Review: UltraFire HD2010

I just received a gray Trustfire HD2010 from TMart priced at 27 euros.

The light is in good condition - no noticeable dings or scratches. I quickly dropped in a freshly charged Soshine protected 26650 “5500mha” and turned it on with no issue. The led looks like a XML2. No brand name or model ref written on it. No lanyard either.

However, i did a quick tail cap current test and could not get more then 2.3A - pressing hard on both the battery and tube. Quite far from the 5A some got three years ago… Note that i’m not an expect at testing tail cap currents with my cheap DMM and weak probes…

I haven’t looked at it in details, but i find the reflector a bit odd. Usually, when i look straight at a light reflector, closing one eye, i only see yellow reflected all over. With this light, i see an irregular yellow blob in the center - not covering the whole circle… And even loaded with a fat protected 26650, some stuff rattles inside when i handle the light. I even suspect the front lens is not tightly fixed in place… Gotta do some work on it!

Still a nice light for the price - and certainly a great host for modding.

Any suggestion for a driver swap with a supplier outside the US (i’m in Europe)? A 3.5 - 4A one with no disco modes would be nice… 0:)

They are very cheap lights and you may well go through 6 of them like I did. Terrible quality, unless modded. You'd have to mod it to do any real retinal "damage." lol Why not mod with an XP-L HI on Noctigon and see what kind of results you get?

@Rusty Joe: thanks for the idea, it should yield some more lumen indeed. However, this light seems under driven and i’d love to push a bit the emitters. As far as i understand, the ‘original’ version had direct drive on hi and then regulated on mid and low. I wish to find a similar driver that would fit this host.

Heat dissipation?

I bought mine years ago from TMART, and only recently popped in a LG HE4 to see how it performs. I never really assessed it in the past with anything other than a Trustfire 26650. The tailcap reading I measured with the HE4 was 6.3A using a 10AWG cable and a DC Amps Clamp Meter. Mines clearly one of the good ones that was available for a time. I’ve not modded my torch.