Review: Turnigy Accucell 6 Hobby Charger

I have a couple of CP2012 converters on the way, but I scored a couple of those cables as well. Thanks for the tip!

Lol the review… I wonder what did you buy and where.
Why do you guys pay $30 for it on hobbyking?
Price is $23 + you can get buddy codes to reduce it. Maybe because of US warehouse?

Pros:

• Charges/Discharges just about anything (Lion, Lipo, LiFe, NiCd, NiMH, Pb)
  • Alarm when finished
  • Bright display
  • Configurable - Limits for maximum charge time, maximum capacity charge and discharge
  • Optional temperature probe - Temp. probe cutoff if temperature is too high
  • Lixx Internal resistance meter - only some of them, I was lucky to get it
  • Calculates capacity while charging and discharging
  • Up to 6 cells at once, Li 1-6S, balanced

Cons:

• Complicated - easier than using your mobile phone :stuck_out_tongue:
  • No battery holders - ? it’s a balance charger not a battery holder…
  • No temperature probe included - true, takes few minutes to make and buy the LM35 off ebay.
  • Must buy power supply separately - pretty normal with all electronics, these chargers especially
  • Still not that quick - 50W, up to 6A, what do you expect? 50A charging?
  • Maximum discharge rate is only 1A - false, it’s 5A on older version, on newer it’s 6A
  • I don’t think it has data out for making battery discharge curves - it does not, the expensive iCharger 106B etc. are the ones that have it, but also will cost you $100+

I have the Turnigy Accucel 6 and can confirm that it will only discharge at max 1A.
The one I have does do Data out. See my (#77 )post above.

I don't know which one you have, but mine only discharges up to 1 amp...

Quite the trollish post, JackCY. I paid $23 as well, but Hobby King’s shipping was $10 plus the cost of buying a power supply and it ends up costing what I mentioned. I’m pretty sure all the pro’s and con’s are valid (maybe not the datalogging, which it seems to do, so that has been moved to pro), especially for someone who is used to buying a regular charger that plugs into the wall, it holds the batteries, and just starts charging.

I love that this thing might be able to log data. I’ve ordered the connector from eBay. Thanks, relic!

Damn, I thought it’s charge 1A, sorry :frowning:
Yes it’s 6A charge, 1A discharge.

I can dig out the temp. probe schematic if somebody wants it.

Yes power supply costs some $ if you don’t have it already. I built mine from an old ATX, now I have 3.3V/28A, 5V/30A, 12V/16A, 1.25V-10.90V/2A power source.
Only used parts that I already had. Biggest cost is an DC/DC isolated converter to power the meters that show volts and amps for the adjustable output.

For charging 18650s it’s an overkill charger. Have it for Lipo packs.

Thanks for the data logging, I will check it out, I’ve searched for it before and couldn’t find it anywhere. Like on rcgroups.com etc.

Yeah sorry for troll post _ kind of sleepy at this hour.

As was posted above, directions for hooking it up to a computer are here.

No problem. Everybody probably stayed up late last night. :beer:

^the Lixx internal resistance version

Bought at the end of August 2012. As far as I know it was just a short period when they were shipping this version, not many of them is out there.
Now they probably sell the usual version again.

This one can’t be recalibrated and doesn’t show the option for data output.
Temp. probe works fine, calibration seems ok and it meters the internal resistance of up to 6S battery packs. Will show internal resistance of each cell and after clicking a button of the whole pack as well.

funny imo tear-down of

Interesting. Any idea if it was just a firmware change or is the hardware different as well?

-Pete

could you take a pic of your mod? I have one of those chargers and like it pretty well.

I’m in the market for the Accucel-6 just have several questions before I take the plunge:

1. How accurate is the voltage reading on the LCD display after calibration?When compare to a Fluke DMM?

2. Is the accuracy also reflected on each Lipo cell during Balance charging? Or its only accurate on the overall/total voltages?

I would like to charge it up to 4.2Volts/cell right now I have the GT Power it only charges up to 4.15V/cell. I know its a small difference but I would like to get the maximum power output of my Lipo cell.

BTW the Accucell 6 Hobbyking is selling now its still can be calibrated right? (I hope)

I’ve never calibrated mine. Some people have said the voltage under load isn’t quite right, but it seems to terminate correctly. If you want Fluke quality, you will have to pay a lot more than the price of this unit. It has a 4.1V setting for Li-Ion and 4.2V for LiPo. For li-ion batteries, they seem to settle down to 4.13V after charging anyway.

It doesn’t have to be fluke accurate but at least within .01-.02 Volts of a regular DMM would be great.

Can you configure the termination voltage ?
Is it possible to use it to charge 4.3 cells ?

If not what hobby charger can do it? IMAX ? ICharger ?

The choices are LiIo which is 4.1V or LiPo which is 4.2V. I’m not aware of a way to charge to 4.3V on this one.

The iCharger can be charge to 4.30V if desired.

Hi,

I’ve been looking into connecting my Accucel 6 via USB, and got a cable from Ebay. However, when I tried it, I couldn’t get anything to appear in Logview.

Did some more research, and it appears that the Accucel that I have would need to get the PCB modified, and even then I’m not sure if the firmware supports the USB output (I don’t see a USB Enable prompt in mine). I found a thread on rcgroups.com that discusses the jumpering, etc., and here’s what I posted, but no one has responded yet.

So I think that this is probably a no-go…

Jim