[review] Thorfire S70 (31 pics + 4 unboxing pics from bella-headlight, thanks!)

Thanks for the review. I’m happy. :slight_smile:

Just waiting for the S70 to get back in stock… :heart_eyes:

ok,I did not notice any measurements in your review. How did you see it? Google earth and an associate like I have?!

Yes it is 820 meters to the castle de La Rochefoucauld and we can see towers.
Looking through a monocular pointed at the central tower at 820 I do not see it in the dark until I turn on the S70 and there it is.

Success :slight_smile:
The Miller you can now change the thread title back :wink:

Yes, title changed, thanks for the cool addition of pics!

I tried the torch with some Efest 3100 mah IMR 18650”s last night as my 26650”s haven”t arrived yet (slow boat from China & I am still waiting for Ecolux to get Keeppower 5200 mah unprotected IMR”s back in stock)
Didn”t get any beamshots as it was drizzling with rain & my phone camera was struggling in the conditions.
What I can say is that compared to a 2900 lm TK75 it is definitely brighter to my eyes.
My friend struggled to believe that the S70 had only cost me £35 where his TK 75 had cost him £150 & wasn”t as bright :slight_smile:
This torch is a steal at the price IMHO :wink:

Since this thread is getting plenty of attention could those that can please post current reading with different cells. Should the black hole of the Chicago USPS sorting hub ever cough mine up I’ll post the same. Looking to see what this one can really crank out with out using a soldering iron. 3000+ lumen at this price THIS IS MADNESS!

From PD68s review
A single click cycles through the 4 mode levels: 0.21amps > 1.09amps > 2.15amps > 5.5amps (measured with UT210e).
I will try it but could not measure it with the S50 (still learning)

It’s also worth noting that (at least on high mode) the current draw at the tail may change based on battery voltage and be different from emitter current because the S70 appears to use a buck driver.

Merged the S50 and S70 review into 1 blogpost on the Dutch techsite
click
It is in Dutch, but it is cool to see the beamshots of the two close to each other.

Exactly, right on the mark.
When I measured yesterday tailcap reading was 5.2 amps where as the day before it was only 4.52.
Difference was the higher amp reading was after I had used the light and the voltage on batts was down to 4.10.
Today I got 2 Basen IMR 26650 60 amp batts and they get a reading of 4.26 fresh off the charger, all readings using clamp meter.

So the buck driver just pulls what it needs to keep output the same.

So far the King Kong’s have given best output.
Also tried a set of MNKE and they fall in between the Basen and the King Kong’s.

Love this S70 flashlight, do not need to mod it at all.

HTH
Keith

Hmm internal cut threads inside the S70 head? My inquiring mind needs to know…why? Much easier to solder now?

How did you spot this?
I totally missed it will try it now

auch, no matter how hard I tried, no movement.
This means howevr, Thorfire can do a lot more with this light.
Make it a zoomer, smaller or bigger reflector, interesting

Looking for weakness in the design, and I found it. I planned on putting a FETDDMtn driver in it but now I’ll just put it back to stock. There was also a machining tip dead center of the swiss cheese emitter shelf that was heavily coated with thermal paste that the mcpcb board was sitting on, when i pulled the board there were only spots of thermal grease on the back of it while the whole shelf was covered? The head was glued pretty heavily, it took a heat gun to soften it up enough for me to use a strap wrench to break it loose. Oh well live and learn! :slight_smile: