Review: Xeno E03 XM-L (Pic heavy, beamshots)

I know i want one for sure......need to dig deeper in my empty wallet lol.

Who actually sells this light other than the company listed in the first post. Do any of the usual discount dealers carry it?

If you want cool white, this is the cheapest USA seller I have found, $29.95 shipped:

http://www.emergencymatters.com/cat--Flashlights--83

I ordered my E03 from HKE Equipment in Hong Kong. It took about two weeks.

I ordered V2 but V3 was delivered; I am happy.

The prices at US Dealers are about the same and it comes in 3 days usually.

Tactical HID has a good reputation for customer service. He has a site and also sells thru CPF Marketplace.

I don't know anything about Emergency Matters.

I got mine from illuminationgear.com. They ship fast! Got it in two days. 32.99 shipped. They only have v2 CW in black.
http://www.illuminationgear.com/354924.html

I just got mine from Tactical HID yesterday. It is a very nice light; black NW, V3 as far as I can tell (0711 marking). It has the less aggressive knurl and less prominent grooves (both of which I am happy with)...but the "old" GITD smaller tail cap! That surprised me after reading and seeing all the reports of it changing to the 14mm black version. I threw a Fenix clip on it on a recommendation I read here, and now I need to get the black tail cap from LightHound: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/2319#comment-49562.

Anyone know/tried if the Xeno E03 is moddable? planning to mod mine with a Hi Cri XPG emitter. tnx

The emitter is mounted on a pill that is easily unscrewed.

Do you know how this can be done? Have you seen anyone done this before?

Thanks

I've done it myself, and just disassembled it again to make sure...

Unscrew the bezel ring.

Tap out the lens, o-ring & reflector.

Unscrew the brass pill (it comes out the front just like the rest of the components).

That's all there is to it. The bezel ring might be a bit tight but nothing is glued or epoxied so you don't need to heat up the host to loosen anything.

Snap ring pliers will of course make everything easier.

Thanks for the information, you are very helpful. I think I will be modding the new R5 version that I just ordered instead of the XML. Will post my mod once I receive the light.

Is everyone who has this light still happy with it after you've had it for a while? I was reading (on CPF I think) regarding a few issues. Someone had a bad switch. A second switch is included I think but the switch itself looked kind of flimsy.

There were three beam shots reflecting the various tints available (Cool white, neutral and warm). Cool white looks kind of bluish (probably within the normal range), neutral didn't look much different than cool white and warm looked very warm (as in too warm IMO).

It was also mentioned that the tail cap retaining ring is plastic. This was along with the other things I've read about elsewhere (tight mode spacing with 14500 and gets hot fast).

So, I was just wondering if any issues have come up for any of you who have now owned one of the XM-L versions of this light for a while?

None that I didn't know about. My neutral looks distinctly warmer than the cool white for me. With fully charged 14500 mode spacing is good but high and medium gets closer faster as the battery depletes. Probably half way through I find it hard to distinguish H-M already. Yes retaining seems to be plastic.

I'm still happy with it.

The switch is indeed plastic & a bit cheap but so are the majority of switches on budget (and even more expensive) lights these days.

Have not had any problems with mine so far.

The spring in the tail has been more of a concern for me. It is very thin and doesn't like to stay centered in the retaining ring. I much preferred the spring on the earlier E09

My neutral tint light is definitely less blue/cool shifted than the one in the pic you are referencing. It might vary between batches.

The warm one I have is very close to the photo (ie very/almost incandescent warm).

Yes it is plastic. Has not given me any major problems. After a number of battery changes sometimes I've found it necessary to remove the ring & spring to reseat everything but I think that is more of an issue with the spring than the ring itself.

On 14500 the mode spacing is not ideal and you lose a real 'low' low....but I just use it on medium the majority of the time as it works fine for my needs. Heat is more of an issue on high...which I rarely need.

All in all I am still happy with the E03. It has held up well without any major problems and still performs as when new.

I am thinking about buying this light and I'm doubting between the CW T6 and the WW T4 version. The only thing holding me back of ordering the WW is the loss in lumen. Is the loss off lumen visible by the naked eye or is it so small that you can only see it by measuring it?

Split the difference and go for the Neutral White (NW) T5...you will not be disappointed.

If tint really matters to you the reduction in lumens would almost never be an issue for any light. Percentage-wise it's never significant considering the increases/decreases in lumen required before our eyes notice any major difference.

The neutral white is 3C tint 5000K (not sure if it's T5 or T6). Same as the JB, Dereelight T6 3C. That's the highest NW you can go....and also there is slight green tint and the light has a very pale look to it.

5A series is really good, absolutely no problem with the high and the lowest modes, but some say 4000K is too warm.

C&P from a recent IM msg I sent:

"According to Cree's spec sheet emitter lumens @ 700ma: T4 240, T5 260

I believe on high with a 14500 the E03 draws 1.5a...so a difference of a little over 40L. So 557 vs 514 lumens at the emitter (out the front will of course be less). High on NiMh would be about 10L difference (220 vs 230).

My NW version is a T5 and it's really hard to say if the difference in output is noticeable...the different tints have far more of a effect."

---The T6 is rated at 280L @ 700ma which would equate to 600 emitter lumens at 1.5A (14500).

I found some beamshots at cpf. Between CW and NW seems to be not much difference. But with WW it looks much darker. Is there anyone that has the WW and the CW or NW that can tell me this picture is good or not?

Also found beamshots of the xeno XM-L T6 and the XP-G R5 and some other lights compared. Look here.