Review: SupFire L6

Thanks Tom E, you have done a very good job! For BLF members, I give the price 19.41 USD, if you want Supfire L6-update, please send me the PM

interesting. didnt hear about this light til now. i like the size. should feel better in hand than a c8.
lookin forward to your mod

Great review Tom.

Nice review, Tom, thanks!

That driver looks familiar :-) :

That driver is more than familiar, it's exact! So, your driver has only 3 modes, not 5, and not noticeable PWM's? Interesting...

Strange indeed, this is a very old driver and was around for a short time…

Nice looking light, could you take a pic showing, or atleast estimate the thickness of the LED shelf?

Depending on the amount of material there this looks like it could be the host I’ve been looking for to MT-G2 cause of the reflector. It looks long enough but that brass cap on the tail spring also looks long, do you think two 18350’s would fit?

Great review Tom! Nice job on the pictures too! Thanks for sharing.

Normally I would not nitpick. But since its its you Tom, and I have high expectations, ill nitpick..

"Battery Life: ★★★★★

The battery life I expect to be excellent, considering it is moderately driven"

Seems very generous to give 5/5 just because its moderately driven. Lowest mode is also quite high at 0,24A/75 lumen.

Seems like battery life is pretty average for a mediocre budget UI. Not sure why it gets anything more than 3/5.

No, no prob. Really didn't know what to write there, and was running out of time (Easter morn - had to get to church, actually). To me I consider it driven low overall, so battery life is longer than most. Didn't really think bout the low mode - you are right from that perspective, a good moonlight mode would be 5 stars . Actually this was my first review, and did want to do more. Battery life, PWM's, beam patterns, beamshots, tints, and anodizing finish's are all my weakness's.

Good news!the Supfire has updated the emitter of L6-update to Cree XM-L2, and the price is same, so I will sell the same too

Nice one, an HD2010 contender eh? PM sent to FarFar...

Thanks Tom, be sure and let me know what you think of this one for modifying. ;)

No - not a HD2010 contender at all, but to me it's a good quality C8 that takes a 26650. Also for modding, the interesting part is it appears to fit a copper pill, VOB's, sold here: e2fieldgear_vob_copper_pill. If this pill fits, I would assume the brass C8 pills sold at FastTech would fit as well. Having verified all this - I was able to screw in the copper pill till it fully seated, but not sure of clearances on the top.

Post #2 updated with copper pill details.

Post #2 now updated with full mod details and test results.

Nice mod Tom E.

Tanks! Smile Appreciate it - love your builds!!

Simple, but like how this came out. It does get super hot fast. The L6 just doesn't have the mass and fins for efficient cooling, but think the heat mgt mods I did gets the heat away from the LED quick.

Looks really nice Tom. I like that you’re using Gelid GC extreme TIM, as I use that when refitting gpu and cpu coolers and waterblocks. On OCN it’s also one of the most highly regarded TIMs out there.

I ordered L6 with XP-E emitter here for 13,5$.

Got it yesterday.

Pretty much like the light in OP, but with some differences:

XP-E emitter and suitable "centering board". - Does not matter, Ill change to XM-L2 anyway.

Lower output and simpler looking driver. - Does not matter, Ill change driver anyway.

Logo on flashlight says Supfire L6-XPE. - I would prefer the regular Supfire L6, but id does not really matter.

Different reflector. Plastic. Lower 1/3rd is OP, the top and most of it is SMO. Reflector is also shorter. 31,9mm deep.

Pill is 21mm deep. Does that make it a little bit longer in my light?

Was it worth trying to save a few bucks over the XM-L version? Not sure, Ill have to see how the reflector performs with an XM-L2, but in my case, it may have been. Modding this light is not high on my todo list right now. For the price paid. I think I got a nice mod host. I dont mind plastic reflector, and I prefer to not have it that deep. If it got a larger pill, and an XM-L works nicely with the reflector, then I would be really happy for buying the cheaper XP-E version as a mod host compared to the XM-L.

The main con for me is probably the pill/driver retaining ring. One of them or both might need some modding to fit a decent driver.

Knurling should have been a bit be more aggressive IMO. but I like the overall feel of the light. Mine does not tailstand that well/stable. But overall it seems like a decent mod host.

man making that XM-L2 scream at 6A!

Nice…does it get hot fast?

Yes, pretty hot - expected of course. It's a little more robust than a decent C8 in heat sinking, but not all that much.

RaceR86 - interesting deal on the L6. A shame bout the reflector, but sounds like a standard size short C8 in this one? If so, easily replaceable? The regular L6 has the new long C8 reflector and I haven't found a source to buy those.