Review: Solarforce L2N

Thought I'd post up some pics of a fully blinged L2N . . .

A001 head, S9 tail cap and stainless steel Foybezel™ makes this ergonomic looker the best L2N to have and to hold.

IdoandIdoFoy

Love your work, Foy :heart_eyes:

Thanks very much for the detailed review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

Thanks again Foy !

Now that L2N-A001-S9 Combo has to be one of the most gorgeous P60 flashlight hosts ever.
Too bad my Flashlight budget is blown for 2012….(sigh)….maybe next year.
Already have the S9 tailcap and Foybezel™ (Un-Licensed version).

“This incredible U3 module continues to amaze with its scorching 1,000 lumen ocean of light and its self contained/fully potted/waterproof design . . . absolutely perfect for the L2N. Hands down; the best P60 combination on the planet. Very easy statement to make.”

Where do I find information on this drop in, MD26E “Meisterstück” from Vinz . . .? Google doesn’t give me anything.
Thanks.

Hello Musket,
you don’t find any information, because it’s really rare. Vinz is a german flashlightmodder and he built this drop-in.
You will find some information about this drop-in in the thread of Foy:

He don’t make mass production. If you want something special, you can write him a message and ask.

By the way: Meisterstück is the german word for masterpiece.
Here are two of his projects:
UK 4AA
Trustfire A8, Quad XP-G

The newest awesome project - a UV drop-in

Hi, just wanted to ask (make sure), Is it okay to use the M6 tailcap with any of the L2 series host? Thanks in advance! =)

Yes, the tailcap of the M6 is the S9, and is compatible with: Solarforce L2, L2M, L2T, L2P, L2X, L2M Special Edition Masterpiece Pro-2, M6, M8, L600, L1200.

Thanks for the reply. I was checking the Solarforce HK website but was not able to see the S9 Tailcap there. I’m new to mixing Solarforce parts. I would assume this came out before the L2N (in which I’m hoping to dress up), and is most likely also compatible right? Again, thanks! :smiley:

The L2N belongs to the series L2 and then you can put S9 on L2N.
On the site of solarforce S9 is gone, and I hope to return.

Foy, as an expert in all things solarforce, What tailcap configuration is the best? I will be ordering the L2N and was wondering if it was worth it to get a tailcap that tail stands and/or is a reverse clicky.

How easily is the forward clicky on the L2N activated? I am wondering how prone to accidental activation it would be in a camping pack.

The Solarforce tail caps and switches are actually pretty good as they are. They do not come on or activate accidentally or un-intentionally in my personal experiences. If you place a light in a camping pack, just put it in bezel down/switch up. I do not think that there is a “best” tail cap configuration. The stock tail caps and switches are all pretty good for what they are. My only suggestion would be to get a light for a specific purpose. Example, the L2T is more of a tactical light, whereas the L2P is more of a general usage light. If you are looking for a general usage type of host, try and get a tail cap with a flat bottom that allows for tail standing. Just my 2 cents.

As an owner of the L2T, I was pretty easily convinced to buy the L2N host.

Can I have some recommendations for a U3 or U2 drop-in for this host? As I read Foy’s review, I understand Solarforce’s drop-ins aren’t very good. Although I’m happy with my old T6.

edit: I meant a commercially available U3/U2 drop-in. 1-mode or no-memory modes starting on High, as Balder’s type.

So you don’t want to purchase a custom build drop in, or does these count as ‘commercially available’?

As far as I know there is no single mode U2/U3 p60 drop in available, besides the one sold by SF (solarforceflashlight-sales.com).
Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I recommended SF lights an drop ins to a few friends and fellow photographers/light painters, and there were no failures so far.

You can contact E1320 and ask him to build you such a drop in.

I buy 3 mode U2 drop ins from aliexpress.

You may want to check these out. They have a 1 mode module rated for 3-6v that is a very nice drop in for the money.

http://edcplus.com/accessories-p60-dropins-c-3_18.html

Just ordered a black L2N with SF U2 drop-in for $32 including delivery, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Hi Foy,
Thank you for your info on everything P60 mods, you have kept me up for the past 4 days! COL!!
The ‘other’ expensive site I used to frequent never held my interests like your posts, not even close.

I so want your SF A001 head, searched high and low until I suddenly realized that yours is converted by yourself! How did you do it? Looks like your are good in the shop.
Does the S9 cap look bigger (thus better more aggressive) than the new S11 cap? I actually like the orange button of the S9 to the black S11. Well…

On another note.
Should I post the following on another link?
I like to ask you on the 3 modes P60:
Solarforce U2 XML (880) ≥ Manafont Ultrafire T6 XML ≥ Solarforce T6 XML (820)
On 18650 batteries, are Turstfire flames (the best) better than Solarforce brand?

I always enjoy your reviews, Foy, and this one was no exception.

Just a tip though, that is not a square thread on the tailcap - read about square threads here Square Threads

I’ve often read about square threads on lights, but I’ve never actually seen one. This one has just got the top of the threadform flattened, rather than the proper radius (as is usual these days, it’s a lot easier to cut a thread like that on a CNC machine)

Cheers

Just wanted to brag about my new L2N which arrived yesterday.

The first thing that you really notice is the build quality. It’s spectacular. No flaws or whatsoever. Very, very nice to the touch. Bigger switch button is better than the L2T, which I also own. I had one minor problem with the switch, which I had to disassemble and assemble again in order to get it to work properly. Sometimes it was not starting. I guess a mistake when putting the components together, because I did nothing else but disassemble/assemble and visual checking.
I don’t particularly like the anti-roll ring on the head, but it sure does work properly. The “grip” is also pretty useless for me, but it gives the body a nice “pro” feel.

Now performance wise. It seems to me that my old L2T with SF T6 is a little brighter than this SF U2 drop-in with L2N. I may be mistaken because I have no measurement device. It maybe because the U2 gives a more neutral white while the T6 is clearly cool white and as far as I know cool white always seems brighter to the eye. Anyway they are pretty identical and the only visible difference is the tint. I also tested them in the dark in distances well above 100m and it seems that the U2 in the L2N has just a little more concentrated hotspot and beam. But you have to really look for it. My point is, if you already have a T6 drop-in, there’s really no need for the SF U2, just order the host. I have to mention that the drop-in came in a plastic protective box, which can be used for storage. Not a big deal, but sure one of the things which makes the SolarForce experience very pleasant.

Oh, I also got a great serial number A00999. Again not a big deal, but both my cars have 9999 plates and as you’d probably guess 9 is my favorite number, so I was pretty lucky to get exactly this one.