Review: Ultrafire C8 XM-L U2 (Warning - Very Picture Heavy)

Sorry likeaboss. I did not see your request until now. At least now Tom can confirm that it works in the Lightmalls version. I just ordered three myself. Hopefully it will work in our others as well.

What do you think of this from Lightmalls? I am planning to buy this U3 version C8, looks just as nice.

My thinking is it's the C8 U2, only with a U3 emitter - if so, excellent host/reflector combo, aluminum pill but with brass ring so easy to upgrade the driver. The Keygos KE5 though is a worthy contender, though it's stock with a T6. The C8 U2 has been awesome, even stock, better mod'ed of course .

Yeah, the reason I am interested with it is mainly due to the U3 emitter. I think this light is direct-driven at High mode.

Been lurking here for way too long, and am pining for a solid 18650 torch for around $20, and am just about sold on this C8 thanks to chriszhou’s review (though I am aware of intl-outdoor’s offering)… Then again, the C12 he reviewed is sweet as well…

Anyway, before taking the plunge I wonder if there are any comparable lights that accept 3xAAA cells as well as 1x18650, as I like the idea of being able to stash cheap backup batteries in my backpack if/when I ever spend enough time camping by a lake somewhere without access to a power source to recharge the Li-Ions…

Hello I just joined, but was looking around on here and ordered this u2 version from lightmalls a week or so ago. Anybody know how much wiggle room is there when it comes to the battery, will the fatter protected ones fit?

-Glenn

edit: I only ask because I found a review on fast tech saying they’re a little fatter.

review

I ’ve been through lightmall.com and I can’t find the Ulatrafire c8 in either U2 or L3 emitters could you point help point them out for me thanks

Surprised you had troubles, excluding typos. Just searched on "C8 U2" and "C8 U3", and they came up:

http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-c8-cree-xm-l-u2-1300-lumen-5-modes-led-flashlight-1x18650

http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-c8-cree-xm-l-u3-1800-lumen-5-modes-led-flashlight-1-x-18650

Thanks Tom I’ll be ordering two this week I promised a couple of threads ago I would work on typos ,just super hard to edit on a galaxy lll only 5/8” screen and even smaller when editing then the cursor is even smaller!

No Problem!

Please forgive me if I sound naive about asking this question as a lot of this terminology is new to me but I see alot talk of upgrading. Or modifying of the C8’s do you all send them somewhere to have this done or is there a link that shows how to do it? This really sounds like something I would eventually like to do.

A lot of us here modify (mod) the lights ourselves, but probably most do not, but do some sort of maintenance or adjustments, etc. themselves. For those who want mods done but may be beyond their capability (tools, etc.), then the modders will help them out usually, sometimes for a fee, sometimes not, or for trade... There are several good threads showing examples but probably not every single detail. Certainly it requires some tools and supplies, soldering iron, thermal grease/epoxy, wires, variety of tools/holders/magnifiers, etc.... I've seen some guys come over from other hobbies that had common tools, such as model railroading, RC modders, etc. Some are more advanced with the electronics, some are more advanced with the metal work. C8's are relatively easy to work with because of the size and interchangable parts to an extent, and you can get them pretty cheap, usually for $20 or under. A lot depends on bang for the bucks, so if you can buy $5 in parts and increase the brightness and improve or setup the modes the way you want, it's worth it. All depends on would you want out of the mod - better looking tint, better mode selection, more brightness or more runtime, or all of the above .

I didn’t realize that it went that deep in modifying but for the prices I don’t think you can go wrong I just had a few friends that spent over 300 $ a 200 lumen name brand tactical light at a local sporting goods.store I spent over 180 $ for a now outdated rechargeable incandescent light that ate up the bulb and at 10 $ a bulb I think modifying these lights for price point. Is a win/win lets see how long it takes for my two C8 L3’s to come before they performance upgrade bug sets its fangs on me thanks for the brief explanation!

Well I finally tried ordering the C8 LU3 my physical address according to light malls and PayPal is invalid and us postal service doesn’t deliver and po box doesn’t work anyone else I can go through and pay visa or debit I’ve been trying since yesterday I really want to order this light thanks

My LightMalls C8 is heavily modded - U3 1C emitter, SS bezel, UCL lens (double side AR coated), extra copper in the pill, using a KD V2 driver @3.8A. Throw is 38 kcd, lumens is 1013 @start, 982 @30 seconds. Plan on a next round of mods: brass pill, w/SinkPAD star, 3.85A Nanjg w/custom driver, maybe U3 1C or maybe XM-L2 U2 1C.

Is any aware of good quality 18650 batteries on sale right now to power these little beasts?

That is monstrous! Where did you buy the double side AR coated lens?

flashlightlens.com - think they are the only ones that sell the UCL branded name. Oh, by the way I did do the XM-L2 U2 1C in a SinkPAD mod on this light - results are higher, posted here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/15778. I'l be adding a post today, showing even higher results on an IMR battery - lower resistance, higher amps, higher lumens.

Can you please show where to buy the XM-L2? I have seen some discussion on this LED but until now I still cannot find any buying source.

XM-L2 U2's have completely dissapeared - Mouser and IlluminationSupply had them when I bought mine, but I got them from IS - shipping is quicker and maybe a little cheaper. I emailed Craig from IS when he was expecting to get more in, but I'm not hopeful he'll know. I got just 2 left but have several more lights to mod, so I'm short myself.