Review: SkyRay King - yet another review

i suppose it also depends on the ambient temperature. In Thailand, it gets up to 50C in 10 mins and I guess that isnt ideal.

Hmmm, how about the J12, Pok? Is it useful in Thailand?

I love my J12

Big heatsink, regulate driver, still waiting for 26650s.

Maybe this guy on the red circle can be reprogrammed, and you can add more modes, and make something to eliminate the visible PWM

I have all the tools to do it (PIC programmer, Arduino programmer, and SOIC8 Clip), but I can't disassemble the driver board without damage on it... So I'm not going to test it, but maybe somebody would like to test.

I don’t understand. If it is linear driven, why the three toroids? Any chances it has a boost or buck circuit there?

Great review and awesome light.

Foy

Awesome review and pics there DrJones!

I saw this switch for the King on Youtube.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vzK6TWys9U

Here is against a Fenix TK45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfTGMmLFCqM

A new king in black 5 x T6 with lanyard and handle ?

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/8893

Not even close! The king is better

Ok ill take your word for it as you do not have the solarstrome and i dont have both, i just dont like the gold king or the brand name and have other 3 x XML's

I don't need more than 230 Lumens to watch my dog take a crap ! But I need 2300 Lumens to check my roof in case of a Hurricane for any damage, To Light Up a path at night while riding my mountain bike. I think the light has what it needs. The strobe in case you are lost on an island and want the Coast Guard helicopter to see you better ? Be real and see that the King is a Bad Ass Light with the power of a $500.00 Light ....... God Bless The King !!!! and Elvis of course ........

Oops, sorry I missed this review a long time time ago. Now frontpage’d and sticky’d.

I FINALLY got in my SRK neutal white from Lightmalls… I loaded it up with some Panasonic 2900 mAh cells and crammed it into my sphere ’o many mysteries (Any interest in a LED/Battery analyzer device?)

It starts out at around 1700 lumens and after 12 minutes is down to 1500 lumens. And the temperature is up to 66 C (BTW, it hits near 80C after 25 minutes) Low is 165 lumens. PWM freq on low is 200 Hz.

The color temp on low is around 4725K. It pops up to 5050K on high.

An interesting observation is how the light level stair-steps down as the thing heats up. Maybe some kind of thermal management going on, but I doubt it since it can hit 80C after 25 minutes of high beam.

Nice measurements. :slight_smile:

Though I find those 1700lm quite low… New (and worse) batch?

Yeah, 1700lm wouldnt be much above the Darth.

So this light doesn’t have constant output regulation then? Is it being direct driven?

Definitely has output regulation, and very good one at it.

Not sure about current "cheaper" models that's flooding the market nowadays, but earlier tests showed very good flat graph output.

I could have current regulation and the output would still drop due to LED heating.

All the previous posts that mentioned lumens seem to have been estimates and eyeball comparisons. Did anybody actually test one in a calibrated sphere?

The seller says these neutral white lights are 2000 lumen lights. 1700 lumens is well below your typical “Chinese lumens” wishful thinking/balderdash and an almost acceptable claim.