Review: TrustFire Z1 XML-T6 "1600 Lumen" Zoomable (a.k.a. Z5)

I’m going to try to convert this light to a solid pill. The upper section of the head is 13/16 wide, and I found a nice 12 inch piece of copper round on Amazon with the right width. I’m going to try and cut it down and then thermal epoxy it in to the head. I’m planning on switching out the driver to a different model that might give me slightly more room to fill w/ copper. Worst case scenario, a coin-thick piece of 13/16” copper round will certainly give better heat performance since the LED is practically hanging over open air.

The driver I found is 14mm tall, which would leave approximately 5-6mm of air above it to the top of the head/pill. I could also “extend” the head/pill with a few more mm’s of copper at the full width of the pill, retaining full zooming functionality while increasing heatsink space. Decisions, decisions…

How remove LED driver from flashlight ? Unscrew or how ?

First, Remove the LED emitter. Then, try and remove some of the solder on the bottom holding the driver in place. Then use a small ball pin hammer and gently tap out the driver.

excellent review!