[Review] Speras E21

Speras E21

At the end there will be a summary for those who like only particulars. In each topic I will bold the key sentences, so it will be easier to notice what’s the most important. Enjoy!

This flashlight was send by Speras, check their website and this flashlight: E21 – Speras Light
They also have a Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/speraslight/speras-e21-a-2000lm-compact-but-powerful-edc-flashlight?ref=18ktrd

Table of Contents:

• General parameters

• Package content

• Appearance, parameters

• UI, runtime and charging

• PWM

• Waterproofness

• Light pattern, tint

• Beamshots

• Gallery and Summary

General Parameters

Type Description
Material Aluminium
Reflector Smooth
Lens Glass, AR coated
LED SST40 6500K
Switch Mechanical, forward type
Brightness 2000lm max, theoretical ANSI/NEMA F1
Throw 322m, 26kcd
Power -
Modes 5 + strobe, SOS
Mode memory Yes
Battery 1x 21700 (LG INR21700M50LT), built-in
Charging USB type C, 5V 2A, charging time 3h
Reverse polarity protection -
Low voltage protection Yes
Waterproof IP68, up to 2m underwater
Impact resistance 1.5m
Size [Diameter: (Head: 25.4mm / Tube: 25.4mm)] / Length: 128mm
Weight Flashlight: - / Flashlight + battery: 135g

Package content

Inside were:

• Flashlight

• Lanyard

• Metal clip (mounted)

• USB charging cable

• USB A to USB C adapter

• Manual

Isn’t it nice? Look at the inside of this box: it is totally custom, each foam piece is cut to fit perfectly. It is so cute! I can’t help imagining they packing and preparing it. ”Put this foam here” ”Wait, leave a handwritten note so he knows how to unlock it”.

Just look at the manual! It is just printed on a plain A4 paper.

Here, take this paper and print our manual

And they even added a picture of the flashlight!

It is amazing, I think all manuals should now include pictures of flashlights.

Otherwise how will you know you got the right flashlight? Right?

What if you received a different one? How can you know?

Now you can simply compare it!

Like that:

Yes, this is the right one, I can clearly see.

What about this one:

No, this doesn’t seem right…

Well, this one is still different

Better but still no

Is this a headlamp?

No, this is not what I ordered

It is not even a flashlight

Still no

What even is that

Appearance, parameters

Not very small, not very big. I mean, it’s rather small considering they put there a large button, charging port and rather deep reflector.

Let’s dive deeper (but not too deep, so we don’t implode):

Aluminium ”tactical” bezel

Glass, AR coated lens, aluminium SMO reflector, SST40 6500K LED

Windows 10 logo

I mean Speras E21 logo

USB type C charging port (it serves as a power bank as well), well protected by a rubber cover

Deep knurling, helps with secure grip

Attached two way metal clip with lanyard hole

Big rubber button

Inside:

UI, runtime, heat dissipation and charging

UI

Innovative UI, there is one button which have 2 functions: on/off if you press it like that (so…normally)

or you can change modes or have momentary moonlight from off state by pressing from the side, like that:

How does it work? There are 2 metal surfaces inside, and when they are brought into contact by something, function mentioned above triggers.

But how is it possible, if there is only rubber there?
It turns out, this rubber is conductive on the inside, and only on the inside

Cool

This is why it is so big and pronounced, so it’s easier to push it.
SST40 is not that powerful, but you probably immediately spotted a problem: accidentally turning it on in a backpack. This is why it has a lockout mode, you nudge it 6 times to lock it, and 3 times to unlock it. You cannot simply unscrew the tailcap to mechanically lock it.

Runtime

Heat dissipation

Max declared surface temperature = 60°C

In my tests I got ~ 55°C after a minute, and it settled at 50°C after 3 minutes.
I know it shows 54, but it went to 55.

Charging

USB type C charging port (well covered with soft rubber), charging time 3 hours.

You can also charge a smartphone, because the flashlight acts as a power bank

AND THEY INCLUDED A USB TYPE A TO USB TYPE C ADAPTER!
This is huge, because not everyone has a double USB C cable.

PWM

I was not able to detect the PWM on the lowest brightness, my camera was showing something that might indicate PWM, but it was very very quick, and I am not even sure if it was just an artefact or PWM.

Waterproofness

Declared IP68, which means: ”No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust-tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on airflow. ” + ”Immersion, 1 meter or more depth ”.
Here it is immersion up to 2 meters.

Light pattern, tint

Luminus SST40 6500K, 2000lm max brightness (ANSI/ NEMA F1 standards), max throw 322m 26kcd

SST40 6500K produces greenish halo around the hotspot, and generally greenish tint on lower brightness, transiting into violet tint on high brightness. Manufacturer specified ”Light spot angle: 9.5° ” and ”Light flood angle: 53°
Also the tactical bezel renders sharp edges, but it’s not visible during regular use.

Beamshots

ISO200
t2s
f/3.5
5000K white balance

General picture of what the forest looks like:

Beamshots of Speras E21:

If you don’t see any pictures here, that’s probably because I haven’t done them yet… I am sorry. You know, the forest is pretty far away, about a 40-minute walk to get there, at least 30 minutes to take pictures (sometimes I spend there 2 hours) and 40 minutes to go back home. I am laaaaazyyyy. Why am I still typing this? I don’t know. Maybe I want you to appreciate the effort… If you are quick enough to read it, you can consider saying thank you in the comment. I will delete all this text tomorrow when I go to the forest, tak pictures, note everything in my smartphone (brightness, flashlight order), edit the pictures, copy to different folders, upload to the internet and think about a clever comment about the pictures to add here.

Gallery

Yes, I might be using it as an excuse to show off my keyboard :roll_eyes:

But look at it

Isn’t it great?!

It has those great screws

Nice finished metal sides

USB type C charging port, and you can use it wirelessly or on a cable, with Windows or Mac (if you’re a weirdo)

Plastic bottom with rubber pads

2-position kickstand

Fully illuminated

If you want your keyboard to be reviewed, contact me now!

100% professional detailed unbiased review

Well…that was weird…

Summary

Speras E21 equipped with SST40 6500K can output up to 2000 lumens. SMO reflector provides tight beam with good reach and spill as well. Built-in 21700 5000mAh battery is okay. If you plan on using a flashlight very often, it might not be the best option for you. But as most Li-ion cells, this one should remain 80% of its original capacity after 500 cycles. You can use it as a power bank as well.
This flashlight is like a dinner in the restaurant - it is prepared, ready to eat, but you can’t enter the kitchen and change ingredients, grab a frying pan and fry the meat.
If you are familiar with Convoy brand, their flashlights are like cooking at home - you probably won’t prepare as good meal as in the restaurant and won’t have an IP68 or power bank function in your flashlight, but you will be able to change LED, battery or reflector easily, or add more garlic, sauce or whatever you like. You get the point.

Pros:

• Innovative tail button

• IP68

• USB type C charging port

• Power bank function

Cons:

• Built-in battery

• Hard or impossible to disassemble

If you have any questions, put them below, thanks for sticking for a while :slight_smile:

2 Thanks

Wasnt there a company lookong for a slogan recently on BLF.

Its a bird, its a plane, its the Windows 12 flashlight, “The flashlight to bring you into next century,” includes keyboard so you can write own UI in assembly language.

Dude, great review, my kind of humor.

Next review your keyboard. I am very much into good mechanical keyboard.

Cheers.

1 Thank

I have the Keychron K8, which is the slightly bigger TKL variant. Nice keyboard, mine and yours! :+1:

(The K8 one of the few which has backlit keys and wireless connection with decent battery runtime and a fair pricing.)

I wonder why you should buy this lamp and why you should not just take a Convoy or Wurkkos. But hey - one thing stays the same: the famous Luminus green! :smiley:

1 Thank

I wanted something smaller than a full size, and even smaller than TKL. Your K8 is TKL, K2 is 75% and since I’m also programming I wanted something with F keys. There is also K3, but with smaller battery and not that universal keycap size. I might get a 60% one day, but with arrow keys.
It’s a pity I found out I want something smaller after I bought a 180$ full size keyboard. Well…

Anyway, you could buy this flashlight if you want a different UI, you know, with side button push, and a power bank functionality. But other than that, well, I have to be honest - get a Convoy with GT-FC40 90CRI, I like this LED SO much.

1 Thank

I enjoyed your review Mocarny - thanks for posting! :grinning:

1 Thank

Nice keyboard. It’s quite bluish tho. How’s the runtime?

For me it was important to have del and pg-up / dn keys since I am using these relatively often. TKL is for me the perfect size in terms of usability and size. I don’t know how expensive my K8 (with Red switches and aluminum frame) was, I think at around 100 euro or so.

Unfortunately it is currently not possible to buy Convoy lights from Aliexpress in Germany (allegedly, some registration number is missing and must first be applied for).

The FC40 90CRI in ‘5000 K’ was really cool (especially the tint and CRI was really good), unfortunately there is still no official datasheet available (and I would only use the FC40 with OP reflector or diffusor).

Thank you. It is just a bit blueish, I quite like that. In the Pictures it looks more blueish.
Runtime…honestly, I don’t know. I charge mine once a month maybe, I use single key momentary backlight when pressed.

Honestly, I have never used pg-up/dn keys, not even once :smile:
I am also thinking about getting a 40% one, with different layout, where keys are in straight columns as well. Just for fun. But it is pricey.
I got my K2 for 100 euro as well, but sadly it is cheaper now, about 70 euro.

Have you seen my Convoy L6 review?
I was impressed by this LED. I agree it works best with OP reflector.

Mine runs about two weeks with 2-3 hours usage with the white backlight on on lowest brightness level 1 (of 4). I think this is also decent for a wireless illuminated mecha.

What I am really missing on the K8 (and the K2 has the same ‘problem’) is a battery level indicator, like a small display or even an LED which gradually changes its color from green over yellow and orange to red, depending on the battery level. Basically I knew about the empty battery only when the red LED for battery empty turns on, which gives me at around 2-3 hours runtime until the keyboard shuts off.

Yes. I hope the L6 has the 12 mode Convoy driver in newest model. (which is great for me in daily use, I don’t like Anduril.)

Exactly! I miss that too, in the K2 it is on the side, so I don’t even look at it, I basically know it needs charging when it stops working :sweat_smile:
Would be great to have it on top somewhere