Review: Noctigon KR4 (18650, 4xE21A 5000K, CRI96)

Hard pass. CRI99 or else :disguised_face:

CRI99? ā€¦ sounds like you want an old incandescent maglite!!! :sunglasses:

Reminds me of the old incan Solitaire. Max output was 2 lumens (though I think even that was optimistic), and the light was zoomable with 2 modes:

• ā€œSpot modeā€ - this put a small dim spot of orange light. Sufficient for illuminating something 3 feet away, such as the keyhole of a door.
  • ā€œDonut modeā€ - this created a thin orange donut-shaped ring of light. Very dim. Not useful for anything.

which emitter?

I ordered the 5000K xpl. So it should be nice and bright but still neutral.

Using turbo doesnā€™t somehow disable the lightā€™s built-in LVP. There might be protected 18650s that could handle the drain from a D4 on high or turboā€¦ but they will be rare and probably expensive. No protected 18350 will be able to handle the higher output levels without tripping the protection circuit.

Iā€™m not even sure most protected cells will fit a D4. For kicks I checked if a Wowtac 26650 (flat top, protected) would fit my D4S and it was too long (wasnā€™t going to risk crushing something by forcing it).

Sorry, that is what I meant originally, current draw. I would rather have the cell protection trip and be annoying than damage an unprotected cell. If I canā€™t find one that could handle the current without damage.

18650 Battery Store has a Samsung 30Q with a 15A protection circuit. Still would not fit because it is listed at 68.64mm, which is a bit too long. I know you were talking about an 18350 but I havenā€™t seen many protected batteries be able to handle higher current.

I will just have to be careful then, thanks!

Iā€™ve noticed that most optics that have data from Carclo/Khatod/Ledil or whomever, always seem to have unfavorable results with the E series nichias. I wonder how much of this has to do with them being so thin and domeless, resulting in them sitting too far below the optics? Has anyone tried drilling (counter-boring) the mcpcb holes to see how the optical efficiency and beam change with a different focus?

I wonder if they made the KR4 with a buck driver if the efficiency would go up substantially.

This light looks like a great alternative to the FW4A. Anduril software is fantastic.

Are there sources to order these from in the USA, or only from China?

Is Intl-Outdoor a good source for these?

I can vouch for Intl-Outdoor, placed many orders and never had a problem.
Itā€™s Hanks own store so fully legit and you will be looked after.

Thank you, x-ray! Good to know. I will order from Hank.

Looks very nice, but a little pricey.

Just ordered from Hank, with Warm White - SST20 3000K 95CRI. This will be my nightstand flickering Candle light. Thank you ToyKeeper for this awesome UI.

Iā€™m not sure if there are any diffusers which fit, but ceiling-bouncing it can be nice sometimes too.

However, tail-switch lights in general are a little awkward while ceiling-bounced. The button isnā€™t accessible in that arrangement. So for a bedside light I usually go for something with a side switch instead.

Diffuser added to fw4a package shall fit. I think this is the same as the one for fw21a that can be found on aliexpress.

TK, yesā€¦ it will be ceiling bounce in candle mode. I can see the utility of the side switch for tail standing, but Iā€™m ok with the tail switch - no problem picking it up to adjust.

Thank you. I will have a look for that.

FW4A diffuser will fit the KR4?

Yes. If you take a look at head diameter fw4a is 28.5mm vs 29mm of kr4.