Review: Solarforce L2 from solarforce-sales.com

Most probably my review on ant-supplies ltd., where I got GITD tailacps and a bunch of ordinary o-rings. They are not a real gun store, as the market for such is quite limited in the UK, but they carry a lot of paintball/ softair replica stuff and survivalist equipment.

They also carry the full line of SolarForce switches, and offer just the internal switch assembly of the S1 tailcap as well - switch and spring pre-assembled on the circuit board.

Tried the foybezelgrind today since I didn't have any use for the stock bezel anyway. Very happy with the results. I didn't have anything finer than 220 grit after taking a belt sander to it, but I still like it. I have no skill whatsoever in doing stuff that takes any level of craftsmanship, but the results were very good. This might even be better than the flat stainless bezel. If I drop it and ding up the bezel, I can just grind it down a little more (or put the stainless bezel back in).

I did this with my gunmetal gray L2; I don't think it would look right on my sand colored L2i. I am tempted to go buy a couple of gray L2i's now that I don't have to pay the extra $2.50 for the flat bezel. Thanks, foy!

I didn't see if you answered my question . . . but is your "silver" L2 the same color as the gunmetal gray L2i? The L2 looks like it doesn't have the greenish tint of gunmetal gray.

Very clean work, Foy. Congratulations I personally prefer slightly crenelated bezels just to see if the light is on or off (when it's head down I mean)

Yep . That's the reason I didn't sand my bezel all the way down . Just enough to make it easy to pocket .

Oldbook - No, no. I was not insulted at all, really. You were just stating the obvious. Sorry if it came back sounding a little strong I was trying to fry it, if it could be. I don't recommend anyone else trying it and I will also let everyone else decide for themselves how robust that Ultra Fire drop-in is. It still works perfectly and is as bright as it ever was.

brted - No, they are not the same color. It's a little odd but the L2i is slightly green. It looks somewhat less so in real life but it definitely has a green tint.

Thank you for the nice words, everyone.

bezelbegoodFoy

Another nice review and PICs Foy. I just got a grey L2 in the mail today and a Uf manafont xml 3mode dropin. I also noticed the different direction of the knurling on the cap and think that if they followed the body it would look much better. I was really impressed with the Uf dropin compared to the solarforce 1 mode i got. its more white throughout the beam much nicer than the yellowish center of the sf dropin.

solarforcefanboytoo

james - That is exactly my impression when I compared the Ultra Fire XM-L to the Solarforce drop-in. Slightly brighter (noticeably brighter, actually) and more white. The Solarforce is a great XM-L drop-in but it is not as impressive as the Ultra Fire.

anditis3dollarscheapertooFoy

i put on the OP reflector i got from manafont on the sf dropin and the yellowness disappeared but more ringy on the outside but the hotspot was all white with no ring.

I'll have to try that with the extra reflector Manafont sent with the last XM-L I got from them.

Foy

I think it loses a lot of brightness with op just from what i see. Can u please take beamshots with both op/smo on both dropins.

Thx

I actually wondered the same thing a few weeks ago and posted the results here.

http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/1920

beentheredonethatFoy

Um, I may have spoke too soon about the results of my giving 6-volts-to-a-4.2 volt-drop-in "test." It used to be exactly the same brightness as my other Ultra Fire XM-L drop-in. Now, it is slightly less so. Not a lot less; maybe about as bright as a Solarforce XM-L.

Unabused Ultra Fire XM-L.

Ultra Fire XM-L with Foyfried driver.

justkeepingitrealFoy

Better comparison Foy ;)

Generally, OP reflector should smoothen the beam pattern, but will lose throw.

Question about a dropin on solarforce-sales.

They have an XP-G that says it is 4v-18v

Can you use that drop-in with 18650 battery? Seems like it would be minimal, but if you go to the .4v-4.2v dropin , then you can use 2xcr123 with it.

http://solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=29&id=30

U can use up to 4 18650 with that. 4x4.2.=16.8
If u go up to 4.2v then 1 cell only

Thanks JEJ; guess I need to study up on batteries. I was thinking that nominal voltage on an 18650 dropped below 4.0v pretty quickly.

And just a quick comment on the OP; that triangular lanyard thingy is sure an ugly duck.

Very functional, but I have to agree. Solarforce has a much better looking 'cigar hold' on one of their switches, but the size of the switch is almost as large as the head!

I think Solarforce could make a tom of money by designing a better lanyard/cigar-hold accessory, along with a good anodized clip matching their bodys.

Bold courage or bald stupidity.

I have an empty L2r in need of a soul and you've decided the matter. Going to solarforce-sales to order that R5. The L2r is long but I think it's perfect for close-in needs when you're holding something else in addition to the flashlight, like a camera for example. It's a great cigar hold light too and I think the knurling on the L2r (and the L2i) is near perfect.

justsayin'Foy

My first light I bought a few monthe ago was the L2R with XPG R5 3mode and 1 of the 2 I bought had a switch that worked half the time and then finally failed altogether. They sent me a whole new endcap for it. I then got the L2i battery tube and switch for 6 bucks so I could convert between AA, AAA and 18650 although thats all I have been using lately. Looking back I should have just bought the whole L2i host for a couple bucks more, being frugal has its drawbacks sometimes. That drop in is great though, even on one AA nimh it puts out decent light and with 2 double AAs it lasts a long time. I like the mode spacing too, low is perfect for upclose stuff and just walking around.

What host supports just 1 AA battery?