SC21 Nichia 519A???????

Hey, there! ( I was a little thrown off by the change and it took some time to get used to. But after spending some time with the new version, I have to say that I actually really like it now! :smile:) As many of you know, the current version of the SC21 uses the Samsung H351D LED. However, we’re interested in exploring different options to see what the flashlight community prefers. I’m curious to hear which LEDs you prefer to use in the Sofirn SC21. We’ve been considering to use Nichia 519A.

I’ve attached teo beam images to this thread. Can you guess which one uses the Samsung H351D and which one uses the Nichia 519A? Let me know in the comments!

I’d love to hear your thoughts on whether or not it’s necessary to make two versions with different LEDs. I’m excited to hear what you all think. As always, we value your input and want to make sure we’re providing the best products possible.

4 Thanks

Yes Please offer Nichia 519a in Sofirn SC21.

I have been buying SC21 Pro and putting 519a LEDs in them and they work very well.

stock LH351d:

change to dedomed 5700K 519a:

I especially like to dedome the 519a 5700K and 519a 3000K LEDs, but even if you do not dedome, those would be the top two cct I would suggest you offer.

the 519a is a great LED, and extremely popular right now… highly recommend you offer them in any and all your lights that presently use LH351d

3 Thanks

The SC21 would be a great light with the 519a.

1 Thank

Good idea.

In addition, shorten the light. Flat tailcap, short head with TIR optics would make it a nicer light.

4 Thanks

Yes for SC21 but also yes for SP36 and Q8 pro :innocent:

The sc21 is great (my go to light for a year now). Adding a nichia 519A makes it even better.
Would also like to see full LVP on the light (including lower levels). Any chance of updating that as well?

1 Thank

519 on the right. Yes great idea :blush:

1 Thank

This is a too little too late situation for Sofirn, the first mistake was using a 16340 instead of an 18350, the parasitic drain and no LVP on the standard model was enough for me to get rid of mine. Also reps promised in the beginning this would never utilize Anduril, which later they did when there was enough time to pass for enough people to have bought them.

TLDR
Scrap this and put 519a in the SP10 pro and call it a day!

1 Thank

Just put 519a option for everything :slight_smile:
sc31pro with 18350 tube is only slightly bigger than sc21, basically making it a ‘sc21 18350’

4 Thanks

Definitely 519.

1 Thank

Offering the 519A with a choice of a few different CCT would be a great idea. I have an SC21Pro and it now has a 519A (4500K). The size is perfect; I would not want it any shorter or any fatter.

My SP10Pro has the same emitter now as well.

If the bezel was not glued in place it would be beneficial to those who like to have a de-domed emitter. Real easy to do to a 519A.

2 Thanks

Good to see you post again, Sofirn! Tell us about the new lights! :slight_smile:

Very glad to hear you considering new emitters, especially the 519A. It is a wonderful emitter with good output and very nice quality beams. Seems to play well in all of our usual reflectors and optics with no special spacing or focusing needed. It has found its way into SO MANY lights from many manufacturers over the last year. It would be great to see it in Sofirn lights. Important to choose the good bins if possible and many people demand the R9080 high CRI versions (they really are nice).

The LH351D is still a great emitter but many people seem to dislike it and the SST20/40 these days…maybe because the 519A has offered so much. I guess you guys had some bins of LH351D that were on the greener side of tint and many complained about that (even thinking that it is a bad emitter, which of course it is not…just not as pretty in those bins).

Nichia also has the 719A flat emitter which we will see soon in lights from Convoy and Emisar/Noctigon. It’s the same 3535 size but has some different voltage requirements so new drivers would have to be designed for it. We don’t know much about it yet but it looks like it should be a good one for flashlights with medium sized reflectors. Maybe you guys could look at testing some samples, too.

Also…many people complaining about fast step-down in brightness from lights using FET drivers these days (all brands), so if you can develop more drivers with regulated current it would bring in more sales even if it costs more money. :slight_smile:

5 Thanks

Yes

1 Thank

519a + LVP is a dream!

I would like the 519A to replace the LH351D on several Sofirn models, such as the SC21/SC21 Pro, SP10v3/SP10 Pro, SP40, D25L, (Wurkkos) HD15/HD20.

2 Thanks

I like the Samsung LH351D better than the Cree XM-L2, but if you want to sell more flashlights, you should start using the Nichia 519A.

4 Thanks

Sofirn mentioned on the LT1S Pro thread that the 519A emitters are hard to get in large numbers these days. I believe they had enough for an initial run of the lantern, but then would be switching back to the LH351D. (maybe until they can get a dependable supply of the 519A ??) People like the 519A, but they can’t sell any lights if they have no LEDs to put in them.
So there is that…

when nichia?

1 Thank