Review: Turnigy Accucell 6 Hobby Charger

Would any of the leads on this page modify to do balance charging? I assume that you only need the correct plug end with the wires attached to plug into the balance port of the charger and the other ends of the wires modified to suit whatever battery holder, magnets etc that is being used in the charger set up

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__462__408__Battery_Chargers_Acc_-Balance_Leads.html

Yep they will work, but make sure cable type is JST-XH and it has male plug (to plug into charger). Cut off the female port and wire it up to your 18650 holders / magnets.

Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking - for 6 cells

Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking - for 3 cells

etc.

I couldn't remember what they were called.

JST-XH male connectors are what you are looking for. As Shadowww has already said.

Hobbyking didn't have them the last time I looked - better bet than random eBay vendors.

Hobbyking are good guys.

Recommended.

True, but their shipping rates sometimes are insane. :[

Thanks guys. It is all slowly making sense.

I buy the JST-XH extention balance leads from ebay as hobby king is normaly sold out, the magnets i get from ebay., the rest is a mix of ebay and hobby king and i normaly have most stuff like heat shrink for my rc and car hobby.

There is a list of stuff i use here on post number #43 and there is a very quick run down on how to make them on post #88

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3118

On this thread there is some nimh (AAA, AA, D and C) battery holders i use for charging with my hobby charger, there is some of my picturers on the first page but the info and links start on post #74

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/1621

This is a link to hobby charger assesories that didnt go far

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/4411#comment-108825

This is a link to charging 26650 batteries, but you can use the same setup as my balance charging thread to charge any size li-xx type batteries

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/7455#comment-150151

Shadowww the 6s extention leads you have posted are way to short they would need to be extented or by the 45cm jst-xh extention leads to start with.

Any balance set up over 2s needs more then 20cm of lead 3s needs around 30cm, but you can cut them, joint, them solder them together cover the joins in heat shrink and so on or just buy longer balance leads to start with.

Hi guys,

I calibrated my Accucell using a 18650 and a DMM but it still does not charge the li-ion to 4.2V. It only charges to about 4.13V.

Any input please?

Thanks!

Look at this charge curve:

At the yellow line I turn the charger current off, because the battery is full. Immediately the voltage drops and will drop some more over the next few hours (Curve only show one hour). How much the voltage (red line) drops depends on a lot of factors (Like battery chemistry, termination current, battery age).

Thanks very much HKJ! So it seems that it is normal. Im just worried as im using the cells in parallel and i want them as matched as possible

I put all the cells that were charged to 4.15V into a Trustfire TR003P4 charger and this charged them up to 4.2V, as measured by my DMM so I think it might be a fault with the Accucell.

Any ideas?

It is a fault with the TrustFire, it does not follow the recommended charging algorithm, but forces the battery to 4.2 volt.

OH! Thanks again HKJ!

So you would rather let the batts terminate as per the Accucell than the Trustfire?

Yes. If you measure the voltage while charging, you will see a voltage above 4.2 volt for the last part of the charge.

I still find it strange that it drops so quickly to 4.15V, straight out of the charger though. Is that due to the way its charged as opposed to the Trustfire's charging algorithm?

The algorithm has a lot to do with it and also the termination current.

I did some test with different terminations currents, I hope to expand on this test at a later date.

I got the temperature probe today for this charger and it seems to work fine. I edited my review to include mention of it. Pretty neat feature. Recommended.

Anyone wire this up to a USB port for logging the data it generates?

I’ve just this minute gotten my charger setup and working :slight_smile:

I’m starting small and trying to charge a single 900mAh 14500.

I think I’m heading in the right direction, the charger and I both agree 1S with a termination voltage of 4.2v but I’m feeling a little cautious regarding charge current. What would you guys say is a safe current to charge at? I’m guessing that 1C would be safe but went with 600mA on the basis that slow is better than dangerous.

What I’d like to do is run the conditioning program and verify the actual capacity of the cell. Would I be right in thinking that I need to run the cycle and that the capacity is the number in the bottom right of the display once the charge is complete?

If anybody could give me some pointers I’d really appreciate it. I’m guessing it’s all fairly simple but having read horror stories I don’t want to be that bloke that burns his house down.

Congratulations! I usually use 1C or a little less because a 900mAh cell is usually more like 700. I think it cuts off when it goes below 100mA regardless (rather than 90 or 70 which would be 0.1C; I just don’t think it has the precision to go that low). If you enter 900mAh the voltage gets up to 4.2V (or 4.1V if you are on LiIo) pretty quickly and the current starts dropping. That is exactly what should happen.

Once you get it charged, you can do a discharge at whatever current you choose (up to 1A) and it will run it down to 3V, which sounds really low, but that’s 3V under load and the battery generally pops back up to 3.6V at rest. It reads out mAh, I think at the lower right.

If you won’t use the battery for a while, you can put a storage charge into it where the charger will either discharge or charge to a medium charge that is better for storing the cell.

I just set it up, and it’s working!

- I used this TTL RS-232 to USB cable which I got from EBay.

- Just wire up the black and white wires as shown here.
Note: I already own several Prolific PL2303 based serial to USB devices, so drivers were not needed for me. I have heard of issues with installing them, especially with clone converter chips. This particular one appears to be genuine and was automatically detected and installed. You can get the official Prolific drivers here

- Once you install the drivers, hook up the USB to your PC and it should install (fingers crossed).

• Then get LogView from here
    Installation and operation were simple. Still working out some minor issues with LogView, particularly some labels that remain in German after selecting English, but it’s fairly easy to figure out what is what.

Edit: In LogView, Select IMax B6 as the logger. The Accucel 6 logs data identical to it.

Happy Logging!