Review: Palight C8 R5 (sku 6374 from Manafont)

Ok, I tested tailcap currents again and here is what I get:

battery at 4.15v
Meter w/original test leads:
HI - 2.40A
Med - 1.08A
Low - 0.09A

Meter w/ 14 AWG Romex as leads:
Hi - 2.69A
Med - 1.20A
Low - 0.10A

The light is also noticeably brighter on high than it is on medium, but it's not a huge jump. Guess I'll just plan on getting a 1.4A 3-mode driver from Shiningbeam or from Illumination Supply to be safe.

-Garry

Man, that seems really high for an R5. Must be kinda bright, no?

Foy

Yeah, it's bright! About as bright as my KD C8 XM-L, just a narrower flood area. But I don't trust it. I'm afraid to burn out the emitter, so I've ordered the 3-mode 1.4A driver from Illumination Supply to replace it.

From what I gathered in your original review, you don't have this "SG PCB" driver which I have in mine.

-Garry

You're right, mine is completely different . . . as in, it is one of my least favorite lights. It's actually not a bad C8 host, it just needs a driver swap. Maybe I'll open up the reflector and put my E1320 resurrected SST-50 in there.

Foy

Sounds like you got an xm-l instead

No, it's not an XM-L. The emitter is much much smaller than my KD-C8, and the Palight doesn't throw as wide of a flood as the KD-C8. I wouldn't doubt they mixed up drivers in the "factory" during assembly. I did receive my 1.4A 3-mode from Illumination supply (darn that was fast shipping!). I'm not too disappointed because at least now I won't have the disco modes.

Garry

Mine has been a good light, used on many night rides by cycling buddies that don't have their own light. I picked up an XM-L T6 this Spring and actually prefer the beam of the R5.

Well I had some challenges in replacing my R5's driver with the Nanjg 1.4A, but it's finally done and working correctly (and no disco modes!).

Tested Tailcap currents at:

Hi-1.66
Med-0.51
Low-0.08

This was on a Trustfire flame 2400mAh at 4.05v.

Beam seems very nice on high and very useable on medium. Hotspot at 15' on a +/- white wall seems a tad bit brighter than my KD C8 XM-L on high (and with half the current draw). I think the XM-L uses (wastes?) a lot of current to get the wider flood. If you don't need so much flood the XP-G will be a more efficient choice.

-Garry