Review: Sysmax i4 Intellicharge v2

solid made charger . Been using it for a week now with no issues

i applied some silicone grease with a doller store painting brush :) i am worried the oil may have detergents in it that will wear out or spoil the platic sliding part over time . silicone lubricants seem more friendly for plastic parts.

charges all my nimh to 1.46 volts and 18650s to 4.16 volts every time

I love it !!!

Welcome,

Ha, we can always tell a newbie by the double post!! Laughing

We all did it, just hit that save buttone ONCE!!Wink

The charger is the chit, I tell you that. And for $25 shipped to my door hard to beat. Might be getting another one.. My flashlight/Cell inventory is building..

BTW, you going to find yourself searching for darkness to play in too!...Wink

ahahaha! funny fella aint you

this is the silicone based grease i have been using for o rings and plastic. seems to do fine ! i use it on brake calipers .says it rubber safe so decided to make it my flashlight grease

Going to jump on this... ;)

So this charger is a definite GO then? Solid recommendation with no reservations?

I was going to get a new NiMH charger as well as a new Li-Ion charger (giving mine away) but if they've worked out the kinks with this one then maybe this will meet both needs.

750mA is fine for eneloop AAA, but to fast for 10440

Slow is safe and good for batteries :)

Not necessarily. Even manufacturers recommend way higher charging rates for 18650 Li-Ion’s than 750mA, e.g. Sanyo recommends 1.75A charging current for their 2600mAh 18650.

750mA may not be too slow (esp. if cells aren't completely empty before charging), but 350mA (= current when charging 4 cells at once) definitively is.

Not, sure if this matters but it does 750 ma half the time, not a constant current of 350 ma.

750 ma is ok for me... there's no such thing as best. engineers refer to their own designs

.Chemistry, performance, cost, and safety characteristics vary across different batteries which means they all recommend their own charging rates and rules and what not.

In the past, lithium-ion batteries could not be fast-charged . Current-generation cells can be fully charged in 45 minutes or less so in that sense the nitecore v2 charger is a slow charger . these are my layman's theory :) but i am an automotive engineer by trade so do know a thing or two about batteries and they said ions move from the negative electrode to the positive electrode during discharge, and back when charging so id rather have the ions move at a reasonable speed in a civilized way and settling down rather then running!! lolzzz

urk, I just found this elsewhere — can anyone confirm if this is why it’s “slow”?

“… the Sysmax Intellicharge i4 … It’s trash on the U.S. 120v. ”

IIRC, that’s V1. They have rectified the problem with V2.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Ok, heres quick re-post from Kreislers deal thread regarding first impressions and performance of this charger:

+no problems with rails sticking or eating into plastic, they are smooth
+thus, no problems inserting/removing batteries without too much of worries to destroy the whole charging setup while during so
+like the bright led lights
+charged my fake Eneloops and Turnigy LSD’s just fine, didnt test their voltages with DMM tho

+/-charged my AA’s, be it fake Enepoops from DinoDirect or Turnigy from HobbyKing, they came very hot off charger, is this normal?
Voltages ranged from 1.44 to 1.48v when fully charged and pulled right out of the charger.

Dont remember original Eneloops being so hot, will re-run test charging on them.

+/- it has some rubber smell to it, not as terrible as plastic smell on my MAHA C9000 tho, but still its there, hope it will wear off with time

-the power cord doesnt seem to be too reliable and sturdy, frequent use of plugging it in and out of the charger and also bending it and wrapping it, might cause premature failure of said cable
-plastic feels cheap on the front panel where the LED’s are located, its thin and bents with not much force applied, it might be less prone to cracks tho, but it flexes easily

Overall nice charger given that it comes from reputable company.

I hope Sysmax releases something like upgraded i4 version with discharge/cycling/capacity testing function AND LiFePo support, all in one compact package.

See one of my previous posts about DD having similar charger to i4 but with LiFePo support.

I wonder how much would it add to production cost/reliability to add LCD and disch/cycle/capacity test features?

That would be best charer out there if sold under 40$ IMO for the money.
Except for the warranty, it could put C9000 to a shame and have it run for its money !

keeps on dreaming