Review: Xeno E03 XM-L (Pic heavy, beamshots)

The neutral white is 3C tint 5000K (not sure if it's T5 or T6). Same as the JB, Dereelight T6 3C. That's the highest NW you can go....and also there is slight green tint and the light has a very pale look to it.

5A series is really good, absolutely no problem with the high and the lowest modes, but some say 4000K is too warm.

C&P from a recent IM msg I sent:

"According to Cree's spec sheet emitter lumens @ 700ma: T4 240, T5 260

I believe on high with a 14500 the E03 draws 1.5a...so a difference of a little over 40L. So 557 vs 514 lumens at the emitter (out the front will of course be less). High on NiMh would be about 10L difference (220 vs 230).

My NW version is a T5 and it's really hard to say if the difference in output is noticeable...the different tints have far more of a effect."

---The T6 is rated at 280L @ 700ma which would equate to 600 emitter lumens at 1.5A (14500).

I found some beamshots at cpf. Between CW and NW seems to be not much difference. But with WW it looks much darker. Is there anyone that has the WW and the CW or NW that can tell me this picture is good or not?

Also found beamshots of the xeno XM-L T6 and the XP-G R5 and some other lights compared. Look here.

I don't know about the difference in brightness as I only have the neutral T5 but my light is warmer than that shown in the picture.

Same here. I very much like the neutral tint on my Xeno.

okay, since i own the Xeno E03 V3 too (XML T6 coolwhite), let me contribute to this thread with helpful info. here some runtime tests, and compare with the manual:

and also with the Polish site of runtime graphs.

test runs done with Protected (PCB) flamed TrustFire 3.7V 1x 14500 LiIon 900mAh cells freshly charged with UltraFire WF-188:

==========================================

hardly perceivable sloping brightness in Ultralow Mode (80lumens OTF, 300mA):

runtime test1: 3h24min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test2: 3h27min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test3: 3h30min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test4: 3h26min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

comment: the brightness level shortly before the PCB kicked in was almost as high as at the test start (80lumens). difficult to say, i'd estimate a brightness level difference of ~20% from start to end, and the gradual decrease in brightness is hardly perceivable. 80% of 80lumens is 64lumens. And that's when the PCB kicks in and the light shuts off abruptly. I am very glad about the runtime results: they are consistent in the 3h25min-3h30min range!!! Note that the manual suggests a runtime of "2.5hrs" only.

hardly perceivable sloping brightness in Low Mode (280lumens OTF, 1000mA):

runtime test1: 56min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test2: 56min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test3: 1h01min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test4: 1h01min, brightness ~constant, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

comment: torch gets very warm and should be heat-sinked by your cold hands. It doesnt get hot but it does get "very warm". brightness level remains constant high for most of the time but decreases notably ~5mins before shutting off: you can feel it in your hands how the torch gets colder after say 50mins. the light is still bright-ish (100+ lumens) when the PCB finally kicks in abruptly, so there's no real dimming effect. The manual reports 45mins. runtime, in my tests i get an average of ~58.5mins. Imho any runtimes under 1h suck, so here the Xeno already sucks. haha

perceivable sloping brightness in High Mode (430lumens OTF, 1500mA):

runtime test1: 41min, brightness sloping, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test2: 41min, brightness sloping, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test3: 41min, brightness sloping, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test4: 39min, brightness sloping, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

runtime test5: 39min, brightness sloping, then sudden light off (PCB kicked in?)

comment: this test series was conducted with the torch immersed in a glass of cold water for optimal heat sinking. given the fact that the manual predicts a runtime of 20mins i am very pleased with the 4 tests, getting an average of ~40mins. the decrease in brightness during the first 30mins is somewhat notable but not severe, only after that is it really notable. nevertheless i would call the output "very bright" when the PCB kicks in and shuts off the light. it is possible to turn on the light again (preferrably in Low mode oder Ultralow mode, of course!) for another few seconds/minutes. test5 was run in my bare cold hands. there is no problem with overheating as long as you heat sink the torch with your cold hands and eventually alternate hands. heat (hot temperature!) will accumulate only if the torch is left on its own, e.g. in tailstand on a desk in the living room. In the hands, the torch will feel warm (or very warm) but not hot. So if you want to redo the tests on your own, no need to immerse the torch into water. Use your bare hands and hold it!

14500's runtime & performance summary:

To me, the 14500's are the more interesting cell option here: The E03 is a light for flashaholics (430 lumens OTF WTF) and this matches the 14500 requirement. 14500 are cells for flashaholics, that simple. In fact, i dont own any eneloops or other NiMH's to test in the E03; one day i might buy a AA/AAA NiMH charger (Sanyo) and AA/AAA eneloops. I might. (and only if i am bored with life lol)

See above results suggest that we get roughly ~40mins on High, ~55+mins on Low, and ~3h25min on UltraLow. The current regulation (No PWM, great!) does an agreeable job in all three modes, and the decline of brightness is only notable some 5-10mins before the light is shut off by the PCB of the Protected 14500 cell.

This is quite fantastic performance of the Xeno E03 v3 and much better than indicated by the printed manual. If you need longer runtimes, then use 1.2V eneloops instead -- light output will be dull though since there is no way you could make a Cree XML LED glare by 1.2 Volts; not even 4Sevens or Zebralight can do any magic in this case. As a pseudo-flashaholic i've gotten used to the bright output levels of the XML fired by LiIon cells. I feed LiIon's to any of my EDC torches, be it EagleTac, Quarks, Romisen, iTP A3 EOS, or the Xeno .. and they are a perfect match: hitec high performance Cree LED flashlights <=> LiIon cells

Keep in mind that my tests were run with this specific product:

hope this helps!

i finally bought a set of Eneloop stuffz, charger analyzer, and DMM. since the Xeno E03's brightness is terribly regulated it was rather arbitrary when i interrupted the testruns. However i am able to indicate the cell's state of depletion by its remaining voltage and consumed capacity. From these numbers you can tell the "quality" of the testrun's end (its timing). In the below Eneloop runtime tests i have used the Xeno E03 V3 XML T5 NeutralWhite.

perceivable sloping brightness in High Mode (120lumens** OTF, 350mA):

In HIGH-Mode the runtime is pretty much exact 1.0hrs minimum as suggested by the printed manual. By that time the Eneloop is down to 1.20V (voltage at rest) and about 1800mAh have been consumed. Then the light begins to dim and cool down rather fast and after 65-70mins it's time to stop the runtime (50% decline in brightness). Here are some details on the testruns:

High-mode (XML T5 NW)
testrun stopped remaining offline voltage recoverable to capacity consumed
Eneloop cell#1 & testrun#1 60mins ~1.08V 1.2108V 1833mAh
Eneloop cell#2 & testrun#2 65mins ~0.88V 1.1893V ?mAh
Eneloop cell#3 & testrun#3 67mins ~0.93V 1.1966V 1792mAh
Eneloop cell#4 & testrun#4 73mins ~0.84V 1.1680V 1842mAh

in the above table, testrun#3 doesnt seem consistent with the other data points but it does fit the overall picture: after 60mins the Eneloop cell is so depleted that it cant provide the high current required to maintain the high brightness level any longer. the result is: the light drops out of regulation and the remaining capacity (~200mAh) is being consumed for lower light output: dim light for extended time. That's the point where the user should exchange the Eneloop cell! On his sample, selfbuilt had measured a runtime of 54min to 50% brightness.

constant brightness in Low Mode (45lumens** OTF, 150mA):

In the below table we're testing the middle brightness level called "Low-mode". The manual indicates a runtime of about 4 hours:

Low-mode (XML T5 NW)
testrun stopped remaining offline voltage recoverable to capacity consumed
Eneloop cell#1 & testrun#1 4h5min ~0.84V 1.1519V 1975mAh
Eneloop cell#2 & testrun#2 4h0min ~0.85V 1.1811V 1964mAh
Eneloop cell#3 & testrun#3 3h55min ~1.236V 1.2716V 1571mAh
Eneloop cell#4 & testrun#4 tba tba tba tba

In so-called Low-mode i indeed clocked a runtime of almost 4.0hrs after which the light dims very fast. Easy to determine, that's the point when to interrupt the testrun and stop the time. The LED may emit sub-moonlight for some more time before it drops dead and the cell is totally depleted but this is irrelevant because by that time you would have already exchanged the Eneloop cell. On his sample, selfbuilt had measured a runtime of 4h42min to 50% brightness.

constant brightness in Ultralow Mode (20lumens** OTF, 20mA):

Ultralow-mode (XML T5 NW) testrun stopped remaining offline voltage recoverable to capacity consumed
Eneloop cell#1 & testrun#1 35h1m30s ~0.84V 1.1486V 1973mAh
Eneloop cell#2 & testrun#2 tba tba tba tba

In Ultralow-mode the light is fully regulated and brightness is perfectly constant. Within the last 6mins of the testrun the light drops out of regulation and dims very quickly and at 35:01:30 the light drops dead: the Eneloop cell is 100% depleted (voltage 1.1486V at rest). This result is surprising because the manual indicates a runtime of mere 20h in Ultra Low mode (XML T6 CW). From the 2 testruns it is safe to assume an average runtime of 35.0hrs in Ultralow-mode (XML T5 NW).

**these lumen ratings are taken from the manual and are valid for the XML T6 CoolWhite LED option only. the here tested XML T5 NeutralWhite LED option is considerably dimmer, so you may multiply the stated number with factor (400/430=) 93%., e.g. in High-mode the Eneloop output should be around 0.93*120lm =111lm. and as noted earlier, the runtimes are measured for the T5 NW. The T6 CW has minimally longer runtimes.

Kreisler, looks like the linear driver current regulation really nets the light some great run times there. Thanks for doing so many tests multiple times for verification.

oh, thanks for thanking ;)

too bad that i couldnt provide any graphical visualizations or time-lapse videos or exact measurements (voltages, amperages, candelas, lumens, lux, etc.). whoever does need graphs, can look them up on CPF (selfbuilt) who used Protected AW 14500 750mAh and Xeno E03 XML NeutralWhite. i got considerably better runtimes than him, yay!

My next runtime tests and review will be for the Lumintop Worm (1x AAA/no 16440!). The problem is that it has insane runtimes, doesnt run on Protected LiIon cells (so there's no PCB which could possibly kick in!), and i dont have any proper means to charge and check the status of my NiMH-cells (Varta. i dont own Eneloops.). i recharge the Varta cells with my cordless house phone lol.

I also plan to buy the iTP A3 Titanium (XP-G R5) so that i can compare the Lumintop Worm with it (brightness levels, regulation, runtimes). So far i love(!) my 2 Worms and the Xeno E03!!!

I have been EDC the E03 for 2 months now, it is OK.

With the Fenix clip it is no bigger than one of my knives to pocket.

BTW, when i first looked, i never saw threads, I was using E "letter o", it is really E "number 0" 3

this is bullcr*p. actually my E03 is flickering with 14500's too lol!

it's not big of a deal .., i can live with it. May main 1x AA lights are Romisen RC-29 (so beautiful, so fun), and my new Quark X AA.

Well, if anyone knows how to fix this (or what the true origin of the flickering is), then please speak up and illuminate us? ;)

While it's obvious how to disassemble the XENO heads, i am certain that hardly anybody has ever done it (for various reason). One good reason: the stainless steel bezel is firmly tightened and cant be loosened without special tools/wrench.

For our records, the above quote tells us how to, and the below link shows us the result (cool photographs):

CPF: Xeno E03 - almost a review / chenko, 04-10-2011

You fix the flickering by taking out the switch from the tail, and penetrate it with wd-40. That has fixed mine and several other flashlights.

Just ordered a black E03 V3 XM-L T6 from Illumination Gear, and a couple of Trustfire 14500 Flames from Manifont. I should have the Xeno in a couple of days, probably a couple of weeks for the 14500's. Can't wait!

I also had a flickering on my E03 XP-G version, but in my case it was the tailswitch that caused it. The moment I changed the switch against the provided spare one... the flickering was gone on all battery types.

Only thing that stopped me from ordering this light in the past are those awful looking finger grooves.

But looking at the great pics in this thread, I really like the light in blue.

So can someone please comment, do to the finger grooves do anything? Do they help you hold the light, or aid in grip?...etc...? Thanks.

i think they do make the light easier/more comfortable to grip.

Agreed, and many I've shown the light to really like the finger grooves.

Hi everyone,

My 1st post, but reading BLF from few months back

I'm from Singapore.

Ordered Black E03 XML cool white from HKequipment, last week and waiting for it.

It is for my son who will be going Taiwan for military training.

Likely will be using disposal AA for his overseas stint as I dont think there access to a power point for charging Li-on.

*FYI* here are my own weight measurements of Xeno E03 V3 XML T5 NeutralWhite, in red body color (without battery):

18 green o-rings: 2.466g

1 green o-ring: (2.466g /18=) 0.137g

head&body integrated design incl 2 green o-rings: 40.455g [40g]

tail: 8.579g [9g]

full torch, w/o green o-rings: (40.455 + 8.579 - 2*0.137 =) 48.760g [49g]

full torch as seen in picture: 49.039g [49g]

My e03 arrived today and I am really happy with it. Perfect size and weight for an EDC. Can't wait to try some 14500's but DE let me down on my order. Does anyone know if there're any UK suppliers that are cheap for batteries.l