Review: Solarforce L2N

I'm not a fan of Forward clicky, Garry. I switched the guts from an old crappy L2M. I have read the the switch has to be filed down to fit.

I took another look at my L2 switches and stand corrected.

The L2P switches I purchased have the small diameter boot identical to my older L2P. My new L2P has the large diameter boot.

My replacement L2P switches are of a larger diameter and have a larger diameter retaining ring than my L2M forward clicky, which has the small boot but not a simple swap due mainly to the retaining ring. The L2N though would be much easier.

The L2N forward clicky is the same diameter as the L2P reverse clicky as well as using the same retaining ring.

L2N on the left, L2P on the right.

The switch fits perfectly but the boot is a problem. The smaller boot does not fit snug in the L2N switch housing. It does not fall through the opening by floats around no matter how tight the switch is secured. The smaller boot must be used to activate the switch due to a raised boss on the underside.

I’m sure it would be easy to correct the movement of the boot with the right O ring or combination of 2 O rings. The switch operated fine.
The new L2Ps use the larger switch boot with a reverse clicky but I don’t see that switch on the SF sales site, pity, it would probably be a direct drop in.

Thanks Itinifni! Might see what I can do with the switch I have if/when I get one.

-Garry

Well, even with normal size man paws, the cutaways are not really spaced properly imho. Still and all, the L2N is really quite nice.

Whereareyoufoy?

Awww weak. I thought my username was unique. :cowboy_hat_face:

You and this review!

I just ordered a L2N-grey from Solarforce :slight_smile:

Unfortunately Jo advises that all orders now placed on their “new” web site will ship registered airmail :frowning: I’m just hoping that I don’t experience a repeat of my recent 5 week fiasco with an order from DX also sent this mode via Hong Kong Post. The last 4 weeks were after Hong Kong Post had it. No status after they sorted until the morning my package arrived at the local post office here. Jo said to expect 1-2 weeks. Got my fingers crossed!

Now I’m confused as tracking status shows the package as an International First Class package…… we’ll see if I too am able to avoid a 40+ mile round trip :slight_smile:

It usually took 10-14 days to canada, depending on day shipped. They require a signature though so keep track and try to be home, or have someone home.

The l2n is a great host, looks awesome with l2t head.

Well color me surprised thus far. I ordered the host on the 21st. Hong Kong Post showed acceptance on the 22nd and processed through on the 24th. Now it was processed at San Francisco on the 26th and departed on the 27th. I may have it in hand early next week :slight_smile:

I love these flashlights. They look awesome!

I ordered on the 15th and just got mine today, it arrived in pretty good shape and everything. USPS tracking was a bit suspect though, it processed though sanfran and departed, then was processed and departed again? After that it it just magically transported all the way across the country and though the offices and got here in a day.

Bit wonky but it’s here regardless. Looks pretty nice but there are some marks on the inner tube, minor but still there. I like the grey color but it isn’t super consistent from head to body to tail. The body seems slightly lighter but I’m ok with it. Overall looks good but there was a spec of dust on the lens too, and the threads on the tail-cap were a tad bit rough (Still good, but not super smooth).

Overall it seems like a good host but I’ll see how it runs long term. At least my logo’s line up :smiley: (head-body).

First off this is the quickest I’ve ever received a shipment from the Pacific Rim! Ordered my L2N-grey on the 21st and had it in hand on the 28th. And it didn’t require a signature just like Foy’s delivery. I’ve e-mailed Jo thanking him for the expeditious delivery and quality product.

Second, this is my first Solarforce. I opted for a Solarforce 3-level 3.7v LC-XM-L T6 drop in and it appears to be just what I hoped for. The host itself is very nice. No issues with color inconsistencies. There were minor tube interior scratches from the tailcap end but as others have opined that appears related to the finishing process meaning no biggie. I do like the grey and am glad I opted for it over the black version. That said it is quite dark…. much more than my old Surefires :slight_smile: Did what I always do with my torches and lubed the threads with FP-10.

Curious that my serial number is earlier than Foys. His is A00694 and mine A00439. Odd that….

I can only say that Foy’s enthusiasm for this model is spot on! Highly recommended!

Updating a few reviews and I must admit, my L2N is a bit of a shelf queen. It still has the A001 head and S9 cap but I'm using Erik's 5-mode U2 drop-in. With so many exciting (read: more expensive) lights on the landscape, the P60 form factor remains interesting to me. I more or less view it as a kind of anchor, foundation or starting point upon which my collection/hobby is based.

I still maintain that a budding flashaholic's first couple of lights should include a quality P60 host. An L2N wouldn't be the worst first torch to buy.

nsforeverybodyFoy

I have a couple of new (1 month) L2Ns and I am dismayed to say that (in gray at least) the color coating is wearing extremely fast, the bottom of the head (7 surfaces) looks like I dragged it across sandaper (now, there is an idea to ‘refinish’), lots more scratches on these than any of my other SF products, some of which have actually been dragged across sandpaper!

Some older (1-3 years) hosts have survived much better.

And noticed again, that the anodized L2Ps that I have are quite noticeably different in the shades of color - irritating, bit disappointing- but are wearing like iron.

Maybe I need that lovely blue one just to establish a wear baseline?

Good point . . .

I think I've mentioned in a few reviews this very issue and I've noticed the greatest variation in grey as well. I probably should be annoyed but honestly, I just see it as another color. My much loved old "silver" L2i looks green to me . . .

This is from a long time ago, the "silver" L2i on the far right next to an old version silver L2, itself a different color than a light I bought later . . .

I bought the one on the right about a year later and it has a distinct bluish tint.

Here's another thing that gets me . . .

All three are L2Ps and all are advertised having "Golden grade" mil-spec type III blah, blah, blah. In my experience, only the black L2P and L2X has the gold finish inside. The blue L2P will set you back $8 more than the black but in my opinion, a blue L2P is little more than an L2 cut like an L2P.

Huge issue that must be resolved.

definitelydefinitelymattersFoy

My biggest disappoint w SF is that they seem to be on a downward trend on quality. It may be (now I am an apologist for them?!) that is true, and that our expectations are no longer realistic in that regards. After all they hardly set the world afire w performance. It’s always been a better quality budget light in my book.

In the end my expectations are not that high for them, especially given the price points - but I am disappointed to see my two new L2N gray bodies looking like they are the oldest ones in my collection rather than the newest by 2+ years!

And as you pointed out, I am certainly not the first one to experience this.

I was just reminded by one of my customers (we are sitting here in the NE watching the snow pile up WAY beyond what was predicted, but, heck, its Friday! Can’t all be bad….

So anyway, he reminds me that I gave away in a workplace drawing several counterfeit SF…I had to think about that when it happened, a counterfeit of a $10-18 host! He was right, it sure looked like a cheaper knock off. Same deal with the colors too, odd bit of blue in the stainless.

As it happened, the one that I kept for myself, I had bought a SST-50 drop in for…both were garbage for all sorts or reasons.

Maybe that was a snowy Friday too?!

Well, I must admit that I haven't had a Solarforce order for a few months but until I see otherwise I'll have to defend their host quality superior to just about everything else. Yes, finishes should absolutely be consistent from light to light but as long as the light itself is good . . . having said that, I have a couple of unbelievably horrible examples of poor quality from Solarforce. I have an old version gold L2 that, even if you put it in a vise, the tail cap will not come off. It had loose thread shavings upon arrival and I thought I got them all out, but it's like it is welded on.

That's one among about a dozen of my own and another several dozen I've sold. Also have not tried a SF drop-in module in a long time; mainly because the ones I have tried were all spectacular underachievers.

Usually, every Solarforce light/host I get has exquisite quality.

drinksthekoolaidFoy

foyneedsmoreknivesinhiskitchen