Review: Xtar TZ58 (pre-release)

It's the ....I passed out in the alley shot ..

OMG are you saying the leprechauns are taking beam shots too ??

Time for more beam shots ...James Beam

Thanks a lot for your very nice review. Flashlight Foy! Smile

Is the working voltage 4.2V for one 18650 only or more available for 2xCR123A as well?

Working voltage is 2.9V-8.4V. I'll add it to the review. Xtar sent me the info after . . .

Foy

Thanks for your reply.

After seeing HKJ's review https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/6662 I wanted to provide an update after using this torch for a couple of weeks.

I'll repeat what I said in HKJ's thread; because I suspect a street price of around $90, I've endeavoured to be somewhat critical as I feel this price point will justify high expectations from most buyers. These last two weeks have shown me that few will be disappointed; the TZ58 does a lot of things very well. It would do those things even better if it were driven a little harder but even as it is, it is a hard light for me to hate. It is great at work where it's clip and handy size are perfect for my shorts side pocket. The wide cuts in the bezel make it an ideal head-standing bed side light and its beautiful beam profile and generous spill make it a go-to light for taking-the-trash-to-the-street duty.

The more I use it, the more I like it.

Foy

4-28-13 update

When this light arrived, I didn't know it was coming and had no idea why it was sent to me. Before this, Xtar had sent me a few lights (4, I think) for review after contacting me beforehand. Turns out, I was right about it being a pre-release model and I wasn't the only person to get one like this. For a flashlight whack-job like me, having a manufacturer send a pre-production model (before graphics application, even) for review made Foy briefly think he was actually a real professional. Of course, I am not but it was a real kick having this torch come to me the way it did. And, it was important that I put that aside so that I could deliver an honest review that didn't simply reward the manufacturer for "giving" me a free flashlight.

Some amount of bias is almost impossible to avoid but when a seller provides a product for review, it is not a gift, no matter how much it cost. The reviewer is doing the seller a favor, not the other way around. I think too many sellers miss out on a lot of potential sales because they can't bring themselves to pony up a light for review, or they limit their samples to the least expensive models.

Anyway, rant aside, my TZ58 still works great.

Foy