questions;
Not sure what you mean by ‘no cross connections in the bottom of the case’ ?
Not sure what you mean by ‘no connection from the bottom to the PCB’ ?
Answers to;
Q:- only Solarstorm type of connector (compatible somewhat with Magicshine, though)
My answer; The DC socket is a 5.5mm x 2.1 standard line plug/socket

Q:- no or bad water resistance (would need bit thicker o-ring)
My answer; run it inverted/upside-down (electricity still runs uphill)

Q:- no watter tight cover for USB connector
My answer; ‘same as above’- “run it inverted/upside-down (electricity still runs uphill” ), plus use some heatshrink or similar?

Q:- high standby current of 8.5mA ”
My answer; dunno…

My main question is;- given this runs on ~3.7v (nominal?)/8.4V, I guess the input needs to be anything above 8.4 (regulated), but what kind of safe output can be accommodated at those voltages??

I read everything I could find that Gearbest provided, but asked ‘GearBest’ these questions, but had only a crapfull arrogant reply that said;

Your original question is “Hello, the specs sheet and your answers are very vague. If the input is 8.4V, it needs greater supply than than to charge- but what is the maximum/minimum allowable input voltage, and is there a built in regulator or voltage converter? If the batteries are set to give 8.4 Volts, how can it charge from a USB ? It seems the USB is output only, and not for input charging?”

Here is the answer from Our Customer service Team:

Hello duTch,
Thanks for your inquiry.

Please note that input voltage is 3.7V - 8.4V

There is no converter

Please click here for additional details regarding the item.

We hope that the answer is helpful for you.

If you have any further questions, welcome to submit a ticket to our Support Center http://support.gearbest.com/.

Best Regards

Gearbest Customer Service Team

Please do not reply to this email directly as this mailbox is not monitored.

Please submit a ticket to our Support Center if you have any questions. ”

So I don’t feel I can buy anything from them….far as I’m concerned they suck….

I feel I’ve left something out but can’t think….

To get double square eyes :wink: you might read thread at MTBR. My first post is same as here, but discussion further is bit more technical.

Your post is bit fuzzy to me (I’m not native English), so I would advise you to read more about Li-Ion cells at Battery University - charging Li-ions and there is much more.

In short you need 8.4V Li-ion charger to charge cells in series (2S). Cells in parallel (2P) are counting for capacity (ie. 2 times single cell). Nominal voltage of single cell is 3.7V, which can be charged up to 4.2V. Two cells in series produces 8.4V.

This battery case uses USB only for output (ie. charging other devices).

Thanks for your reply.
I appreciate that this forum layout/format is different to what I’m accustomed.
You’re not telling me anything I didn’t already figure out, and I read the MTBR thread, and same deal.

All I was trying to confirm was;
(1) the capability of the USB (I’m happy with its’ USB output functionality), and whether the DC lead being just output or also a charging cable as other packs are that I have, and;
(2) Whether the batteries can be re-configured to output in addition to 8.4(2S2P), 4.2 (4P) or 16.8 (4S), but I’ve fairly much figured that out too.

I bought one of these units from a different source anyway, and the serial / PCBmodel # is SS-026A.
Fairly dysfunctional really, except as a USB charging pack, as I don’t run much (anything) from 7.2-8.4V, although could be a handy backup pack for my 6V motorbike when it blows a generator drive belt

The stock, waterproofing ‘O’ ring really is too small. I used a spare ‘O’ ring for a convoy C8, and it’s a bit better.

Does anyone know which IC they are using for the battery voltage indicator U2?

Scott Novak