Review: SCHRADE Extreme Survival folding knife

SCHRADE Extreme Survival - folding knife

REVIEW

My latest padded envelope contained "just" this knife. Ha! It may not look but this thing is big and massive. Reason for getting one? Size, axis lock (if youre a fan of it) and aesthetics althrough i could easily part with the hammering weirdo logo on top of the handle below the lock. I found it at price angels while having a 4usd coupon they gave me for the scratched refelctors i got a while ago.

Came nicely in a box and within a sealed plastic bag. That however did not prevent the knife for getting scratched on the rivet look a like near the axis lock switch. Incredibly pissed but later on pleasantly surprised the knife is free from any other even tiny defects. For SRM knives i can hardly tolearte anything that seems remotely wrong. For knockoff's i'm way more relaxed. This one apart for that minor thing is very nice.

This knife at 23cm is HUGE. Blade is very thick and well finished in what it would look like titanium color anodization. Came reasonably sharp. The handle is matte black finished aluminum (is it? sounds/fells like). The grip is okayish not very slip preventing but comfortable to hold. Not surprisingly also quite heavy. Certainly not EDC. Taking one with you to a restaurant and use it to show displeasement for local provided cutlery will probably grant you a nice talk with the local authorities (unless you live in Texas). You have to have a good reason to carry such a knife. I admit i have some concerns calling this one a tool. It certainly is but on the other hand just looks more like a weapon even if defensive. If looks can kill i do not know this however easily provide that service. The blade is just massive long pointy and sharp. It's a collectible and camping knife only. I do not see any EDC potential in this one.

Wrist flick openable? Nein! Too stiff as other axis lock folders. I you help the blade out a little then it's doable. Smooth opening, nothing to fix (as opposed to flashlights and some knives) when i got em.

Can i reccomend it? Well, depends.

Yes if:

- like the size, lock, and look

- need a massive thick blade folder

- want something that will scare bystanders instantly?

No if:

- EDC wanted

- dislike axis lock

- like featherweight knives

I do not regret the purchase at all. Pretty happy with. I like huge knives and this one with almost 23cm total length fits the bill. Price wise it is alot of knife for the money. Steel quality may not be the best but at least this one can take a serious beating. It's a rare occasion knife. If you can live with these limitations go for it. I know i can.

Nice review, have you been taking German lessons? ;-)

I really like the lines/looks of this one. Sounds like the the EL-02 to me, nice knife but too big for most practical purposes other than the woods or around the house.

Not really. :) When i was writing the review i mistakenly wrote it in and since it fit so well i decided to leave it there as is.

Technically, that would be an Arc Lock.

I know, picky picky

I don't know why, but in my miind any "survival" knife should have a partially serrated blade. Gotta be able to use it as a saw...

Nice review, Budgeteer!

Yeah, you're definitely not alone. And I'd twice about bringing a folder when I could be packing a fixed blade.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like this knife. And I think it's the only Chinese fake knife I've ever bought that came with an instruction booklet. :D

I'm glad you like yours, too. Mine is nicely (thumbstud-) flickable btw.

Could there be a slight chance these Schrade knives (like the ST5C/ST6C, too) are halfway original (same factory)? I think Schrade knives are in fact made in China since some time and haven't they even (officialy) stopped producing knives lately or something (sorry I just think I've read something about it but I'm too lazy to read up on it now). Anyone.... or erm, jekostas? :)

Without having first hand experience with this particular knife, I think it is a safe assumption to say that they are not original for the same reasons I posted here.

Well I don't think this reasoning would be 100% applicable if the "copying" would happen only "post-mortem" (i.e. the factory continues to make/sell the models they used to make officialy until the ordering company went broke or similar).

If you want to be sure, you would have to own both for comparison, or ask Schrade (or Taylor Brands) via mail. Would be interesting to see their answer. ;-)

Clossed its doors [ Manufacturing ] , and is out sourcing its knives [ China ] , but some may be outsourced from within the USA .

I bought a Schrade trapper model [ Fire and Ice ] , it was made in the USA and offered after the Factory clossed .

Very nice Budgeteer! Thanks a lot. Sticky'd.