Ridiculous Lumens Claims

and yeah that looks like my driver :slight_smile:

Well, add it up. 3 cells in series, so ~12v. Assume 3A tail, so 12x3 = 36, so 36 watts divided by 9 LEDs, so bout 4W per LED, (4v x 1A). I've roughly estimating, but some #'s are actually lower, some higher, so could be in the ballpark.

Now let's look at hard data - I measured ~3,100 lumens at 3A tail - so it's 344 lumens per LED. So 1A per LED to get ~350 lumens -- yes, seems to make some sense, in the ballpark. These cheaper boost drivers do have loss's along the way, as well as loss's from the crappy springs, thin wires, etc., where voltage is lost due to resistance.

The 18,000 lumen claim is supposedly a 15 emitter light. That should, theoretically, be doable at a “mere” 1200 lumens per emitter. This would only require about 3.25A ea. But of course, that’s where it get’s ludicrous. As it would take 48.75A to accomplish such a feat!

The emitters can do it, the cells can’t.

The Chinese lumens are based on the Cree datasheet as to what the emitter is capable of, not what their light actually makes.

And I believe there are a few people here that have gotten fairly close to 2000 lumens from an XM-L2. I’ve gotten over 1700.

Some of these multi-emitter lights are a bargain solely on the basis of parts acquisition…

anyway I didnt really expect a whole lot after reading your guys posts… but still its a nice light :slight_smile: I’m happy with it… for now :slight_smile: now to finish my handmade build for the contest… just the case part to do…
everything else was connected and tested :slight_smile:

The four 26650 batteries in series lights should be large and heavy enough to make pretty good clubs! One thing I like about my Fenix TK75 and my two just arrived Mountain Electronics modified SupFire M6 lights is their practical size while still putting out LOTS of light. For most people the big club lights are just not that practical even if they did put out the claimed amount of light.

Those plunger style lights with 9x/12x/15x/a cone head/26650 tube seem to be able to pump ~7000 lumens stock. I’ve seen 3 posts indicating this and none to the contrary. Supernight was one of the brands, but the Ultrafire branded ones are practically identical afaik.

I believe 18six was supposed to do a review on one, but I don’t think it has come out yet.

Found the thread, also they’re down to $60 on amazon!

The claims must be true! Look at all the 5 star Trust Fire battery reviews. Lumens-mAh, phff. Heck with the math, people still buy!

If you ASSume 3a=1000l one can come close to the real output.
are all emitters in series?series parralel?
also remember that even if your batteries can drive that 15led monster to full output 3a/led there isn’t enough heatsink there to sustain it.
also subtract losses of reflectors,lense,ect.

I think I’ve been hesitant to buy any of these multi-emitter lights for the heat issues. I mean, a single hard driven emitter can make more heat than even a good host can disperse. 3 emitters even moderately driven also create a lot of heat, and again most 3 emitter hosts are not really up to the task. 7 emitters? And more? It would seem to me that unless they resemble a cast aluminum sports car wheel they are just gonna suck at the heat game.

Remember when LED’s were touted as running cool? hahaha, I guess that’s back when people followed manufacturer recommended power levels. 700mA to an XM-L2? Really? Not in any of MY lights! lol

What we need now are the cell manufacturers to up their ante, and some switch manufacturers to do the same. Then we could rock on… Has anyone else noticed the 1.25A rating on many of the switches? That’s at 125V, how do we interpret that? I have a basic reverse clicky that looks like a Solarforce in a light that will pull over 11A (single emitter, 18350 cell), will the switch hold? What if we had 3 of these emitters pulling 30-40A? Where do we get a switch for that? 15 emitters at 11A each? Fuggitaboutit!

Post #11, in this thread??

Are you serious? Where exactly - what thread, what post#'s did you see actual lumen measurements posted on a stock light? With these lights, like, most, the biggest factor is amps to the LED's. Most of these lights tone the amps down because of blown drivers, melted springs, etc.

That SuperNight off of Amazon is a true "Direct Drive" driver - note they say "Don't Use Batteries with PCB Protection"? Wow - that's a scary thought -- 13A draw, batteries in series with no protection circuitry --- ripe for something going very wrong, very quickly.... This is a very rare light (wired springs in a Chinese stock light?), not typical for a big multi-emitter...

Dale: e-switch with an e-switch driver... Eliminates the "big bang" power turn on of high amps... Eliminates the need for super power handling switch's.

11 A from a single 18350, I doubt it for very long. Certainly WAY above the battery makers ratings I would think. If so, what make and model of battery?

As for switches, so far as I know most high power lights are now using solid state electronic switching with the actual mechanical switch just carrying milliamps or less to control the switching electronics. Thus parasitic draw to the electronic switch circuitry even when the light is off. 15+ amps through a low voltage DC switch sounds like an invitation to arc welding contacts!

With current battery technology I am not sure that anything over three emitters makes too much sense. Mountain Electronics maximum hopped up SupFire M6 reportedly is drawing in the 6.5A per LED range on Turbo mode and Richard specifically recommends certain high current 18650 batteries for it if true maximum output is wanted. What would you get out with a batch of weak kneed UltraFart batteries?

Adding emitters is good for efficiency (lm/W) though. If I'm okay with lots of flood, I want more emitters...although paying for all the copper mcpcb's and upgraded emitters can approach the price of showerhead lights.

I'm fairly certain these were just estimations based on tailcap readings. there was one other post in a 'high output flashlights' thread with the same form factor light and then 18sixfifty's preliminary findings on his review sample(s).

Definitely far exceeding the typical ~3k lumen output of stock, budget, large form factor, multiemitter light though.

it all really boils down to the only solid info of that one post with the 13A reading. 18six50 is taking his merry time in completing the in depth review I've been waiting 3 months for. :P

Yes - early on, like 1+ to 2 yrs ago, the big 9X lights were first getting bout 6A at the tail with 3 cells, so maybe truly 4,500 lumen range. I don't think you can get those anymore - it's been more like 3A at the tail. Now however with that crazy SuperNight light, they are goin DD and using XML's on crap alum stars, that have lower Vf demand and can be run at higher amps. If you upgraded to XM-L2's on copper, the amps will drop because of the higher Vf demand. It's a knock on upgrading to proper LED's - should gain 15-20% in output, but the lost amps, maybe break even, maybe 5-10% increase... This is the problem with DD drivers of course at high amps -- voltage/resistance is much more important...

I don't think these lights will last very long in the market - too many returns/frsutrations/blown LED's, etc.... First of all, you have to use unprotected cells -- a lot of people won't realize that.

All this multi-emitter talk got me going…straight to the bench! :slight_smile: I now have a light doing 1356 lumens from 3 XM-L emitters. Not outstanding, you might say. But when you realize it’s 7.47A to 3 XM-L’s that are de-domed, in a chopped AA mini-mag running off a single AW IMR14500 cell, well things get a bit more interesting! :wink:

And no, it’s not a long term search light to be sure…

3X's are toys - specially ones you can fit in your pocket... Smile. I'm in big light mode in this thread...

At least the Amazon listings from the seller that have been linked to in the multi emitter lights thread linked to from this one are now pretty well emphasizing this in red letters. Based though on some of the very dumb questions asked about some products though a lot of Amazon buyers do not read the specs or do realize that many Amazon descriptions contain major errors.

My concern is whether or not people who do not know the difference between protected and unprotected cells should even be messing with this category of lights? :exmark:

Rich, have you seen who they let drive these days?

Just remember that if the median IQ is 100 then 1/2 the population is below that in intelligence. Look who they elect! Also 1/2 the doctors, lawyers and engineers in the world finished in the bottom half of their classes. :open_mouth: :beer: