Review: Ultra Fire UF-980L

Which light are you talking about? 4.9A?? What cell are you using?

For reasons others here know more about than I, the UF-980L is driven a bit harder than standard Ultrafire XM-Ls.

That said, pound for pound, the difference in brightness (when compared on good, fresh batteries) isn't that much.

I have both lights (a number of Ultrafires, actually) and put together in the dark, the 980 will shine noticeably brighter, but the standard UF seems to throw more compactly and is tinted differently than the 980. The 980 beam is fatter and (to me) a tad bluer. There wouldn't be too, too much of a difference, but some.

The UF-980, of course. This thing heats up quick, too. I'm using an Ultrafire 3000 mAh Protected

Oh, was hoping you were talking TB-D7...

I wish I was saying that, too! I'm told they may have arrived and will be shipped to me within one week. If that is so, it shouldn't be too long until I can compare them.

Getting something so powerful for so cheap...just the thought makes me giddy!

Thanks Rusty. I was contemplating on getting one of those flashlights. Currently, the UF-980L costs quite a bit more than the standard UF. If the brightness is not that much different and the standard UF has a more compact throw (which is what I am looking for), then I am probably going for the standard UF for now...

uf-980l is my benchmark..amazing light..when I saw my sunwayman v60c drowned it out I was shocked!! still it resides on my work belt..great light

It seems I'm not the only one pulling near 5 amps from his 980L. It is probably no coincidence that the only single emitter lights in my modest collection that can hang with the 980L were both modified by E1320. And, my lame Sky Ray triple is only about 25% brighter, according to my light meter.

Foy

Wow. That kinda sucks in a way. It means I'm only 25% away from being at the top of the budget light game! Nothing else to buy and stand in awe over now! lol

You're gonna kill your emitter-I did when I tried an IMR. Just another warning for new readers.

I don't like rings-I modded one of my 980's with a neutral and did a Krylon spray job on the reflector, just enough to get rid of ringiness in the beam without screwing up throw.

Rich

Do you know how many times I've heard that? Please. The 980L is direct drive on high so, an IMR is the wrong battery.

When I bought this light 9 months ago (or whenever it was) a couple of guys got their panties in a wad, telling me I would "absolutely" "fry my emitter." I use this light nearly every day, I never use low or medium, only high and I'm still waiting for my emitter to die.

And as I demonstrated above, I left it turned on high until it was so hot, I couldn't pick it up - did this several times . . . not even a flicker. Has been the most dead reliable flashlight I've ever had.

Is 4+ amps stupid high? Yes. With a little common sense however, new users have nothing to fear with the 980L.

imr-regulation=toastFoy

Aww.. I was bustin' on ya a little! And figured that new readers needed the warning just in case.

Rich

Sorry man . . . now that I read what I wrote, comes across worse than intended. And, I just remembered that E1320 did fry his 980L. He told me the 980L has the same driver as the popular 3-mode UF XM-L.

/rudeFoy

Like we used to say in Jersey: Don' worry 'boutit! You're one of my favs here so I'd never say anything to offend!

'sides, I'm probably as crazy about Solarforce as you are... got a lot.

Rich

Thanks, man. This board never ceases to amaze me. Something like this would have exploded into mass stupidity on other forums. This board give me hope for humanity . . .

thankuuuuuthankyouverymuchFoy

Hey Foy,

awesome review! Just wanted to let you know that you convinced me to buy this flashlight. I've got a lot of respect for lights with more than one 18650 cell, so I found this thread and I just love how excited you are about that light, I really got carried away!

So.. yeah, thank you. :D

I bought the Flamed TrustFire 2400mAh, hoping the wont burn too much current into the LED. :>

Flames will be awesome with the 980L. Let us know how you like it when it arrives . . .

Foy

Hey,

received it today and put in a freshly charged trustfire flame. Drawing 3A @ high, thats fine.

It's a decent light but honestly, I expected more. I mean, it really is bright.. but it's not much brighter than this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7W-CREE-Q5-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Zoomable-320-Lumens-dy-/220926689158

on an 18650, it pulls 1.5A, doesnt get quite as warm and it's a zoom. But the LED is more bluish..

Summary: I am satisfied, but not "flashed" away.

3 amps?

Mine draws almost 5 . . . although anything over 3.5 gives diminishing returns. Interesting that you're only getting 3 amps . . .

hmmmFoy

I bought the flamed Trustfires because they dont deliver that much amps. There a lot of IMR cells, but from what I read here, 5 amps would kill the emitter sooner or later.

I went outside with the two lamps for a while and it does deliver remarkably more light. Its just not only a spot, theres also some spill, which I sometimes find nice and sometimes not so nice.. :D

Today this light makes me more happy than yesterday, still I'm waiting to be purely amazed. But I'm afraid that wont happen with a single-cell flashlight..

Maybe my voltmeter just sucks?

Nice thing about manafont is their "gift"-labeled shipping, saving me customs duty.

That light kinda is my EDC now, tehe. :>

/edit: btw, Foy, is there another 1*18650 light I've got to have? :D