Review: Small Sun ZY-T08 2x18650 XM-L T6 from Fasttech

Would someone be able to measure the diameter off the thread on the head where the battery tube screws on. Thanks.

MRsDNF, I can do that later on today. Looking forward to seeing what kind of body tube you can churn out for this :wink:

Couple of ways, you can jump over the switch with the DMM leads, or you can use a single battery with the tube/host removed. You can also get creative and tape 2 batteries together, wire the neg ends together or ground them, but really not necessary -- easiest way is single battery with the tube removed, but I make sure I use a high amp battery (Samsung 20R, Pana PD, AW IMR).

Can't help with the resistor mod - this light is ideal for a Nanjg upgrade.

Thanks relic38. Its just buying components to make lights can be very expensive so its sometimes (always) a lot cheaper to buy a light as a host and go from there. I was curious whether a 26650 tube could be made to fit. Unfortunately l’m out of action in the shed for a few more weeks so the poor old mind is in overdrive reading and thinking without being able to do anything about it. I have a light on the go at the moment I get excited about just thinking about it. Unfortunately it has been 1/3 finished for the last 2 weeks and I can only look at it. Oh well, It was my choice to put myself out off action. Cheers.

thanks Tom, you’ve been very helpful :slight_smile:
I am thinking to increase the current only around 3A for balance run time and brightness and figure maybe adding 2 pieces of resistor might be easier than adding a nanjg driver as sandwich.

Runtime is over-rated!

-Garry

I actually gave some thought to runtime, for 2 seconds, oh - but that is the runtime! Once you are in the over-the-top over-driven mentality, it's hard to go back, and of course you attract other over-the-top'ers -- I know they have a problem, not me, I can control my amps...

The threads on the head where the body tube screws on are 38.7mm diameter. There are about three turns over a 7mm ish width. These are fairly coarse threads.
Hint: I checked on a D Mag tube, rethread it and it should be a nice fit :wink:

Thanks. Thats a huge thread. Out off curiosity did you compare the reflector to the HD2010 when you had it apart? If not dont go to any trouble. cheers.

I got a new T13 to mod from a friend at work, and it's a plastic reflector, just like the T08! The older T13 I got was aluminum. The HD2010, T08, and T13 are all about the same, but not sure if exactly - Im curious now so will check. Wish there was somewhere to buy a reflector that fits any of these lights - if anyone knows, please post.

Reflector measurements I did: all have common outer width of 57.75 mm, though I'd say thw rim width is bigger on the HD2010, making the inner reflector size slightly smaller.

Outside depth measurement: HD2010 - 37.9mm, T08 and T13 (plastic) - 38.7 mm. The depth measurement may not be so precise but it's best guestimate - my 6" digital caliper doesn't span across the width of the reflector, so I kind of had to guess the best alignment, but it looks like the HD2010 is definitely a bit shorter, not much though. The LED opening on the T08 and T13 is also bigger.

Overall, the T08 and T13 seem to have a slightly bigger reflector on the inside, and also the wider opening for the LED may be an advantage.

Thanks Tom E.

To measure the depth, I put the reflector open end down, and use the other end of the calipers (depth plunger) to go down through the emitter hole.
I cannot take the T08 apart again though, since it’s a real beeotch to realign on the MT-G2. Based on the measurements I made in the review (check the OP :wink: ), Tom E has it about right on.
From a visual perspective, they are very similar, with the T08 being slightly deeper. Comparing the beams, the added depth does slightly decrease the spill radius, with the XM-L2 HD2010 spill being slightly wider than the MT-G2 T08 spill.

Of course! Good idea!!

If anyone’s looking to buy a ZY-T08, this looks to be a pretty good price.

SMALL SUN ZY-T08 @ WB for $19.92USD (shipped). Use coupon code AASDWUTSRTW to bring the price down to $19.92USD.

Deal originally found on CPF

Dang! Just both my 2nd one from FT 2 days ago! But thanks! For this price I bought one just minutes ago for wired Flex Asgard! Will use a 4 wire stereo plug similar to this for programming.

using this:

The new T08's from FT though have the better finish now - no more heavy machine marks - the SS cap looks really good now. Dunno bout the WB units, but if the WB are still the old look, I'd rather pay a couple bucks more for the better finish.

finally I got mine modded. stack KD 8x7135 v2 driver (add another 4 chips) on the original driver…
also use copper tape to wrap around the pill to fill the gap between pill and host.
using common DMM + cheap cable and fresh charge PN3100, read 3.6A on tail. since the driver is regulated, I expect to see around 4.4-4.5A if use decent DMM.

nice power house and thrower considering the price :smiley:

May I know what is the diameter of the T08 stock driver? Thanks.

Yes you may, it’s in the review :wink: