REVIEW - SKYRAY KUNG M4!!!!! KING KILLER- (Pics, Light, beamshots, & driver added )

Well, that puts me back to getting a King. At least that will be a light I can be happy with when texaspyro starts selling his driver.

My Kung came in today too. It is the gunmetal U2 model. Did some testing on it right away. Tested it with 3400mah Keepppowers, down a little at 4.13v each.
Stuck it in my lightbox. Started at about 2400 lumens and then started dropping pretty quick. Ended up at about 2150otf a 30sec. Next tested its lux. Again not too impressive - measured 17.2K at 1M. So as a comparison with my U2 black King -
——————————————
King 2175otf at 30 sec.
Kung 2150otf at 30 sec.
King 25K at 1m
Kung 17.2K at 1m
REVISED AMP TESTING AND NUMBERS A FEW POST DOWN
—————————————-
All that aside, it is a pretty nice light. Looks nice. Does have more flood than the king. Not as throwy though. It has pretty good potential with a better driver.
Anyway no regrets really. It’s a decent and cool looking light for the just over $40 I paid for it. But bone stock, a buyer would be better off getting a King with its better throw and just a good or better lumens.

I would like to get a well driven Kung (mine didn’t arrive this week, hopefully Monday), but it will not matter much when texaspyro gets his driver sale-ready.

It’s really not that bad at least for the ones with the twin mosfet driver.

With care getting a poorly performing one up to the level of the one you have is not that hard. The difficulty is not going too far, which is very easy indeed. The reality is a bit of care and attention will negate the vagaries of cheap assembly lines, and will result in a nice torch for the money.

Tried mine with a slightly modded king driver + slave, nice output but got too hot too quickly.

You all seem to be already arranging for the funeral of the single toroidal driver. Copper braid the tail and put in bigger emitter wires. Then make the decision.

Edit: The pill definitely needs to be beefed up. Mine is so thin that if I screw it all the way down to the ledge, it no longer is in contact with the threads. There has to be a good bit of thermal sag.

Hmm, that driver looks like my SRK driver, same numbers and letters on it too, my Kung has some ill fitting driver. Maybe thats part of why my Kung really doesn’t do much vs my King.

Numbers does not add up…4,51A at the tail and 2150 otf?

(Like some others?) I would assume you have difficulties getting an accurate amp reading…

So in short better get original SRK from CNQG instead of Kung?

Sounds like the black 2500 lumen SRK from CNQG is the way to go, I love mine

It would appear so… The first company to come out with consistent quality are gonna clean up…

Single Toroidal Mod Report:

Did the following:

• Copper taped the tail board
  • Copper braided the springs
  • Sanded the anno of the 4 ledges that the tail board mounts to
  • Soldered a single set of 18 gauge emitter wires to the driver
  • Soldered one wire to a single xml
  • Measured current between the other wire and the emitter

Unlike my SRKing (tail current went from 4+ to 7+ at tail from emitter wire change), current measured at only about 4.5 amps. So now it’s time to figure out how to resister mod this driver. Under the toroidal, it has 2 amplifiers that appear to be the same as the ones used on the SRKing from Wallbuys. So maybe they are FET’s. It’s hard to tell because the part numbers have been sanded off.

Although this driver is undesirable for this application in the long run (due to having to parallel all emitters and having a rather high low mode), it could be useful for mod’s where a single emitter is used. Based on Pyro’s measurements, the parasitic drain is relatively low. It looks like this can be resister mod’ed for high current. Plus, there is no readily available drop-in alternative at the moment that I know off.

The 2175 at 30 sec that I just got is for a CNQ black U2 King. And as a note it a “bad driver” king, non torroid style, that only puts out 6.1A.
It’s a good light non the less, just saying CNQ doesn’t mean your going to get the “good” driver or that you will get a 2500 lumen King.

You absolutely right that that reading sounded low. I assumed my leads on my DMM were fine and I was making the mistake of doing it with only one good quality cell.
It’s a PITA to test these with 4 cells. Anyway tried it with two different craftsman DMM and with custom heavy gauge leads. Got much better results with both lights now. Was done with 4 cells sitting on the head, a heavy lead on each cell connected on one end, then heavy leads for the meter. I tried it multiple times and are certain my numbers are good now.
The King is reading in the 7.2A range
The Kung is reading in the 6.7A range
One meter was reading a little higher on both lights (above is the lower readings), but I feel VERY safe with these numbers being a minimum amperage these two lights put out.
So now my lumen numbers make a little more sense. For sure guys the tailcap testing method and the equipment make a big difference when you get to multi cell lights with higher amperages.

Mine has the good driver, as per my request upon ordering

Have you ever ‘tested’ it?

No, but when I got it I posted a pic of the driver and several here confirmed it was the good one.

Link? didn’t know you could request a certain driver….where’s the pic located?

I’m at work on my iPhone, if I can’t find the pic later I’ll reupload another pic.

I just purchased the Sky Ray Kung and have completely different results. I purchased from an Ebay vendor and flashlight was advertised like this:

Features:
100% Brand New 6500Lm 3x CREE XM-L XML T6 LED Flashlight Torch 40W Lamp Light
Made of high quality 6061T aluminum alloy, this flashlight is sturdy and durable enough for long time daily using
Lamp base: CREE, high power LED. With a lifespan of up to 100,000 hours or more, no need to consider replacing the cap for the whole life.
Waterproof, but don’t put it into water long time
Super Bright, blinding Effect
Crenellated strike bezel for enhanced self-defense
3 Mode high low strobe
Bulb: 4x CREE XM-L T6 LED
Switch Location: Tailcap (middle)
Max output: 6500 lumens
Power by: 4x 18650 3.6v/3.7v battery
Size(mm):135 x 55(bezel)/50(body)
Net Weight (g): 330g

I live in Georgia and received the flashlight in 7 days! (China vendor).
On inspection, one of the LED’s was waaay off center. Also, the anodizing was not as nice as my “original” Sky Ray King (2000 Lumen T6 3C purchased from CNQG’s). Inside, white wall bounces revealed a “bluish/white tint and the hot spot was less defined as compared to the 2000 Lumen version. Outside shots confirmed that this torch was significantly lacking compared to my CNQG’s SRK. I realise the color tints are completely different between the two……but no way is the SR Kung even close to my ”original”. I will be sending this back for a refund. Hope you all have better luck!