Review: SkyRay King SRK 3x CREE XM-L flashlight

SkyRay King SRK 3x CREE XM-L flashlight
Reviewer’s Overall Rating: ★★★★★

Summary:

Lumens: Manufacturer rated at 2000+ Lumens
Battery (included 4x): 4 x 18650 unprotected OK, Protected has to be 70mm or lower. (most protected are under 70mm)
Switch: Momentary
Modes: 2 Mode, and 1 Secret mode.
Normal mode: high/medium/off (Always starts at high mode first)
Secret Mode: When light is on, Hold switch for 3 or more seconds and it will turn to strobe (WARNING!!!, this strobe is VERYYY powerful, It literally hurts.
LED Type: XM-L T6, Cool White, 1A tint
Lens: Glass
Tailstands: Yes
*Extras 4x 18650 button li-ion batteries, double 18650 Charger, 1x Spare O-ring, and thin robe with sliders
Price: $58.99 + Free Shipping!
Provided By: eachbuyer.com
Product Link: “http://www.eachbuyer.com/3200lm-cree-led-flashlight-light-lamp-torch-for-fishing-hiking-bronze-p236388.html

Pros:

• BRIGHT! You can burn/damage skin with sheer lumens if you point the light directly on top of a person for a while.
  • The secret mode is really cool. It is so powerful, I have never seen anything like it. I have many flashlights with strobe, but this…. this is a completely different story.
  • Reflector is aluminum
  • Strong anodization
  • Fantastic machining for body (golden parts)
  • Feels very solid when batteries are inside the light
  • Batteries/charger included.
  • Spare Oring
    I want to add that this light came in………. 2 days! LOL. It turns out this website has a warehouse in the USA!

Cons:

• Switch wiggles a little when I mess around with it.
  • There is no physical switch completely isolate batteries from circuit so the light will drain a ever so tiny bit of battery even when not in use. (Parasitic drain)
  • 2/3 LEDs have some stuff on them. Scratches or little foggy. I do not recommend you to clean it because the reflector is super smooth and will be blemished even if you wipe it with a clean tissue.
  • The switch and bezel is not on par with the quality of the golden parts.
  • Even though it is 4x batteries, there is no rattle if I shake the light. However, there is significant battery rattle if i tap near the bottom of the light.
  • No low mode, only medium. They couldn’t tame the beast enough.

Pictures: FLASHLIGHT:

Comments:
The batteries and charger looks good to me. Just becareful of a few things.

• When putting the batteries in the charger, do not reverse the + and - (polarity). Look at the charger and they will have small picture for you to see.
  • Put in all the batteries with the button/+ side facing upwards
  • This is a very powerful flashlight. LEDs create heat when in use, and this is normal. If the light starts to get warm/hot, do not worry. The LEDs will be fine. Only when it starts burning your hand, you should let the light rest a little to cool down.
  • Because of the nature of Lithium batteries, it is best not to completely drain all the battery. When the light starts getting dim on high, it is still okay to use. When the light gets really dim on high, it is best to not keep using it until it is completely out of battery to prolong battery life.
  • Have fun with a portable sun, ready to go.

Beamshots and video will be added later.

Nice review and pics!

Later on you will come to realize as I did that those UltraFire cells are not that good. Your light will run a lot brighter and a lot longer on some authentic name brand cells :wink:

So I see you like heat sinks!
so do I.

This light is not new anymore. Probably 2 years ago already!

Not so,

The general appearance of this light is not new.
This light has been copied so many times that some of the releases of it recently have nothing in common with the original other than a physical resemblance to it.

So in a way, each time someone reviews one of these lights, they are reviewing a “new” light.

BTW, I wish I had the patience to learn how to use the advanced editor that is available here on BLF. I admire anyone that has done so and respect that.

Thanks for the review . Laughing

I would like to see pictures of the driver components .

Nice review, one question, did you pay for this light or was it a gift?

This light was reviewed by _the_2 years ago: Review: Skyray King (3xXM-L - 4x18650) & much more by using the search engine!

You miss my point! Did you read what I posted and how I worded it?
I have 4 of these lights and every one of them is different in some way. Some more significant than others. At this late date, there is no such thing as A Sky Ray King. All of the clones and the, clones of clones, have mucked it up to a point that one can not seem to order one of these type of lights and know what they are going to get. Why do you think there are so many reviews of this type of light here on BLF. It’s because they are all different in various ways.

I notice you joined in 2011, probably before this type of light was introduced. _the_did a review of one of the first iterations of this light in 2012. Do you think anybody joining the forum today is ever going to come across that old thread? From time to time I think there should be room here on this forum to refresh old ideas for the newbies. I would imagine that amongst the viewers of this forum topic there is a least one newbie that up until now has never heard or seen a light like the SRK.
Lastly, I don’t think it is a good idea for anybody to post a comment that would discourage anyone, especially the lesser experienced members, from posting new forum topics.

Without the continuous posting of new forum topics, this forum is dead.

Every original post, no matter how interesting and popular eventually dies out.

Every veteran member, no matter how active or knowledgeable, will eventually leave.

Like it or not, the new comers and their posts are the FUTURE of this forum.

Actually you miss my point. Any reviews are most welcome. I know how to respect people & I just pointed out the srk had been reviews multiple times here with 3/4/5 emitters already. It’s useless to giving me such lessons! And I will not response your comment any further!!

Its always good to read other peoples reviews rather than relying on one reviewer. Carry on gents, with the reviews that is.

@dchomak, Yeah the batteries are lighter than my expensive ones.
Heatsinks!! I have so many too!! I harvest them from old desktop computers.

@jacktheclipper, The driver is a FET, so no regulation for each led at the same time, but max possible brightness because of direct drive.

@Essexman, I got store credit and offered to pay for some of it and do a review

Thank you very much likevvii for the review. :slight_smile:

I feel like want to point out a few things here though. First of all I have never bought anything from Eachbuyer yet and I don’t know about their service and product quality, but SRK with three emitters (1st gen XM-L especially) sold at $58.99 is way too expensive nowadays! Let’s not forget that SRK was first released in early 2012 it was sold at $60+ during that time, and nowadays the general price of SRK is only at around $30+, and even with that price you can probably buy the one with 4x, 6x or even 7x LEDs inside lol.

Despite the price, there are several issues with these SRK clones and clones as we all know… possible poor heatsinking (hollow?) and driver variations, and I believe a lot of the members here like comfychair has a lot of experience with SRK. Kindly may I ask is it possible to do a teardown for us?

I am not saying your light is not good. It might be a good SRK, but it is just that nowadays we are flooded with a lot of poorly made SRK clones and we cannot really trust them, until we see the inside of them.

Hi
does this Sky Ray 3x can work with only 1x 18650 battery?
(example 1xbattery 1x Cree led on
or 2x battery 2x Cree led on?)
hope we can help me
thanks

It should light up the emitters, as the whole thing runs on the same voltage, but the capacity will be seriously reduced. There is also the possibility that the single 18650 cell may rattle or have movement inside the light. You may need to fab 18650 blank spacers to fill the area where the other 3 cells would go.

Ok thanks,
does same situation for the 6*model?
it will be run with 1* battery but lower capacity than 3*led?