Review: Solarstorm SP03 3*XM-L2 U2 (4*18650

Nice review. The pattern of your wound and the picture before it make it look like you used your finger for the wrench when the other tool didn’t work: such determination!

I have done exactly what JM did, a nice pinch with the pliers. You squeeze as hard as you can and the pliers slip off and a decent amount of flesh gets caught in the closed portion of the handle. Pliers usually end up relocated onto the driveway or worse. :wink:

Very detailed review, thanks JM. :slight_smile:

The Loctite thing is really a PITA. I hate the handle very much especially it sticks out from the base, or at least Solarstorm should allow us to freely remove/attach the handle as we like.

I was actually ready to order one, but now should I be put off due to the Loctite thing? :~

super review! it would be super awesome to see a beamshot of those 4 lights though…

Oh I know what you mean, I’ve pinched myself before too, just having a little fun with it. My worst wound like that I got at the base of my finger long ago while cleaning a Beretta, a um…wonderfully intelligent man (yeah thats it) decided to reach over to “look at it” while the chamber was open, pressed the release while it was still in my hand, chamber slammed shut and took a big chunk of my hand with it on the other side…OUCH!

in addition, I find other reviews about Solarstorm SP03,Please see the following link of the introduction of Solarstorm SPO3

Great review, as always!

Would water be allowed into the screw holes once the handle is removed similar to the terminator?

Maybe you can take the handle off, trim it down, and strip ALL the anodizing off… give it the O-L special?

It’s a little late for me to check on mine but I believe it is a blind hole and still watertight. Perhaps one of the other guys can poke a coat hanger or something into theirs and confirm?

Nice pictures JohnnyMac.

And I could almost feel your pain...ouch.

Pretty sad they all loctite everything on the light.

And a real pity to not be able to put that handle back in its original position.

If you take off 3 millimeters, you can put it back so it will tail stand.

Wow. JM that sucks about your finger. I know that hurt. I hate pinching myself! My handle came off really easy. No lock-tite at all. I do believe that you are right about the handle screw holes being dead ends. I stuck one of my wife’s earring studs into the holes and they do bottom out. You also correct in saying that this light is considerably smaller than the tk75 and much smaller than the BTU.

Awesome review BTW!

Hi manxbuggy1, where did you order your SP03 from without being loctite?

I bought my from soondeal.com

Great review Johnny…

Thanx for this review JM, though a chunk of meat from your finger has to go to make this as thorough as can be. :slight_smile:

The SP03 is definitely in my wishlist. :bigsmile:

For now I won’t get a ‘major’ flashlight yet until I get the BTU Shocker I ordered from Ric which is sitting at our customs office for almost 2 weeks. :expressionless:

Can anyone talk about PWM of the SP03? Is it as bad as the warrior? Thanks

eebowler, I'll try to remember to compare the two again tonight. I can't recall but if my memory is correct it is better. Much better. I was just using my SP03 last night to walk the pooch and noticed that it wasn't half as bad as the Warrior was. The S700 I just got has PWM but it's far faster still and really not noticeable.

Just got mine in the mail this evening. Been playing with all modes in a closet trying to entertain a five-year-old in the game “camp-out on Mars” and I can say for sure that any PWM is unnoticeable. I wouldn’t have even known it.

Will tell more after the walk around the block tonight! :smiley:

anybody have beamshot of this light in the dark? probably comparison with SRK?

I’ll post a few.

I don’t think my buddy Johnny will mind me posting a few photos here.

Solarstorm SP03 XM-L2

110yds

445yds I’ll show you 2 shots at this distance - one not as much zoom and the other more zoom to show detail.