Review: TrustFire Z8 - XM-L Flood-to-Throw

must… resist…

This is a must have light!!! It is that nice…….

I’m a sucker for good machining, optics, square threads and stainless steel bezels so I ordered this soon after reading the first part of your review (great pictures btw). I was worried I might regret it but am really pleased with part 2 as well :slight_smile:

The stainless bezel looks like while it does shorten the spill a bit on flood mode it also serves a useful purpose for beam characteristics in flood and throw mode too, giving a soft hotspot in full flood and a soft corona in full throw. Very nice.

On T-Mart’s website it claims mode memory, can you confirm if it has mode memory and if so what type? (e.g. saved if on for 1/2/3 second/s or off for 1/2/3 second/s)

I think I might order this so i can just tie it to a stick and use underwater when fishing (wanna tie it to a stick so i can submerge it to prevent the dreaded glare). It would probably be better than me trying to use my king as a light when fishing… the glare would destroy everyone’s night vision :frowning:

EDIT: Johnnymac where did you buy yours from?

I got mine from Tmart for $17. The link is in the “my specifications” section near the top.

I knew I was forgetting something but I was too tired to remember when I was finishing the review. I will update the review shortly but it does apparently have memory but only if off for a few minutes. One of the things I wish they would correct. Thanks for reminding me. :slight_smile:

Awesome review Johnny! Mine hit the NJ post office on Friday, should be in Chicago Monday or Tuesday. Besides the gorgeous looks of this little beauty, the beam shots look great and avoid the annoying rings on all my other zoomies. Just out of curiosity, when you test AA's, did you try eneloops and Energizer Lithium as well?

@Slewflash: You might contact Tmart and see if they can ship from their China (or HK?) location, as I think U.S. shipping would be cost prohibitive.

I did not test with energizer lithiums or eneloops since I have neither. I am confident it’s 14500 only and would be pleasantly surprised to find otherwise.

No problem, JohnnyMac, I have both and will try them out on mine when it arrives.

Wonderful review. The only reason I have been able to resist is that it doesn’t take AAs and I don’t have any 14500s.

As nice as this looks, I don’t think I’ll be able to hold out that long.

The submerged picture had me at hello. :wink:

Those beam patterns don’t hurt anything either.

do you have some longer distance beamshots? :slight_smile:

Right now I don’t. I live in the city and finding a place convenient to take a decent beam shot outdoors is rough. I have a tree line 100yds across the street and a tall apartment building 168m away from the front porch but the street lights create so much light pollution that decent pics are impossible.

It does light up the tree line (100yds) pretty well and you can just see the light against the apartments but the ambient light makes it that much hard to see well.

You need to turn those suckers off with your HD 2010!

Lol…I can only seem to get the one from my porch. :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure to update us with the results. :)

Fantastic news about the beam shots! I love the artifact-free beam profile when focused. That’s what I’ve desperately been looking for. The Sk68 is way too distracting.

This will be ordered before the end of the day. If Tmart handles shipping as usual then I should have it by the end of the week.

Thanks JohnnyMac!

Yeah, man, Trustfire is the one to figure out how to do it properly. Hopefully we will see more of this design. 8)

I just picked up THIS aluminum 18650 clone off Manafont.

I doubt it will be as well made, but I thought I’d take the chance.

I found some supposed beamshots on eBay of the 14500 version, and they look pretty similar to the Z8.

Will post a review when I get it. Fingers crossed.

PS: Also ordered a GITD tailcap to replace that horrid pink whatever-it-is.

GREAT review. I have had one of these for about a month and it has become one of my fave lights. I don’t have any figures, but it seems to last an amazing amount of time on high one with one 14500, much more so than a sipik 68. I use the thing practically every night and it’s still going strong.

My plastic lense was loose on arrival. Couldn’t get the original clearish o-ring to work so used a regular black one with great success.

It is a heavy little sucker because of the SS. I sometimes use a lanyard to hold my little lights; this one is a little heavy for that.

I really luv my Sipik sk68, but reading all of this the Z8 is really worth as upgrade i think. Do you have any other zoomlights and do you consider this the best one?