Sanyo Mystery Cells

If they get hot to the touch while charging and don’t terminate then they are toast, the internal resistance is high and they are probably not going to work well in capacity retention/output.

Those are not GAs. Probably some ollld LCO 2.2ish Ah cells.

The can printing is useless for IDing them. The model will be embossed on the wrapper just like the Sanyo was. Likely a “UR18650x”. Find that and you’ll have your answer.

I’d discharge them in a safe place and recycle asap.

Apparently there are some old Sanyos that didnt print the model number anywhere on the cell. Debate about what the where originally, but alas, they are junk now

After looking at them in better light they are definitely stamped Ur18650a r1112 n44b

It was hidden under some of the goo from the original assembly

I had no expectations of them being useful. This was more an educational exercise, I’d never tore open a laptop battery and I was curious if they had used decent cells in a terrible laptop

Glad you got your answer! Sorry if I came off with a dismissive tone. Learning or educating is always worth the exercise.

I have some of these from a laptop pull can’t remember the name of them except they are Sanyo, they are old and low amperage draw and capacity is around about 2000mah i think.

They charge up ‘hot’ so there’s some high I.R.s going on, but if not all, they might still be serviceable?

I harvested two Sony VAIO packs and got 16 useable 2000mAh 18650s that are date coded 2002 and they work at about 75% capacity. I charge them up at 500 mA and try not to discharge them at more that 1A.

You never know!

Chris

I wouldn’t bother with these… You don’t want the risk of something going wrong while charging unattended.

Some laptop pulls can result in decent cells. I’ve had good luck with HP battery packs. But AFAIK, you never get any real gems in these laptop battery packs. Just your run of the mill average performers, which can be just fine for general applications (no high amperage demand flashlights).

Got a bunch of very similar ones out of old-new stock laptop packs many years ago. They seemed decent to start but I was new to 18650. They don’t hold up well at all. Poor current capability from the start. Capacity down, and IR up in a few years of pretty easy service. Never abused.
Maybe because they have never been used hard, they still charge and behave OK. Major use now is an 8-bay powerbank and low draw lights.
Glad I got the packs cheap, because their main benefit has been learning what not to buy.

The UR18650 are some of the better ICR type li-ions. They are very prolific in Dell, HP/Compaq machines and some Acer, Panasonic, and Fujitsu machines. They came in 2600 mAh mostly. If they’re down to 2.2 v, its iffy on successfully recovering them unless you basically trickle chargw them at like 100 mAh. And let them rest for a couple days to see how they hold that charge. If they hold over 4.12 volts or so, I’d say success and use them for CDR under 2 amps.

if in good condition those are quite useful in non demanding lights.
i have plenty of these in my homebrew powerwall.
looks like yours might be eol.
common failure mode in those cells is heating up over 4v and failing to terminate.
plenty of info out there about this.
search red sanyo heaters.
if yours exhibit this failure discharge them and recycle.

What is a homebrew powerwall?

a homebrew version of the tesla powerwall.
its a battery for solar storage.

How does it balance cells and charge them since i am assuming they are not matched?
Do you have any links on how to build it?

You Test them for capacity and if you’re really into it for Resistance also —-then you sort them out to where you make a balanced pack — Then you use a BMS
(battery management system) to run you pack in said parameters —— If you build it right they stay fairly balanced

https://secondlifestorage.com/index.php?threads/sanyo-ur18650a-cell-spec…

This guy here does some serious stuff

They are not GAs. GAs are raised flat tops, and as far as I can remember, never used in batt packs.

I used to harvest those same flat tops from a working pack yet heated up extremely hot it nearly ruined my beloved Pila IBC charger back in my early days.

Those red Sanyos are notorious heaters, beware of them, better recycle.

Pila IBC… nostalgia