Review: Solarforce S1100

And nice review and pictures Foy. Your the best.

Ahhhhh yes,the review from the solarforce guru.Great pictures and I really like the commentary in the reviews.I was stoked too when I saw the screw in the tripod hole (fail on solarforce's end)but a really well designed light otherwise.Seeing this makes me want to spend more money than I have.Thanks for the review Foy.

Another gem from Solar Force. The price is good too.
:bigsmile:

Sp5it -

I absolutely cannot believe I missed that! Un flipping believable.

I have fondled this light until I was sure I noticed every single thing.

observantFoy

Nice catch! XD

Thanks for another review Foy.
Good to see material of this calibre continuing to be posted on this forum.

All the best for your desert drive.

I hesitate to put these so-so beam shots up because Foy doesn't have real throwers to compare this light to so, I went with what I had.

selfconsciousFoy

No need to be self-conscious -- those beamshots are great !

just a wonderful look and read!! I own and love this light.

Interesting, the enthusiastic response from everyone that owns this light. Even on a budget forum, a buck-twenty is acceptable if the light delivers the goods. Makes you wonder what Olight would charge for something like this.

alotFoy

Indeed... I think it would be 'worth it' (for whatever than means) even at their silly fake-list-price of $199. I don't know if I would have been willing to spend that much, on this one or any other (cause I'm just generally a cheapskate who has fun scavenging in junk piles to find raw materials to build flashlights with), but I think they would still sell at that price.

Fantastic night shots there Foy. I was thinking to myself that Foy may get hit by a plane taking pictures on a runway but at the end Foy said he was on a busy road. Did Foy not listen to his mum about playing on roads, especially busy ones. What would we do if Foy got locked up for creating havoc with traffic. I shall be informing Mrs Foy about this so that she may keep a better watch on naughty Foy. Bad boy Foy. :expressionless:

The beamshots turned out great. Something I noticed: the Skyline 1 and MP-Pro 1 appear to have nearly perfect uniformity between hotspot and spill (as do the XR-E lights I have).

S1100 whitewall.

For whatever reason, this whitewall shows the center spot larger and corona thinner than they are in in real life. Nevertheless, I am impressed when I see a smooth, consistent beam profile like this with a completely smooth reflector.

And, you are right Slim; an XR-E in a high quality reflector can have a great beam profile.

Foy

Don’t know if you’ve gotten a chance for the long distance shots you were planning, but if I may I’d like to recommend some high ground. If nothing more than on top of a picnic table or from the bed of a truck but an elevated stance so that the beam is more visible across the distance. From one mountainside to another is fabulous! When putting the light beam across a void the spill doesn’t detract from the hot spot so much, so it makes the distance more measureable to the eye. Likewise, shooting the beam up a hill shows everything illuminated from beginning to end of beam. Measuring the distance you shot is easy with Google Earth. Simply start at a point that you will recognize from an aerial view and point at an object that is also recognizeable, easy to get intermediate distances as well for the spill.

I really like the comparison to the Solarforce M3 head on an L2P host, as I have one of those and love it. My modified HD2010 trounces the M3 though, so I wonder how it’d compare to this S1100? I can see the light on a neighbors barn where he has the flag always flying and illuminated…at 650yds from me. (even though the flags are illuminated, the side of the barn lights up visibly with the HD2010 from 650yds)

Man, that’s definately a “Buy Me” light. Gonna have to recover somewhat after some of the builds lately but I’m definately putting this one on my watch list!

Thanks Foy, excellent write-up!

Edit: Another though, while wide angle shots show the overall beam profile, an optic setting of around 50mm resembles what the human eye sees and is great for perspective. :slight_smile:

Another entertaining read, thanks Foy. The voltuge must have been written by the same guy who created the L2P “specical” edition”.

4 of mine all say Special Edition, one in black has no writing at all…it was ordered sans tail cap and head as I was replacing both of those with upgraded tailcap and M3 head.

Oh man, why do they do this? I looked at Solarforce and they’ve upgraded this light to an MT-G2 giving it 2200 lumens!! For about $20 more. Would this make it an even better thrower or would it, with it’s slight orange peel reflector, actually cut the throw back a bit?

What to do?

Hello, does any know if the battery holder work with flat top batteries?

Very nice review by the way, Foy.

Foy,

I wanted to ask you if you were like me when you first opened the box and picked this flashlight up and held it in your hand if it was heavier than what you expected it? It’s a very hefty flashlight and weighs more than what I expected.