Review: Shadow TC500 (XM-L U2 | 2 x 18650)

With few exceptions, most flashlight manufacturers feature a two-cell turbo-head thrower in their line-up. These models typically enjoy a flagship designation although that is changing as multi-emitter/cell models gain in popularity. They however do still hold a special place in enthusiasts' hearts. One need but look at threads for such lights for evidence of this.

The TC500 fills that role in Shadow's current line-up:

It features a XM-L U2 emitter outputting 800 lumens and a smooth reflector that should be capable of producing decent lux numbers. Just how much you ask? Let's find out...

MFG FEATURES & SPECS
MSRP: $66.99USD

- Cree XM-L U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours.
- Maximum output of 800 lumens.
- Digitally regulated output, maintains constant brightness.
- Low voltage warning flash.
- Reverse polarity protection.
- Tactical forward click switch for on/off operation.
- Ergonomic side switch to enable mode switching; 3 light levels and 1 hidden strobe mode:
High, Medium, Low (Strobe accesed via quick double click).
- Smooth Aluminum reflector.
- Long throw flashlight with illumination past 300 meters.
- CNC manufactured, made of durable 6061 aluminum alloy.
- Stainless steel bezel and lanyard ring.
- Toughened ultra-clear glass lens.
- Premium Hard Anodized Type III Grey finish. Scratch resistant and anti-abrasive.
- IPX-8 waterproof.
- 218mm(Length)x25.4mm(Body)x64mm(Head).
- 280g weight (batteries not included).
- Powered by Li-ion battery: 2x18650 or 1x18650( both sustained by the circuit,rechanged to short tube for the latter )
- Test run(Powered by 2x18650,,capacity of 3.7V/2600mAh,Sanyo):
High Mode:2 hrs,800lm

PACKAGING / CONTENTS
The TC500 arrived in a generic cardboard box:

The only accessory I received for the review was the lanyard:

It's supposed to also be supplied with: spare rubber switch cover/O-rings/glass lens/switch

CONDENSED VIDEO SUMMARY
Here is a complete video summary of the TC500 while while I work on fleshing out this review:
[video=youtube;CucbIjmUsK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CucbIjmUsK0[/video]

DESIGN & FEATURES
The TC500 features a removable flat SS bezel:

Once removed, it allows easy access to the lens, o-ring, reflector and its centering disc as well as the emitter. The lens is not AR coated:

The reflector measures 56.1mm (2.21") x 32.5mm (1.28").

There is ample room to do an emitter swap should one so desire:

The reflector centering disc is first placed over the base of the emitter with the raised edge up as the reflector then slots into that. This helps achieve perfect centering to reduce the chance of artifacts and decreased performance.

There are grooves around the entire circumference of the aid that both serve as aesthetic elements as well as aiding in grip:

Just aft of that are the heat fins that have alternating convex/concave grooves milled into them. The TC500 isn't driven particularly hard so doesn't really get all that hot though.

As with the rest of their lights that feature a side-switch, there is a SS ring around it that adds a nice aesthetic touch:

The collar that the side-switch rests in features alternating textured curved and flat sides.

The tube features two "sections"; the upper half closer to the head has two flat sides (that bears the company name and model) as well as machined grooves:

The other half closer to the tailcap is slimmer in profile and has a grip ring that can be used to improve/customize one's grip.

The tubes in the entire Shadow TCxxx series are interchangeable, case in point, here is the TC500 with the TC350's tube:

The lanyard ring and lanyard retaining ring are removable. The retaining ring can be screwed on tight enough so as to keep the lanyard ring stationary:

The threads on either end of the tube are not square-cut.

There are grooves around the entire circumference of the tailcap that aid with grip somewhat but they're not particularly aggressive:

The button protrudes out by a bit thus rendering it non-tailstandable.

There are springs at either end of the light to aid to help with recoil (if gun mounted):

Given the added space that is compressible, it can accommodate a set of my shortest (AW IMR 1600 @ 65.2mm) and longest (XTAR 18700 @ 69.2mm) cells without any issues.

SIZE & HANDLING

L to R: RediLast 3400 | Lighten7 Max L2A | SureFire M3LT | Shadow TC500 | Sunwayman T40CS | Olight M3X Triton | Crelant 7G5CS | TaoTronics TT-TF03

The TC500 runs about mid-pack as compared to other 2 cell throwers in my collection.

As with other 2-cell turbo head throwers, there is a weigh bias towards the head but the adjustable grip ring helps mitigate any unbalance when held with overhand grip:

Personally, the best grip is obtained by positioning that ring between my ring and middle fingers. It also allows for comfortable cigar grip use.

As previously mentioned, the tubes are interchangeable between the entire TCxxx series thus one can use the shorty tube of the TC350 on the TC500 and vice-versa:

FIT & FINISH
The TC500 is on par with the rest of their newer releases; that is to say that while it's not bad and improved from the very early JM07 I have, it could still make do with some additional refinement. Starting with the anodized finishing, the tube is a slightly darker shade vs. the head & tailcap:

NOTE: Flash intentionally used to highlight shading differences.

Overall, the anodizing has been applied well with none missing in the crevices or around edges. :

The bezel threads on nice and flush and the laser-engraving is sharp with minor blotchiness in certain areas:

The threads are not square-cut on both ends, and while it feels fine on the head side, the tailcap has a gritty feeling to it. Closer inspection shows that some of the anodization is missing as well. As with the TC750X, this was truly the main weak point of both lights (along with the lanyard retaining ring that feels flimsy and wasn't fully deburred); they are at least anodized thus allowing physical lock-out of the light at either end:

The o-ring also seems a little bit on the weak and thin side, during removal of the tailcap, the o-ring will often creep up towards the threads.

Last but not least, the ID of the base of the head is just a tad large thus exposing the o-ring somewhat:

However, given the thick o-ring used, it shouldn't compromise the water-resistance.

Overall, the TC500 feels solid enough, but as with the rest of their recent releases, they're like diamonds in the rough and can do with just a little more polish...

UI
The UI on the TC500 is very straightforward in that the forward-clicky tail-cap switch functions solely as the master on/off and the side-switch cycles through the three output levels: H > M > L and accesses strobe if depressed twice. As with the rest of their lights with a side-switch, it is fairly easy to accidentally activate the strobe while cycling through the output levels since the spacing isn't tight enough. There is no memory so it'll always come on in H.

On my sample, upon letting go of the tailcap switch after fully depressing it, the light will briefly shut-off before staying on.

BEAMSHOTS
Indoors (5m)

High

Med

Low

For details of the above indoor shots and comparo vs. many other lights, please check Epic Indoor Shots Trilogy

RUNTIME & OUTPUT
The relevant battery stats are provided above each runtime graph along with:
- Voltage of the battery at the start and end of the test
- Current draw
- Actual runtime using ANSI FL1 (first in HR and then in M so for the RL3400 on Turbo, read this as 2.3hrs or 137min)
- Output in Lumens as measured on my PVC LMD @ 30 seconds
- Also for Turbo, captured the temperature: ambient, the head/fins at start and the max it reached (fan was used for all bats)

Max output measured @ 30 seconds was 768lms w/2 x RediLast 3400 (note: although I calibrate my PVC LMD before each runtime/lumens testing, the ambient temp will also cause deviations in readings).

This is the only Shadow light thus far where I haven't been able to match or exceed the claims but it isn't too far off. After a mild initial dip, the TC500 runs in perfect regulation before it drops to roughly 30lms or so and the LVW kicks in. The batteries should be replaced immediately at this point as it's already fairly depleted. I didn't measure the temp w/the RL3400 run but the TC500 doesn't really run all that hot.

Here in order for each cell are measurements for:
* medium; average lms in first minute + current draw and calculated runtime
* low; average lms in first minute + current draw and calculated runtime

CONCLUSION
The TC500 is another solid release from Shadow. Subjectively, it's a good looking light with appealing design elements. While the fit & finish has improved from their earlier lights, it can still stand to be a little more refined. Its main saving grace is the price of entry which undercuts some of its competitors' comparable models by nearly half. I remain hopeful they'll continue to work on the quality aspect in future iterations so for now, here are my thoughts:

turboBB-licious

• legoability using the TC350's battery tube allows for shorty version
  • forward tail-cap clicky switch only functions as master on/off so allows signaling without fear of changing output levels
  • near perfect regulation with low-voltage warning when cells are depleted

turboBB-cautious

• tail-cap threads not fully deburred leading to rough feeling during threading (some anodization missing as well)
  • quick cycling of output levels can accidentally trigger strobe
  • lanyard retaining ring not fully deburred and slightly rough during action

turboBB-wishes

• smoother feel for the threads (and make square-cut like on TC350)
  • tighten-up timing required to activate strobe
  • stand-by mode so one can shut off the light without having to activate the tail-cap switch
  • AR coated lens
  • more output levels implemented via different UI (a la Zebralight)

TC500 GALLERY

=======
TC500 provided by sbflashlights.com for review.

Sorry, not sure what's going on with the text highlighting and not sure how to remove it. Will fix it when I figure it out.

OK, fixed the background highlighting issue, also indoor shots now added.

Thanks for the review Turbo, I’ve got one of these on its way to me…hurry up postie!!

What beats it?

Beyond any inconvenience, is there a reason you chose not to post outdoor beam shots? I noticed that your “test range” always seems to be in your hallway or up-close, which negates most of the value in displaying how most of todays power-lights would appear to the human eye under realistic/typical conditions. If there’s a personal reason that I am unaware of, then please accept my apologies in advance. :wink:

Your reviews are always excellent, but I feel we always miss out on the most valuable part; how the flashlight performs in the real world. I hope I didnt sound to critical, but others have casually asked as well.

@Haterade - that comment was in the context of size, in which case, the T40CS and 7G5CS are slightly longer/larger

@FlashPilot - combo of inconvenience, time and ideal location. I live in the burbs with no good access to a nice secluded area where I can conduct outdoor shots w/out light pollution. Thus most of my outdoor comparo shots have been limited to my camping trips which unfortunately have been limited to twice a year. The underpass was THE ULTIMATE location for me but they've since fenced it off. :(

There's a small park not too far from me but doesn't have the length to really show what these lights are capable of, plus as the season changes, the foliage and shrubbery would affect how one perceives the output/beam to make them consistently comparable.

I do have a camping trip coming up again soon... ;)

EDIT: If anyone can suggest an ideal location in Bergen County, NJ for beamshots, I'm all ears!

Ah gotcha

This is a great review, and thank you for sharing it.

It doesn't answer the #1 question about a thrower flashlight though....

How well does it throw?

Is the performance better or worse vs the sunwayman, or the crelant? (Comparably sized and budgeted lights.)

I feel your pain on not having anywhere to really light up. There is really nowhere I can go, without trespassing, with more than 100 meters, and little light.

Edit: Also in Bergen county. If you find a good spot, share :p

heh, sorry, I'll get to the lux measurements soon but visually it's on par with the T40CS but just has a donut-hole (up close while white wall hunting) that Dunkin would be proud of :)

I understand the nuisance of ambient light and how it can distort the true performance of a beam assessment. A lot of members here simply ignore it and snap their pics anyway. Given enough pics at the same location and setting, they still prove to be invaluable for comparisons.

Also, we use the “mouse over” feature here all the time, which gives us very accurate comparisons between photos (all things being equal). Maybe when you have a chance, go outside and snap a few and see what you think. :bigsmile:

Another good read and incredible value: Modded Small Sun ZY-T13 3.2 Amps or Sunwayman T40CS Clone

To truly appreciate a light, you really do need true darkness though, or as close to it as you can get.

That gradation is meant for astronomy, to illustrate the effects of light pollution on the night sky.

What that translates to on the ground, though, is that under the night sky, outside, for the majority of us, true dark simply does not exist.

To night adapted eyes, even 3 lumens will be enough to navigate a dark hallway, and 80 lumens more than enough to look overwhelmingly bright.

@TurboBB - http://goo.gl/maps/FZ9OR From the center of that cicle to the treeline at farthest diagonal corner, is right around 200 meters.

Unfortunately, technically the park is only dawn to dusk.

All, review now completed.

Thx infinitusequitas, I actually found a nice spot as outlined in this post. Will be doing a 2-cell thrower comparo video in the future.

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks turboBB. Another fine review.

Thanks for the update!

Might have to check out that spot myself.

Thanks a lot for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.