Review: Solarstorm T3 (pic heavy)

I’ve never seen this problem with all the other brand lights. So far, just your T4 and my SC02 from solarstorm. It will be interesting to see what rmm finds. I will contact the manufacture and see if I can get an honest answer. They would probably miss this issue in Quality control because at first I did not notice it until I happened to look at the light when it was off, the LED had a very faint glow and it did not go away. Would definitely eat up the batteries fast when off.

Not sure if it is relevant. My Courui big head thrower was fine when it came as stock. As I removed the sense resistor and bridged it with a drop of big solder blob the LED is still barely lit even when it’s switched to Off.

Hey guys!

i got Codes for both T3 and T4 - a few Bucks are a few bucks… :wink:

Aff Links!
Solarstorm T4 Code: ST4 for 29 USD

Solarstorm T3 Code: ST3 for 27 USD

T4 non aff
T3 non aff

I like the size and weight of the T3 well enough so I have gone ahead and ordered a couple of older similar size lights from the same manufacturer, Black Shadow. These are the Fandyfire Darth, originally the Black Shadow Darth, and the Supfire/FandyFire Warrior. The Warrior has arrived and it is almost identical in dimensions with the T3. The Warrior head is 2mm larger in diameter at the very front and the T3 is about 3mm longer. Loaded with batteries the Warrior is about 45 grams or 1.6 ounces heavier. The Warrior tail cap is easily removed to access the battery spring board for adding copper braid to the springs if desired. I may make a tool to try and remove the T3 tail cap too w/o damaging the finish.

Based on description and photos the Darth is the smallest of the three lights as far as head diameter goes but with the magnetic ring UI may turn out to be the heaviest. Definitely the most expensive at $60.52 and per published info it has the lowest claimed output. It should be the longest lasting based on the much heavier battery contact ring in the head. Also the easiest to get to the electronics as the battery contact ring is removable just by removing two screws. In this respect it is more similar to the BlackShadow Terminator and the SupFire M6 and L1 lights construction than the typical SRK type construction lights with glued in battery contact board with just thin copper used for the battery contact ring.

The Warrior definitely is using much warmer LEDs but the T3 has noticeably greater output. Similar size hot spots as I would expect with virtually identical appearing reflectors and XM-L LEDs. The center hot spots in a ceiling bounce both appear to be slightly dimmer at the center than closer to the edge. Not sure if an optical illusion or not. With the greater output the T3 gets hot a lot faster too. Be interesting to compare both with the Darth when it arrives.

For those interested both the Darth and Warrior have been reviewed on BLF and the reviews can be found using the search function.

I feel like blackshadow went backwards in improvement of the t3 and t4 battery tube. I dont care for the extra material that hangs out on the tail. The k2, t70 and warrior battery tubes had a better looking design.

You can add a healthy strip of solder to the thin strip of copper on the battery/driver positive contact ring.

Does someone know the diameter of the base board with the emitter,16mm? I will order new ones with a warmer tint and will take it apart when they arrives so I don´t have their sizes yet.

Yeah from the picture they look like 16mm.

3mm thickness of the LED shelf, good.

Thanks! Will order 3 new ones right away.