Review w/pics: ReyLight's Golden Rey of Sunshine

Nice review Dale. Interesting little light.

THANK YOU for the time you spent showing us this. :+1: Hope you feel better. TL

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
It’s kind of a bear getting all the pics uploaded and keeping them sorted while posting the review. I got a little mixed up in the output numbers but the “fambly” was quick to point out my dyslexia and we got it taken care of. lol

Doing ok Dan, thanks. The cooler weather always takes a toll on me, this 97º stuff is chilly! Brrrrr! Gotta dig out some jackets… :wink:

The smell is a chemical reaction with your skin. Think of it as the smell of germs dying. Know that any germs on your brass light will be dead in 3-6 hours. Copper is even faster, and will also make your hands smell.

Antimicrobial properties of copper
“copper alloy surfaces kill E. coli O157:H7.[24][25] Over 99.9% of E. coli microbes are killed after just 1–2 hours on copper. On stainless steel surfaces, the microbes can survive for weeks.”

Oligodynamic effect
“Brass vessels release a small amount of copper ions into stored water, thus killing fecal bacterial counts as high as 1 million bacteria per milliliter.

I find that copper usually needs a regular rub-down to keep the patina looking nice, to brighten up the peaks while the valleys gradually darken. OTOH, brass seems to stabilize after a while. It starts out shiny, gets dark with contact, and rubs out to a nice higher-contrast state… but then the dark areas gradually lighten with contact and settle into a relatively dull state.

I agree copper can patina in a splotchy pattern, and buffing it out will even it up.

I periodically partially remove my patina, both on knives and lights.
In this pic the collar of the reylight was highlighted, while the worm head patina was only partly removed. I polish with Jewelers cloth, such as sunshine cloth. But it wont get into the grooves, which is fine with me.

btw, vinegar (and ketchup) will remove patina from copper and brass, if you ever want to clean out the low points such as between the knurling…

For copper, I find all I have to do is rub it with my fingers every few months, like while watching a show or waiting for an appointment or otherwise idle with my hands free. It shines up the high areas but leaves the item still looking aged. A Jewelers cloth would probably be faster and shinier though.

When I transferred the Nichia 219 onto a 10mm SinkPad the new mcpcb was thicker, which left a gap between the tube and head on the little brass Pineapple. So this afternoon I stepped out in the shop and cut a couple of Telluruium Copper rings to put on each end. This allowed me to remove the clip, match the spacer at top, and then polish it up a little. :wink:

The Golden Pineapple, with it’s Copper adornments…

There Ya Go!!! Nice work Dale. That sets the little light off really nice!! I like that polished look too. :+1:

TL

Excellent review Dale. I hope to see more from you in the future.

The ring looks great. Nice idea.

Mine has been shipped from BG today. :partying_face:

Really appreciate the very detailed review and pics - thanks much!
Will definitely have to polish mine up a bit after seeing your results - BTW the copper ring looks great. Mine should be arriving Saturday…

Group buy on those copper rings? I could probably be persuaded to pay an inappropriate price for such things, cause they look awesome on that light!

Wow Dale, I lost track of this thread and missed the addition of the copper rings. It’s even more beautifuller now! :+1:

Does anyone care that brass is heavy? (In addition to smelly.)

Oh You Have GOT to be kidding! Heavy? This size? How many car/house keys are on your key ring? They’re brass too…

Quite simply, if a few grams is too much then this light is not for you. Everything cannot possibly always be for everybody.

Copper reacts to the germs in your hand’s oils, kills them, which creates a smell. Brass is only a small percentage copper, so while there is some smell, it’s negligible. Fill the truck up with diesel and you won’t even notice anything but the diesel residues on your hands. (the great downside to a Turbo Diesel VW or any other car/truck for that matter)

Seriously, if there are factors that do not fit into your idea of a perfect light, then look to the lights that feature what you believe makes a light perfect. This is a niche market targeted light. You may very well not be part of the niche market.

Not me. I actually prefer copper and its even heavier. And I like the smell.

Maybe I’m weird… :slight_smile:

Oh - I’m definitely out of the target demographic.

Both because 1. Brass and 2. I assume it’s over $30.00

wle

I’m confused…

This is a very well done review on a very nicely made “specialty” light.
Being in the “specialty” category it will not be to everyone’s liking but some of us, as enthusiasts, will adore such things.
What reason is there to step in and declare this light too heavy and too smelly when you have no interest in buying this light for those reasons?

BLF is a community of enthusiasts and many of us are “enthused” by different things. Please respect that.

Edit: On a positive note wle, for the record, I love your avatar. :+1: :wink:

Hello ToyKeeper, did look into fw tweaking, yet ?
I would be interested to change the modes.