Review: Sunwayman D40A 4xAA XM-L2 Flashlight

Momentary what?
You mean, push the switch and the light goes on, release the switch and it goes off? No, it doesnt have such function.

EA4 and EA8 do.

Thanks for the review. I wish I could buy from Amazon, but I’m in Europe right now. Where is the best place to buy the D40A from China at an attractive price?

soo cool :expressionless:

I’m currently looking for a solid overall flashlight, and noticed that this was posted in 2013, and was wondering if there was anything better than the Sunwayman D40A that is also a 4xAA? Or if the Sunwayman D40A is still one of the more superior 4xAA then I will just buy it.

If anyone can give me any info I would greatly appreciate it!

Still the best imo.

Ok awesome thank you for the quick reply.

Is $60 still the going rate? That’s what I found on Amazon.

Wow, one post in November for each of the last 3 years. (EDIT: well, until 2 posts ago)

I have to say, Yes, the D40A is still all that and a bag of chips. All the other 4AA lights I have experienced have too narrow beamed. I guess to seem impressive given the lower output capacity. If you want a 4AA light to use in real life, this is the one still. It has a beautiful beam pattern, great mode spacing, and UI. Two things. The stock emitter is has an ugly tint. Plan on putting in a tint of your choice if you really care about the light. Luckily, the emitter is easy to change in this light. Second, the 2 switches on this light are hard to find in the dark if you don't have a good tactile sense. I had this light on my night stand for many years because I could whisper through the house with it at night and then go outside and blast way the dark for things that go bump. It was the switches that eventually made my me shelf the light. I have to admit. I miss the light much and may have to try to bring it back to the night stand now that you brought it up.

EDIT2: Don't know if $60 is a good deal or not. It's a finely crafted light, even by current standards.

Thank you so much for your post, you along with everyone else have made me make the purchase. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn’t a better flashlight in this category out there.

Thanks again!

Illumn has had great prices on Sunwayman during their BF sale. Wait and see if they do it again this year.

Ok thanks, I’ll definitely make sure to check them out before I buy it anywhere else.

What do you guys use as far as rechargeable batteries? I would imagine that that’s the way to go for a Flashlight like this.

Eneloop most likely.
This is a very good light. I will get one if there is a good deal. But if there is no good deal for this old released light, I might go for other alternative like TN4A.

Definitely not worth 60$ if you ask me, mine hasnt been used much because I have other lights and also because:

Switches failed on mine, as in, they do work, but the plastic that covers them is thin and brittle and cracked with little use after a while. I contacted Sunwayman about replacement, they promptly offered to send me replacement for some 10$ or so(shipping costs from China) and agreed to replace them with newer models rubber switches that people say fit D40A as well and are easy to find in the dark contrary to the old design.

Also, one of the springs in battery carrier just popped out and its been hard to solder it back in so I just simply put it back and then put the battery into that slot first and then fill out other slots.

It has nice mode selection and decent user interface, good output and good looks, albeit bit thick to carry in your pocket so use included holster.

Ok thank you so much for that info, I pick up a couple sets of eneloops.

Thanks for your input, what would you recommend?

I’ve had a D40 for a few years now. White is an excellent AA 4 cell flashlight, It’s been a shelf queen for most of it’s life.

What would you recommend as a better option?

If you have to have a 4 cell AA flashlight, I’d look for one without a battery carrier. But that’s just my opinion. If you have no problem with that, then the D40A is a good choice. One other thing to consider, I read that a couple of people experienced cracked switch membranes. I’m not sure how common that is. But since I haven’t used mine much, the switch membrane on mine is still perfect.

While you asked me what my preference is, I prefer single cell 18650 flashlights. They are what I use most. Again, it’s my personal opinion.

Edit: check out this thread on the cracked switch membrane.

Thanks for the info, I’m going to pull the trigger on the D40A, it seems so well rounded and the button cracking doesn’t worry me to much because I can replace it.

Thanks again!

Bought the D40A, should be here on Tuesday. Thanks again for all the help everyone!