Review: Sanrenmu M1

Of course i wanted to say “ebay.com” and not “ebay.uk
Yes, i don’t know why but exduct has miss a lot of knives in each srm, ganzo, navy and enlan. Before this new site they had have almost all the models made.

Doingoutdoor stopped selling knives 1-2 weeks ago (on Aliexpress and on his own homepage). I will ask Bill why and post his answer - he had great prices.

Essexman its brilliant, close enough to uk legal carry for me and incredibly usefull, I carry mine in the battery sleeve of an xpower holster from fasttech along with my oem d5. ideal work edc set up now the d5 has a qlite and 80cri xm-l2.

my boss is always after it now, hope fasttech gets them back in soon as I’ll put him together a similar package.

what about this ?

I bought one of these from FT back in March at the very good price of $10.45. I really like it - it’s quite elegant imho, and probably UK carry legal (although I don’t). I don’t like clips, so took that off, and although very much a knife novice, I prefer it to the Enlan EL-01.

I have this Browning LM337 from eBay

Any comparison vs Sanrenmu M1? Which one is better and/or you would prefer to have/buy?

@tivo532,

That knife looks nice in the picture, does it look that good in real life? Your link led me to another couple of Browning related items that looked like they might be nice as well:

Yes TSellers. I got a few of them and they look nice and exactly as shown in the pic. And they are really sharp!
I have not tried any Chinese knives yet so I’m interested. :beer:

I assume the ones I posted are also made in China. However on your recommendation, I’m considering buying all three of them. Thanks for that.

Oops! I actually meant interested in buying the Sanrenmu, Enlans, Ganzo…
Yes I recommend the Browning.
:beer:

It would be great if you had the time to do a picture heavy review. I assume that the finish will wear over time like my black Ganzo did, but that’s to be expected.

Now if they would only sell electric chain saws that look as good I could start to tackel bucking my winter firewood in my urban back yard.

Sure. I might be able to do it this weekend. I’ve been buying knives from eBay and stopped two years go. I might start again buying but this time will do it slowly and using recommendations from this board. :beer:

Had some time today to shorten the Sanrenmu M1 to make it without doubt UK legal: Shortened both blade and handle :slight_smile:

That’s amazing workmanship, can’t imagine how you managed to make it so perfect.

Probably less then an hour:
The handle was just a straight cut on the end point and then file and sanding to get the edges round and the liners smooth.
Blade was a little more file work, then sanding and final sharpening.
All done without taking the knife apart. But then had to disassemble it to clean it as lots of dust got to the washers.

These were my tools: vise, metal saw, letherman and sandpaper :stuck_out_tongue:

Good job. Lucky for you you live across the pond from me, I could use a friend with your talents on my Woodburning TLD backpacking stove project (I’m trying to add a USB fan to it)!

No locking and only one sided opening.

Could be ok/legal if it doesn’t have spring, still if it opens with a thumb flip good luck explaining it if you live in places where auto and gravity knives are banned.

Nice job shortening it :slight_smile:

Auto and gravity knives are specific classes of knife.

Actually they have similarities in that in both cases the blade is retained closed by a switch, and when the switched is pressed the blade is released. On an auto a spring opens the blade, on a gravity knife the blade can opened by letting it fall open, or by swinging it in an inertial fashion.

The M1, and most other modern folders, have a detent that holds the blade closed, not a switch. That detent, however weak it is, is what distinguishes those knives from auto/gravity knives. That detent also exists in spring assisted opening knives.

The legal code for knives in California makes the above distinctions, meaning that in California any non-auto/gravity knife can be carried including spring assist knives. They don’t even have a blade length limit except in a couple of cities.

I’ve got slip-joins similar to the M1 that you can hardly open using the thumb-stud or hole or nail nick, very far from being a gravity knife but there are no specific tests other than an arsey customs officer having a bad day.
The flick knife or switchblade is defined as having an opening mechanism that operates by some button on the handle,
Quote from knife laws - “flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed”
Nothing said about opening with a thumb-stud or hole or disk, also this - but you can’t “carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife”

Alot of the law relies on the policeman on the spot being able to decide what constitutes a threat and what doesn’t the newspapers regularly spew out vitriolic nonsense about “knife crime” but the police themselves say that 99% of all incidents of wounding by a knife or pointy object are caused by people using kitchen knives, very rarely “but they do happen very rarely” with a machete or similar tool being wielded by a tool.
It is not illegal to own or buy or import locking knives, fixed blades or anything other than knives on the “Illegal weapons list” in the link above. You just have to have a good reason for carrying them like they’re needed for work etc. It is perfectly legal to collect knives. There are a great many shops that would go bust if they couldn’t sell lock knives, assisted openers, fixed blades, I believe that lock knives are treated as a fixed blade knife in the eyes of the law.
All these shops buy stock in from all over the world and it goes through customs with no problems.
Sorry for the long post, and if you’ve got a SanRenMu M1 then treat it gently, they are no longer in production although I hope there will be a new batch produced soon. And at FastTech’s price of $11.25 rather than the ebay sellers with a stock left and want $23 for one.

Does anyone find a good price for the M1?
The best I find is $19,99. Fasttech has an awsome price, but it is out of stock since 9 months (or something like this).