Review : Thorfire BL30 bike light !!!

Hello. Thorfire continues to put out great, quality, products in my opinion. This bike light, the BL30 is no exception. Oozes quality. (2) XM-L2 Cree emitters, 1400 lumens on turbo. L M H Turbo, and double click for a blinding strobe. Includes a remote switch which is very nice, and an 8800 mAh battery pack with charger. Comes in a nice box and was well protected in transit. Comes with several European adapters to make sure, and a couple of different size bands to mount the light to your handlebars Really happy with this light. MUCH nicer, and less expensive than my last one. THANK YOU Thorfire! $36 at Amazon.

port on the left is for the remote cable

the switch on this remote is fantastic. Nice click action.

not a great picture but this battery pack in nice, with long cable and nice straps

Nice review, thank’s for doing it. :+1:

Nicely done, I’m waiting for my light to arrive.

Waiting to see the insides of the light… Shelf, pill, floating star? PWM in medium and low outputs??

mine did not have a gasket behind the front silver plate, it was not waterproof.
can you take yours apart and see?
curious
i reviewed it today for here and amazon
wle

Yeah, did you check waterproofness of the lamp and battery pack?
If there’s a chance of getting caught riding in the rain and having the light fail, you’d want to carry a plastic bag.
Of course if there’s any overheat problem in still air, you don’t want to plastic-bag the light and block the airflow.
So there’s a tricky interaction between cooling and water-tightness.

Cross-reference: The other review: Thorfire BL-30 Bike Light Review

I believe these are both free sample lights sent by Thorfire to people who promise to do reviews.
If so that should be stated explicitly up front in the review — this is to protect Thorfire or their distributor, as both the FTC and Amazon have tightened the rules on compensation. No sense attracting needless scrutiny by failing to put that info up front.

Those cheap battery packs are almost never waterproof, because they use cardboard end-plates.
These are not waterproof. Which s*cks, but they never are.

The light gets hot, the battery really does not.
So you can put it in a bag.
Which I recommend.

wle

hello
does the battery pack have a protection/equalization board ?
could you test it ?

i can’t, because i don;t want to cut the vinyl shrinkwrap around all 4 batteries

plus i’m not an expert in those things

i have seen the inside of older battery packs though
there is a circuit board that the wires come into

i am pretty sure there is no equalization, because the cells are in series parallel, and only 2 wires go to the cells
(or maybe there are 4, which could equalize 2 cells at once, but not all 4)

there may be an overtemperature cutoff

there is definitely an ‘overdischarge’ cutoff, on that board, at some point the light just shuts off and if you measure battery output it appears to be zero volts [but it really isn;t]
not sure who decides ‘completely charged’ - i think that has to be the charger, when the current drops to X mA

wle