Review:No name USB charging nice quality flashlight

Got mine , finding it somehow hidden , behind a shelf full of nitecore and olight.., the seller hardly remember it...My first thought was : " is a MH 20 clone !..." , then I realized that is something else.., the price : 10 $ ! I took it , and home , I disassembled it.., brass pill in a aluminium reflector , screwed in the head !

The led , a LB with an ugly blue-ish tint . Swapped with a dedomed XML T6 ( as you know these ones have a tint shift with dedoming towards NW ...).

The driver has a sense resistor , R200 , and could be changed , or just add an other R200 on top.., but I decided not to do it , first of all because all the active components had no codes on its (!!!) so I wasn't sure if the proprietary fet will stand the current , and second , I think that the thermal path is not so great...

Plus the fact that I had no idea how the current increase will affect the ramping ( the low is already too much for my taste...)

I sanded the centering ring ( that was too much in the reflector ) , and left only few teens of a mm , just enough for the reflector to sit and center the led...

Now is much better , it's throwing better with very little artifacts .., not bad for 10$...

Also I replaced the red collar for the switch ( too high , IMHO ..) with one from an SRK , sanded to go down on the threads ( btw , they are the same) , and I reduced the height of the white button , just to sit a little under the collar . Is looking much better , and it's feel more acurate.., plus that the accidental activation is reduced...

But I have to say that the machining is poor , threads are short and the edges are a little bit sharp (even the anodized ones...)

I like that , with the UI , looks like an classic flashlight with "on -off" , lighted switch and the ramping is a plus... Good to have it in the kitchen or garage , not so for outside , not so confident about water ingress...

Quick little question for those of you technology knowledgeable: TP4057 chips can be bought quite cheap, I suppose this is the only responsible component behind my last CFG01 malfunction, isn't it?

Cheers everyone :-)

Yes , it suppose to be a 4.2V preset ( factory ) , only the charge current could be changed ( if I remember good , pin 5 ?...) . If you want to be perfectionist , you can set up a bench check for those , and chose the one with the charge voltage ( 4.15...4.24 V ) you feel comfortable with .

Doing like this is offering the certitude that the chip is good and can be mounted on the final setup plate ...

I think that you charging chip was a lemon.., it happens sometime , especially when the QC is made by probe-ing some samples from a whole lot !

I've really thought about this you say. I should be able to measure the effective maximum charging voltage over pin 3 by providing power to pin 4, ground to pin 2 and maybe attach an Rprog to ground on pin 6.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Cheers :-)

You are right , this is the minimal setup to test ! Only 2 things to take care of :

1. Set the charging current to a low value ( 200-250mA) by Rprog ( pin6 ) . I'll explain latter why ...

2.Use as "load" (battery) an older one , with the IR a little higher , and precharged at 4.0 V ( in order not to wait too much to charge up to 4.2V ) . I'll explain this also...

Now , the low charging current is a way to test that the cut-off point ,( minimal current where the circuit is "seeing" the battery as charged ) , is working properly . This internal circuit is a current based Trigger Schmitt , and the dispersion of the value could be significant ...somehow this is normal , and is coming with the fabrication process ( due to the purity of the silicon used , dopping process etc...)

Using an older cell , with an IR higher , will test also that , no matter how a cell will behave , and will be a guaranty that , with good battery, the process of charge will be repetitive, in the same parameters...

In this way you can " select" some " premium" circuits that can be used in future projects...

Good luck , and keep us posted...

I realize of course I’m over a year behind on this thread but I have 2 of these lights and agree with all of what bella-headlight wrote, especially about the Reddit reviewer being harsh. Although he did a thorough job for a short review, apparently he just doesn’t have the mindset to find value (when it exists) in a truly budget priced light. One thing I found perplexing is in his UI chart he’s showing (Memory) which it does not have.

I do have an answer for this statement he made: “There’s a red anodized surround on that switch for no apparent reason
And another statement in the comments: “I suppose the red ring over the switch was put there as a way to stop accidental activation”…

Well that red anodized surround serves a very important purpose, and is one of the best features of this light: Locating the switch in total darkness!

I find the majority of side switched lights have the disadvantage of being hard to locate the switch when you can’t see it. You have to roll the light around in your hand feeling for where the switch might be, which can be somewhat frustrating. That big red flange on this makes it real easy to find the switch, and I wish many other side switch lights had a similar feature.

Another one of the sub comments I found true and humorous: “I wouldn’t expect anything more for $12. I wonder why GearBest sent it to you?“ :smiley:

I also couldn’t find the other thread on this light, if anyone knows it please post a link.

More about this light in my next post…

Again I realize I’m over a year behind on this thread, and that it almost sort of turned into a Diving Light thread. :stuck_out_tongue: Actually thanks Litebringer for bringing up the DV-S9, I’ve been interested in a slider switch light for a while and subscribed to your other thread on it.

• Thanks NikolaS for the nice video, obviously you are one who can see value in a budget light when there is some. I agree these are great for around the house.
  • Thanks Wildcat for the link to the photos in post #28, very helpful. I’m not sure who’s photos they are but I don’t do facebook ATM.

I have two of these lights, one from Gearbest and one from Amazon. I really like it, I think it may be the best low price budget light I’ve ever got!
The Amazon one is a HOVINSO brand, and the Gearbest one is the “No Name” (Gearbest no longer includes a battery or the plastic case).

My 18350 shorty version:

. .

I’m using a Jaxman 18350 tube with a Convoy S2 tail w/ metal switch.

The tube technically does not fit this light as it doesn’t really thread on properly, however it works just fine, the tube’s threads are a smaller diameter and only catches tight at the very end, but it’s enough to actually tighten and hold without any damage to either the tube’s threads or the head. (I’ve taken it on and off many times)

The Convoy tube doesn’t catch the threads for a good fit like the Jaxman. The Jaxman tube has a bit wider I.D. and it’s also longer than the Convoy tube so it fits the Ultrafire 1100mAh protected cell I’m using (Aspire cell in photo for size only) The tail switch provides a lockout so the light can be safely carried or put in a backpack etc.

Although they’re CW, there’s no overly noticeable blue in either of the ones I got, they look nearly pure white to me.

Here’s some more info on it:

The light is sold nearly everywhere under MANY different brands. Ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, Gearbest, Fasttech, etc. etc.

The one I got from Amazon (HOVINSO) has a tint noticeably more towards neutral than the one from Gearbest.
(probably just got a winning ticket in the Lettuce Bright tint lottery)
Gearbest has two brands of this, a no-brand (one I got) and an HKV brand.

The Good:

• It’s very bright
  • Tint is not too cold 5000-6000K
  • Switch extremely easy to find in the dark (big protruding red bezel ring) :+1:
  • Switch is very effortless to click, feels nice, a real joy to use!.
  • Always starts on High :+1:
  • Simple UI: Single click ON – click again OFF :+1:
  • Hidden strobe - double click :+1:
  • Ramping UI - 4 seconds from H to L flashes twice at lowest and at highest. :+1:
  • Well defined hotspot, deep reflector has decent throw
  • Springs on both ends inside fits about any 18650 battery I tried
  • USB charging cover fits flush and snug
  • Glass lens

The Bad:

• Switch can accidentally switch on fairly easy.
  • No way to lock-out, no mechanical lockout (non-anodized tail threads) :expressionless:
  • Because of these two cons I don’t recommend for pack or carry around, makes an EXCELLENT home utility light though.

I don’t really like mode memory and for certain uses (like this) I like lights that always start on high.

I haven’t used the USB charging but I took a measurement using Barkuti’s method (between the driver’s spring and retaining ring)…
I’m getting 4.32v (HOVINSO brand from Amazon)

Can’t measure the No Name one from Gearbest ATM, since it’s at my mother’s house as a home utility light. I’ll check it soon an post my findings.
Links:
The one I got from Amazon the description shows H > SOS but is actually ramping with double click strobe (description also shows zooming but it’s not).

The one I got from Gearbest (un-branded) 5000-6000K:
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_604347.html

Here’s the other one at Gearbest (HKV brand) CW 6000-6500K:
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_1295273.html

Fasttech also has it (Innuo branded):
https://www.fasttech.com/product/9634574

Bangood has a somewhat similar zooming version, also stepless dimming (XANES brand, only $6.89!):

Zooming versions also sold everywhere under MANY different brands

Found this sale the other day: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-Charging-Zoomable-Lantern-CREE-L2-Powerful-LED-Flashlight-Waterproof-Torch-Aluminum-Alloy-Outdoor-Camping-Hiking/32802630625.html

Cheaper than cheap. ;-)

Cheers ^:)

Wellp, for about 12bux (use the blf discount) you can still get the DV-S9 which has most of the niceties you list (more or less) except for usb charging. The slider’s a “ramping” UI if you use your thumb slowly. :laughing:

Plus, it’s quite literally waterproof and then some! Ie, you can use it in and under a pool, not just in a heavy rain.

No pesky strobe, hella bright, easy to find the switch, good solid lockout, nice crisp hotspot, pretty awesome little light. And the 26650 is a bonus. Nice and grippy, balanced, good hand-feel.

And the color just blows me away, that nice deep indigo, moreso with the red trim.

Dunno, there’s budget, and there’s “budget”…

The Light Which Must Not Be Named seems to be “budget” as in “cheap”. Works, sure, but maybe with lots of little “shortcuts” taken, eh? For about the same price, I’d stick with a solid-as-a-rock light like the DV-S9. I’m biased, sure, but it doesn’t mean it ain’t true. :smiley:

Starts-on-high and no-memory is an instant deal-killer for me. Hell, even as great a light as the Nichia version of the Lumintop Tool might be, its start-on-medium keeps me from pretty much ever EDCing it. Hell2, after playing with it a while, it just kinda went back in its box and is languishing there. Can’t bring myself to part with it, but unless I can flash it to use a different UI, even a stinking 1-mode 100% full-tilt on/off “UI”, I don’t think I’ll be using it.

Damned shame, as it’s a nice solid light.

Okay, for 7 bux, it’s probably worth playing with.

Given the UI as described, I still wouldn’t use it, though. Life’s too short to be annoyed on a daily basis…

Might gift it to someone I hate, or at least someone who wouldn’t care about a “you-eye”.

Nice find!

Proof that people are different and have different views and needs.

I despise mode memory, to me it’s extremely annoying to never know what brightness level a light will fire up in.
This has a lot to do with my own memory function :stuck_out_tongue:

Starting on high every time? Depends. Bedside light? Absolutely not! Household utility light? Yeah that be be great. Emergency light? Yeah great for that too.

~ ~ ~ ~

Now back to the DV-S9 derailment…

I’ve been considering this very similar Uking, I like the green color version and the large lanyard slot tail. And it’s suppose to be a neutral tint.

I’m not really into blue, but…

As many time as you’ve commented on how nice the blue is I have to admit it’s got me thinking, and starting to like the blue :person_facepalming:
Plus knurling would be nice too, especially if it’s not too lame (smooth)…

The one statement of concern about the Uking vs the DV-S9 (made by Flydiver in your DV-S9 thread) was about the smoothness of the slider:

That kinda bothers me cause I’m only getting it for the slider function.

So you’ve got me pretty much sold on the blue one, now where can I get one for 12 bux?

Fasttech: $16.27 (after BLF code)
Gearbest: $17.72 (GB17LED code expired!)

That’s just it. It’s my own “discipline”, if you want to call it that. I always reset my lights to their lowest settings when I think I’m done with ’em. Except for lights (C8F, ferinstance) where I’d grab it for its brightest setting if anything.

I’ve been carrying my SP10A instead of the ’B for a while. With the ’B, I had doubleclick-for-high anywhere, even from off. Reset to firefly, that’d be what comes on with my first click.

Now with the ’A, regular low is what I reset it to. Then I have to click-click to get it to high if I need it.

Each one takes some getting used to, but I’m getting used to them.

Part of the reason I shelved all my stock S2+es is because of the damned blink-on-low. If you just want to use it for a few seconds, and turn it off in that ohnosecond right after it blinks, well, now you got those annoying strobes in the main cycle, and have to undo it to get rid of them.

Yet despite all that, I still reset my lights after I think I’m done. So my ’A, even if I click through to high, gets reset to low immediately after.

Takes a little bit of extra work, but once you get used to it, it’s nothing.

The right tool for the job, yeah. I’d still rather not blind myself just to have to throttle down to a lower setting. And once you are blinded, you pretty much now need at least a higher setting than you would otherwise had you not been blinded in the first place!

That was it. Wouldda sworn I got my last one for about 13bux or so with a GB coupon. Was one of those “Do I really need a third one?? Hell, for that price, yeah…” deals.

Maybe I burned off some points as well, don’t recall. Was late last year (December-ish) if I recall.

well, at Gearbest it woulda been $15.59 if they’re code worked, IDK what’s up with that, they’re still showing GB17LED in they’re ad on the left side of this page. But FT not much more at $16.27

I read even the aff linkers are having a hard time getting codes from them. But when I’m ready I’ll try and request a code from one of them.

I also wonder if these Ultrafires are the same internally as the DV-S9, although they look more like the Uking and have the Uking style tailcap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cree-XM-L2-18650-or-26650-Submersible-LED-Flashlight-Underwater-Light-Portable-Waterproof-Flashlight-Diving-Flashlight/32861731070.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.94.47503fddRs2pRh&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10065_10151_10344_10068_10130_5722815_10324_10342_10547_10325_10343_10546_10340_10341_10548_5722915_10698_10545_10697_5722615_10696_10084_10083_10618_10307_5722715_5711215_10059_5723015_10534_308_100031_10103_441_10624_10623_10622_5711315_5722515_10621_10620,searchweb201603_28,ppcSwitch_2&algo_expid=d813b7c2-b20e-4471-839b-0c2760f36f94-15&algo_pvid=d813b7c2-b20e-4471-839b-0c2760f36f94&priceBeautifyAB=0

I actually don’t like that style tailcap. Makes me wanna change the channel or something.

I like the flat UF-style one better.

Here’s the purpose of (why I like) that tailcap’s big lanyard slot (smaller light but same idea):

I’m trying to visualize how big it is, Is the DV-S9 about the same size as an Ultrafire F13, being only slightly shorter?

I’d love to see a photo of those 2 side by side.

Since most members here have a Convoy S2+ and C8 flashlight, I took a couple of photos of the DV-S9 next to them.

Wow thanks! I do have both the Convoy’s…

And a nice patriotic color line up!

Yeah that DV-S9 is huge, bigger than I imagined until I really paid attention to the listed dimensions, that “bowl” of a tailcap probably adds some length!

This is the first (actual) photo I’ve seen of it too, I must admit the blue color is rather nice, and with the red accents.

These photos need posted in the DV-S9 thread too!

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn’t realise there was no photo of it on the DV-S9 thread. I have copied and pasted the post from here over to it as well.

Please also note that the DV-S9 shown on my photos are not fully screwed in. It comes with two O-rings, and you can just make out one of the first O-ring. It is probably at least 5mm shorter once fully screwed in. I make it a habit of unscrewing the tailcap on this flashlight, as it drained one of my Panasonic 18650B 3400mAh battery after several weeks of not using it.