S2 triple - direct drive?

Hi there, I was thinking of building my first “proper” build - using RMM’s “CREE XP-L High-Intensity U5 5000K LEDs on NOCTIGON 3XP MCPCB” , on a great copper heatsink I got from Kiriba-ru, with Carclo 10507 optics.
I have a Fet + 7135 driver I can use on it, but would like to try it direct drive first, with a decent Samsung IMR 30A 18650. I realise this would be pretty unusable due to the heat - but would I also be likely to smoke the switch? And if so, is there any direct (or near direct) replacement switch I can change to?
I’ll probably go to the Fet+7135 driver after the novelty has worn off (and the battery is soft!), but I’d like to try it.
I have S2s and S2+ torches, plenty of each - would the blue S2+ be more robust due to it’s metal switch?

Apologies for all the questions, I have a lot to learn - but any help is appreciated!

Many thanks,

Patrick.

First I’ll say that a FET driver really is direct drive. You might gain 1% by not having the tiny bit of resistance in the FET, but you’ll lose a lot more functionality by not having a driver. It’s fun to experiment, I just don’t want you to be disappointed when there isn’t much of a performance difference.

In regards to the switch, no matter what version S2/S2+ you get, the actual switch is the same part. It’s just the cover over the top that is metal on the S2+. That being said, the switches used in a genuine Convoy are good ones, they can handle a direct-drive triple without trouble. Most people do not change them out. The part is an Omten 1288 if you want to look it up. You will want to bypass the springs however.

Hi
Here are some switch tests:

Here are some high current switches:

If you are talking about this driver (Astrolux S1/BLF A6 A17DD-L FET+1 2,8-4,35v 7/4-Modi-Taschenlampen-Treiber-Taschenlampenzubehör Sale - Banggood Deutschland-arrival notice-arrival notice) - it is DD driver - so there is minor difference to direct connection of wires to LEDs (this FET internal resistance ~ 1-4mOhm).

Just use the FET driver. My S3 triple is great. DD on the FET, with the same triple XP-L HI and I’ve not blown anything up yet.

Great stuff, thanks! The driver I was going to use is this one from RMM - http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=480&search=MTN17DDm
So it sounds like it isn’t worth bothering with direct drive at all, just go straight for the build using the driver?
I already have the braided copper to bypass the springs, that’s no problem.
And as for the switch, that’s good to know that it should handle it - I had heard the “1288” and “Omten” bandied about, but it turns out that Omtem make rather a lot of different switches!
I shall have a better google now, as I thought the 1288 and the Omtem were two different switches!

Many thanks,

Patrick.